• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

buying losi mini 8ight buggy and truggy

melvins913

Hi everyone, Im new here.
I've been out of the rc scene for about 8 years and used to run nitro. I've been looking at getting my 1st brushless, and as my wife has shown an interest I will be getting her one too.

We have been looking at getting the mini 8ight buggy and truggy as we are looking to go small scale, as i think she would be lethal with a 1/8th scale lol. The only thing is that after reading reviews etc, some people love them but they also get a lot of hate, and have a lot of issues. I don't mind having to buy upgrades as long as I don't have to replace 95% of the car. What are your opinions on this?

I also have no clue when it comes to lipos so I'll have to read up on that.

Thanks guys

I haven't used the truggy personally, but it definitely needs a new motor fitting because apparently the one included isn't up to the job.

I've had 3 buggies though and I personally think they're excellent.

Cheap to buy, cheap LiPos, easy to maintain, very cheap to upgrade and strong too, I beat hell out of all three of mine and never broke very much (spur gears) the only bad thing I find about the Mini 8ight is the spur gear is a little bit exposed, if you run on very stone covered ground, you might want to invest in the Delrin spur gear cover, which if memory serves me is about

• Like 1

I haven't used the truggy personally, but it definitely needs a new motor fitting because apparently the one included isn't up to the job.

I've had 3 buggies though and I personally think they're excellent.

Cheap to buy, cheap LiPos, easy to maintain, very cheap to upgrade and strong too, I beat hell out of all three of mine and never broke very much (spur gears) the only bad thing I find about the Mini 8ight is the spur gear is a little bit exposed, if you run on very stone covered ground, you might want to invest in the Delrin spur gear cover, which if memory serves me is about

Edited by melvins913

Thank you for your extremely helpful post. 

Its great to hear that they can take a bashing. they will mostly be used on tarmac with a little use on dirt so I'll definitely be investing in the spur gear covers. Is there any other specific weak points other than the spur gear that will need addressing?

would it be best to order the lipos from hong kong or can you get them at a reasonable price in the UK?

One of the things that I like about these is the size, as you say it won't cost a fortune, especially buying and running two of them

Thanks again

Put a nut on the back of the shocks at the top, they are prone to popping off, but they only need a nut putting on and that sorts it.

Perhaos cut out the windscreen of the shell and put mesh on the inside, to help with keeping the motor and ESC cool.

Aside from that I just bashed mine, some people insist on getting RPM ball cups, but I ran one successfully without them, they are a bit stronger than stock, so if you start popping them off, just buy the RPM ones for a couple of quid.

LiPos wise I've always used Gens Ace in my Mini 8ight's, which are in the UK from GiantShark, these are the ones I've used with no problems at all; http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/170844/gens-ace-1800-2s1p-25c-lipo-battery

You can do a standing half backflip with those, sorry I did quote before 20C but they're actually 25C.

But for a tenner a go for Gens Ace quality, those are my personal favourites for the Mini 8ight :)

And yeah, also for those kinds of LiPos, a pretty average digital charger will do those LiPos no problem, so you don't have to fork out for a big charger to do 4-6s LiPos for like 8th scale.

• Like 1

Put a nut on the back of the shocks at the top, they are prone to popping off, but they only need a nut putting on and that sorts it.

Perhaos cut out the windscreen of the shell and put mesh on the inside, to help with keeping the motor and ESC cool.

Aside from that I just bashed mine, some people insist on getting RPM ball cups, but I ran one successfully without them, they are a bit stronger than stock, so if you start popping them off, just buy the RPM ones for a couple of quid.

LiPos wise I've always used Gens Ace in my Mini 8ight's, which are in the UK from GiantShark, these are the ones I've used with no problems at all; http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/170844/gens-ace-1800-2s1p-25c-lipo-battery

You can do a standing half backflip with those, sorry I did quote before 20C but they're actually 25C.

But for a tenner a go for Gens Ace quality, those are my personal favourites for the Mini 8ight :)

And yeah, also for those kinds of LiPos, a pretty average digital charger will do those LiPos no problem, so you don't have to fork out for a big charger to do 4-6s LiPos for like 8th scale.

Its decided then, the losi mini 8ight it is! Ill order them next pay day  :thumbsup: 

Thank you for your help  :thumbsup: Its helped me make up my mind up

Have you looked at lc racing emb 1 buggy, I have both mini 8 and emb and have to say the emb for me is a better option that needs less to make it great little car and some time soon I hope lc racing are meant to be releasing their truggy version

Si

Have you looked at lc racing emb 1 buggy, I have both mini 8 and emb and have to say the emb for me is a better option that needs less to make it great little car and some time soon I hope lc racing are meant to be releasing their truggy version

Si

Ive not actually heard of them before. what is part support like for them?

Schumacher for all the parts, cheap enough too, theres a thread on them just down the page, loads of info by myself and others who run them, great cars and doing well in the micro racing scene too

Si

• Like 1

My two pence worth.

I bought the Truggy brand new. I love it. I've bought a fair few bits as replacements (motors, esc)  after reading various posts etc and thus far haven't had to replace anything. It is still stock.

I run it stock on 2s and 3s and never had any problems with the motor, or any over heating. I do not run on grass though, as that does cause issues with stock set up on Lipo.

The only thing i do use are different wheels and tyres, just because I think it looks better with them than the stock ones. Oh and bumpers from Tbone.

:)

• Like 1

Schumacher for all the parts, cheap enough too, theres a thread on them just down the page, loads of info by myself and others who run them, great cars and doing well in the micro racing scene too

Si

Had a read up on them and they seem to be quite popular. showed the missus but she preferred the losi because "the shell is cute"  :36_11_13[1]:

My two pence worth.

I bought the Truggy brand new. I love it. I've bought a fair few bits as replacements (motors, esc)  after reading various posts etc and thus far haven't had to replace anything. It is still stock.

I run it stock on 2s and 3s and never had any problems with the motor, or any over heating. I do not run on grass though, as that does cause issues with stock set up on Lipo.

The only thing i do use are different wheels and tyres, just because I think it looks better with them than the stock ones. Oh and bumpers from Tbone.

thank you for your reply. Im glad that a lot of people have positive experiences with them. It has helped me to make up my mind.

The wife text me this morning saying she was looking through modelsport and likes the look of the savage x 4.6, i wish she would make her bloody mind up  :boredlook: i still think small scale is the way to go and Im really liking the losi so far.

My two pence worth.

That's very interesting to know.

What's your highest recorded temp for the motor buddy?

I know a lot of folk still had issues even on tarmac and concrete, like skate parks.

Never heard anyone say theirs is fine lol.

I can't remember the last recorded temps to be honest but I should be out this weekend so will try and remember to take some readings (memory like a sieve so no guarantees I will remember!)

I run it mainly on tarmac, gravel and a bit of short grass and have never had any issues. It does cog a little but Im not really bothered about that. I don't absolutely cane it, im very careful when I drive. That said, I dont drive it slowly either.

Maybe I just got a good one! lol.... I'd definitely get another one. It's great.

I can't remember the last recorded temps to be honest but I should be out this weekend so will try and remember to take some readings (memory like a sieve so no guarantees I will remember!)

I run it mainly on tarmac, gravel and a bit of short grass and have never had any issues. It does cog a little but Im not really bothered about that. I don't absolutely cane it, im very careful when I drive. That said, I dont drive it slowly either.

Maybe I just got a good one! lol.... I'd definitely get another one. It's great.

I've often fancied one to be honest, which is my reason for asking for temps.

I drive them a bit harder, but you're actually the first person I remember saying that it runs fine so it would be interesting to see how well the motor is coping, temps wise :)

Cogging doesn't really bother me at all, if I want to drive round at snail pace, I'll take the Wraith out lol.

When i want to drive slow i take my Hotshot out! Ha! Looking at a brushless set up for it on Hobbyking as I type actually.

I will try and remember the temps this weekend. It's mental on a 3s... I actually have a leopard can and a velineon to try in it, which I will do at some point when I have the time.

Had the mini 8t and to be fair the stock motor is a total pile of crap how you can run 3s on it without it thermalling i don't know you must be the only owner i have read that can !!.. 

Once you sort them out there OK but there are a couple of points you cant do much about , Soft diff gears for one and at

UPDATE

I took the missus to my lhs so she could have a look around at some different models and have a talk to the guys. I didn't plan on spending any money until after pay day but she forced me to hand over my credit card  :36_11_6[1]:  we ended up getting something totally different to what we planned but I'm happy with the purchase. Im still planning on getting a mini eight, so hoping to get that soon. we will be spending the next few evenings building up the kit which will either be stressful or smooth sailing lol. This was the last one they had in stock and she just had to have. Unfortunately its not a mini...anyone care to have a guess?