• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Buggy kit to race/bash against rustler vxl brushless

Simo

Last year I got a rustler vxl brushless which is good fun for me and my son. I then bought a hyper nitro so we could have one each but due to the noise and maintenance I don't use it very often. I am therefore looking for an electric buggy kit to build myself that will be similar or slightly better in speed etc to the rustler but close enough to be fairly even.

Could anyone recommend any models or give me advice of what to look for as I have no idea. I never fully got into it but if we have two electric cars we could race each other.

What are you running on surface wise? Basically you have two routes to look at - 1/10th or 1/8th. 1/10th will be cheaper and more comparable to the Rustler but also more limited on the terrain.

How much do you want to spend? Kits are rare and mostly quite expensive, but you can fit your own choice of electrics so as long as you pick something faster than the VXL system (which isn't hard - its nothing that special) you are sorted.

I have been looking at various kits as I too wish to build my own 1/8 scale. I have been thinking about the Losi 8ight as well as the Hyper range. As it stands now I will most likely go down the Hyper ST Pro route and convert from nitro to brushless. I am keeping an eye on what comes up for sale here as well. I'd personally go the build your own but as someone else said, kits are not that common and tend to be pricey compared to rtr.

Last year I got a rustler vxl brushless which is good fun for me and my son. I then bought a hyper nitro so we could have one each but due to the noise and maintenance I don't use it very often. I am therefore looking for an electric buggy kit to build myself that will be similar or slightly better in speed etc to the rustler but close enough to be fairly even.

Could anyone recommend any models or give me advice of what to look for as I have no idea. I never fully got into it but if we have two electric cars we could race each other.

y not convert ur hyper...rayy on here is selling a sweet combo in the For sell bit..100quid...u only need a motor mount..battery tray....job done!..and u'll have change from 350 aswell....plenty for sum lipos...
  • Like 1

Cheers all, I hadn't considered converting to electric. Is the esc and motor combo recommended above as good as I will get for the money or are there any other recommendations?

Along with that would there be any other specific equipment I would need Or things to think about.

Cheers all, I hadn't considered converting to electric. Is the esc and motor combo recommended above as good as I will get for the money or are there any other recommendations?

Along with that would there be any other specific equipment I would need Or things to think about.

that combo is sold. ..and yes it's a ass ripper of a combo for sure...i had it in my hyper conversion...now the motors in my hyper st as it was truggy can Edited by evssv

As the second hand set was sold could anyone recommend motor and esc packages that would be good for the hyper?

Hobbywing 150amp esc and xerun 2000kv 4274 sl motor, i have this in my trophy buggy and is great. I run 18/46 gearing and get speeds of around 40mph on 4s and it doesnt even break sweat!