• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New to RC

Stoogz

Hi guys! Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm completely new to RC! Looking for a car to get me started, looking to spend 100/150 pounds for something RTR. Looking for something like the fiesta wr8 kinda shape and size. Not too bothered if it's electric or nitro! Just something to get me started! Would also consider something along the lines of the HPI trophy!

Thanks!!

Welcome.

Does your budget include (if buying electric) a better charger and extra batteries? Rtr kit, whilst good vfm, will only include a basic wall charger and a battery of measly mah resulting in 20 odd minutes of 'yay', followed by 12 hours of 'booooo' waiting on a recharge.

20 mins was just a number in the breeze, as I run brushless, so not up on brushed runtimes, however, an 1800mah stick pack won't last long.

Brushed is 'old tech' as in, brushes in contact with a rotor. Perfectly fine, has many suitable uses, however, is slower than brushless.

A brushless motor is just that. The rotor and magnets spin inside the coil, result, instant speed and power.

Both types of set up accept NiMH packs, most brushed take lipo, all brushless should be run on lipo.

A lipo pack delivers power continually, unlike a NiMH which peaks and then weakens as it discharges. The lipo MUST be treated with care, so I advise reading the lipo guide thread; all the info needed is in there, pointless my repeating it.

Read up, make a choice on power source, car etc then post back for further guidance. Be mindful that the more power you want, the tougher your rc needs to be to cope with it, and forget a Trophy or anything else 1/8th scale, none fall near your budget ;)

• Like 1

Including sufficient lipos and charger? Four hundred upwards...the trophy truggy flux is 350 quid as it stands, before fitting essential upgrades and packs, etc.

The hobao hyper ST PRO kit is worthy of mention. It comes as nitro, however, can be easily converted to a brushless set up and forum member Bez makes battery trays which no longer requires drilling of the chassis to fit. Have a read through the ST owners thread to get an idea as to what combos and cell counts folk use, then you can gauge cost :)

Best get saving whilst you look about....

Edited by Noj

yep got to go lipo, a 10th scale stadium truck like a Firestorm or similar will probably be more than suffice for most surface....you do then need to buy lipos and a charger but as it runs on 2 or 3s packs the batteries are cheaper than 8th scale and you can enjoy decent runtimes on a decent lipo.

My Tamiya running a 4000kv Hobbyking combo gets absolutely ages runtime from my 5000mah 2cell packs.