• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Shock angles? 1/8 scale shocks on 1/10 truck

bertberr

Just wondered if the angle of the shock, rear in this case, is that critical?

Putting some 1/8 scale shocks on my 1/10 MT, and will have to use standoffs to clear shock tower. Even after spacing out the lower shock attachment, the angle is still going to be a little more 'top forward' compared to stock, ie not vertical when looking from the side. Does this matter any, will it affect shock performance?

It will matter - as the force the shock is experiencing from the arm is vertical, or near too, and the further from that the shock is out of line form this the less efficient it'll absorb the force as intended.  This could result in bent shafts - although thestep up in scale might negate that.  Whether it works in the real world for you, there's only one way to tell.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Yes will just have to try it and see... Based on that principle though, I think I'll go slightly longer still on the lower shock mount screw, to allow for another couple mm of spacer. Should help get it a little more towards the vertical. Thanks

Hmmm, that's interesting. Yes will just have to try it and see... Based on that principle though, I think I'll go slightly longer still on the lower shock mount screw, to allow for another couple mm of spacer. Should help get it a little more towards the vertical. Thanks

Np - just basic physics - susp arm moves up/down - shock absorbs said forces so if shock isn't in the same plain then some of that force will go elsewhere - susp arm itself / shock / shock mount will all need to be watched - though if the difference isn't huge you should prob be ok.  Do it, use it, and see.  If there's issues you may notice straight away that it handles differently.