• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HELP Im Drowning

Gwigga

Getting back into the world of Nitro as my girlfriends kids are interested in doing it as well... hell of an excuse :lol:

I've narrowed it down if you can say that to these RTR's

MIxture of surfaces including cut grass playing fields etc

Pro's and Con's of Each of them

HoBao Hyper 7 TQ2 RTR .21 3-Port Edition

HoBao Hyper 7 TQ2 RTR Mach .28 Edition

Other than the obvious engine difference is one any better than the other

FTX Carnage NT 1/10th RTR 4WD Nitro Truck - Added in as will be running on grass mostly, but it is cut grass playing field, under dog on price but..

HPI Trophy 3.5v2 Buggy 2.4GHz RTR

Kyosho Inferno NEO 2.0

HPI Bullet MT 3.0 RTR 2.4GHz

As you can see ive really narrowed it down! It will be used for general bashing. Any help much appreciated

Edited by Gwigga

dont think parts support in the uk is that good with the hong nor's, might be wrong though

Yeah your wrong bud ....plenty of spares on eBay but SMD models stock every spare part you'll need not that you'll need much as the hong nor is built like a tank ;)

Have considered this http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hong-nor-x3-sabre-rtr-nitro-buggy-2.4ghz-.28-nitro-engine/rc-car-products/384041

It's a better buggy than all above it has a decent engine and comes with 6v hump pack and charger

Hi

Thanks for thew quick reply. other than the engine and the battery what makes it better than the others. I've not had much to do with that brand before?

Well compared to the hyper buggy the hong nor is a next gen buggy.Nothing wrong with the hyper 7 it's just a very old buggy the x3 is more upto date and will out handle the hyper and is just as strong.Alot of x3 pro buggys in the racing scene and they do very well.

For me the hong nor is a much better deal if I was buying an rtr model to bash but like I say nothing wrong with the hyper 7's

hyper 7 nearly 11,000 results on ebay, hong nor 151 results...

That's not the point though bud if you need parts smd models have all the parts in stock and all the pro upgrades in stock if you feel the need to bling it up.There's plenty of spares out there for the x3 it's a very popular buggy and much better than the very old hyper 7 series

Edited by tomr

Kyosho neo 2.0 without a doubt. Best spec. Dead easy to tune, parts are readily available contrary to popular belief. I have the neo 2.0 and the hyper 7 21 3 port and have to say that the build quality of the kyosho is much better.

Can't agree with that that bud

Kyosho are still using Phillips head screws ,the engines arnt great and as for spec it's a very old design and Kyosho even think plastic shocks on a 1/8 buggy is ok :(

Edited by tomr

As a first step back into nitro...you don;t want to be messing about...you want to be running it and enjoying the smoke, noise and smell of it.

Looking at your choices in order....

Hyper 7 - Good solid buggy. Dated design...but nothing wrong with it as a basher. Solid...cheap to fix, and reliable enough now they fit decent servos. The .21 engine is easier to tune than the .28, and I reckon it's a better match to the car. It's revvier and there isn't much power difference. The .28 has more torque...but you don;t need it  in a light buggy. Lots of sellers knocking out cheap parts on E-Bay from new cars stripped for parts.

FTX Carnage is for the budget buyer. It's not as tough. It's what you buy if that's all you can afford.

Trophy 3.5 - nothing wrong with these. Similar to the Hyper in a lot of ways, but HPI parts will always be a bit pricier.

Hong Nor - Better car to drive than the Hyper, but not as popular. Yes...you can get the parts, but suppliers are fewer. Can make for a used bargain, but there are few about in the UK. Sold better in the US. When you have one main supplier and not much independent backup, it's always a risk you might have to wait for that part you broke.

Kyosho. Now...I own a Kyosho truck and love it to bits. Trouble is....if I had left it stock....in bits is where it would have spent it's life. Soft diffs, odd design quirks, non existent parts backup in the UK, bendy alloy, weird 19mm hexes that nobody else uses etc. etc. You do find supply sources for parts....but don't run it as an only car. It will frustrate. They do drive well

HPI Bullet .... just don't. Soooo many issues. When you watch HPI vids suggesting you shorten the shock travel with fuel tube to keep the driveshafts from falling out, you know. Shame really, as it looks nice on a shelf. Trouble is...that's the best place for it!

• Like 2

id vote for the hong nor i think there a much better quality car ive had a few hong now x1 crt truggys a couple of x2 crt truggys and my last hong nor was lx2e buggy ,, ive not had any hyper bar the ss truggy ive just sold ,, but i do bash with a few other hyper 7s and they dont look as good as a hong nor and i dont think quality is on par with the hong nor either, but the hypers do have better parts support new and used and are as tough as the hong nors

• Like 1

Can't agree with that that bud

Kyosho are still using Phillips head screws ,the engines arnt great and as for spec it's a very old design and Kyosho even think plastic shocks on a 1/8 buggy is ok :(

plastic shocks make no difference and who cares about phillips head screws, thats just rc snobbery. When it comes to 1/8th buggies Kyosho have been doing longer than anyone else. All Infernos handle aswell, i want the mp9.

Well I seemed to have started a bit of a debate

The Hyper 7 21 is a choice I keep flipping back to for pretty much all of the reasons mentioned in the thread, the Hong Nor being thrown in as an option has now made the choice for me btween the Hyper and the Hong Nor

Well I seemed to have started a bit of a debate

The Hyper 7 21 is a choice I keep flipping back to for pretty much all of the reasons mentioned in the thread, the Hong Nor being thrown in as an option has now made the choice for me btween the Hyper and the Hong Nor

You will do.

Obviously everyone who has one particular car is going to recommend it rather than admit they potentially bought the wrong one :)

• Like 1

You will do.

Obviously everyone who has one particular car is going to recommend it rather than admit they potentially bought the wrong one :)

I need to just get to Friday and order flavour of the minute, as I've now just seen the Team C TR8N

plastic shocks make no difference and who cares about phillips head screws, thats just rc snobbery. When it comes to 1/8th buggies Kyosho have been doing longer than anyone else. All Infernos handle aswell, i want the mp9.

Sorry bud but when I'm spending my money and it's a good chunk of money ,plastic shocks and crappy Phillips screws which round out far too easily make a difference to me .Its nothing to do with snobbery lol

But anyway back on topic

Sorry bud but when I'm spending my money and it's a good chunk of money ,plastic shocks and crappy Phillips screws which round out far too easily make a difference to me .Its nothing to do with snobbery lol

But anyway back on topic

If your heavy handed a hex screw rounds off just as easy, especially the soft hexes in most kits or rtr's and i have never rounded a phillips screw on my trophy yet! But i am not heavy handed tho. lol

I have just got myself the hpi trophy buggy rtr, for the second time, lol, had one sold it then missed it, as said the mentioned buggys will all be on par with each other in this price range and may need some mild upgrades as you go, just as I found out on the hpi trophy, few upgrades and its a decent buggy for general bashing and fun, I nearly bought the hong nor myself, only thing that swayed it for me was just personel choice and looks etc, get what you like the look of most and go from there, you will learn what are the good and bad points about it, and make the improvements as needed, then just go and give it hell and have fun.