• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hot Bodies Lightning gt

pug=309

Hi all, figured id make a thread or this.  Bought this as a very cheap roller (well i think so), added the f4.6 and 2.4ghz tx from my sons virus st (he's got  new one)

SAM_1040.jpg

As you can see, she's been out getting dirty, having loads of fun with it, though its not without its issue's.  The truggy is very unstable or some reason (maybe due to not having any anti roll bars), the truck nearly topples with any more than 1/4 throttle with 1/2 turn, any advice would be great, would also appreciate advice on shock oil as the back seems alot softer than the front.

SAM_1041.jpg
SAM_1042.jpg
SAM_1044.jpg

Could anyone tell me if these front arms look bent or is this just the way they look?
SAM_1045.jpg
SAM_1046.jpg
SAM_1047.jpg

Thanks

Allan

Th arms look a very slightly bowed ..... try find some pics of similar cars on google images to find something to compare it too :) even so that shouldn't be causing you the any major issues with how the car is handling, that's mostly down to the setup :)

From the pics the wheel camber looks rather off, try 2-3 degrees of camber on all 4 wheels (have them so the tops are slightly leaning into the chassis) this will make the truck more stable while turning.

It might also be worth checking to see if one of the shocks has lost some oil which would unbalance the drive a while cornering.

• Like 1

Hi all, figured id make a thread or this.  Bought this as a very cheap roller (well i think so), added the f4.6 and 2.4ghz tx from my sons virus st (he's got  new one)

SAM_1040.jpg

As you can see, she's been out getting dirty, having loads of fun with it, though its not without its issue's.  The truggy is very unstable or some reason (maybe due to not having any anti roll bars), the truck nearly topples with any more than 1/4 throttle with 1/2 turn, any advice would be great, would also appreciate advice on shock oil as the back seems alot softer than the front.

SAM_1041.jpg

SAM_1042.jpg

SAM_1044.jpg

Could anyone tell me if these front arms look bent or is this just the way they look?

SAM_1045.jpg

SAM_1046.jpg

SAM_1047.jpg

Thanks

Allan

or send it to bez for a service/ clean

Th arms look a very slightly bowed ..... try find some pics of similar cars on google images to find something to compare it too :) even so that shouldn't be causing you the any major issues with how the car is handling, that's mostly down to the setup :)

From the pics the wheel camber looks rather off, try 2-3 degrees of camber on all 4 wheels (have them so the tops are slightly leaning into the chassis) this will make the truck more stable while turning.

It might also be worth checking to see if one of the shocks has lost some oil which would unbalance the drive a while cornering.

Thanks or the reply, yeah the wheels (mainly rots) re cambered the other way looking t them ow. Ill knock the shocks off and take look, any advice on what grade to put i should i need too (id empty clean and refill), i have some TLR 40 and 45 shock oil here or is that too heavy or this?

Will the arms need replacing or are they ok for now?

I have not really had the chance to fully look this over, its just been used, its been tons easier than my sons Virus st that we have been looking past these issues, but i really want to give it a good running and let my kids open it right up without fear of me going nuts when it flips (as i march down the grass to get it), so adjust camber, check shocks and find a replacement top screw for the front hub (unsure if it was missing when i bought it or not).

Thanks

or send it to bez for a service/ clean

I think the postage there and back would cost more than the truggy cost to buy :gap:  (

Edited by pug=309

40wt should be ok for the shocks but 30-35w would be better. Leave the arms they wont cause you any problems once you have sorted out the camber. Its only a basher after all.

When you have the shocks off make sure none of the corners are binding when they pivot up and down......... But yeah go over the chassis id say it would be wise to slap a fresh set of wheel bearings in while your going over it. 

Thanks, i've put in some camber, filled the rear shocks with TLR 40 oil and robbed a hyper 7 of a screw and washer thing for the steering.  I couldn't see where to adjust the rear toe as it looks like quite  lot of toe (not sure of the impact of this but as long as she's stable im not really bothered

All bearings are super smooth sounding in both wheels and diffs but i will be making an order from here for a set for this and our Virus

Thanks for your help and advice

Allan

Little update, took it out, warmed her up, all was going well till i noticed that only the front wheels were spinning, then on full power, the truck didn't move, thought it was the clutch, but the bell was turning the enter diff aswell as the centre to front/rear shafts, took the rear diff apart to find practically no oil, the oil was smelly and silver in colour with metal pieces in it.

So im assuming the cars chewed the front one too, now the question, do i find replacements, upgraded internals or will bulletproof Savage diffs fit?  Gonna put the ones from our Virus st into it just now (since im waiting for parts for it)

Allan

HPI Bullet looks like it could be match to your car,  One of the problems with the bullet has always been weak diffs but more the crown and pinion over the internals ....... it might just be bad luck and the gears were worn anyway.

I presume you have checked that the diff output cup on the rear diff/center shaft is secure? More often than not a slipping diff cup is the reason for loss of drive to one end of the car.

Erm Lightning GT is 1:10 aint it.?

Certainly looks like an LS / trophy though. at least from what can actually be seen :lol:

please confirm model.

1:8th actually, I have the gtx - 2 this looks totally different to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by toddfg

I presume you have checked that the diff output cup on the rear diff/center shaft is secure? More often than not a silpping diff cup is the reason for loss of drive to one end of the car.

Hi yeah, i checked that and was tight to the cup

Your truck is actually an HPI Trophy truggy obviously with different wheels so spares are plentiful ;)

Hi yeah thanks, i thought they looked sort of similar (bar wheels and hot bodies having 2 steering servos)

Erm Lightning GT is 1:10 aint it.?

Certainly looks like an LS / trophy though.  at least from what can actually be seen :lol:

please confirm model.

Hi, the 1/10 version is called the lightning gt10,  this is the lightning gt, the single engine'd version of the lightning gtx2 twin engined monster, and i think pre-dates (was basis for) the trophy truggy (or so my research has taught me)

Ill take a couple snaps of it once its back together

Thanks

Allan

Just finished changed both diffs over (though kept the hot bodies outer gear (spur?) on front and rear, rear internals were past worn, front internals were in bits, broke planet gears etc, photobucket is offline so pictures will have to wait.

Are spares still available?

You want a spur?  if I remember correctly I have a new sealed original one in a drawer for some weird reason. :shockingscary:

Spares are hit and miss though trophy truggy parts are compatible so that helps.

Is that front/rear or centre and how much would you want for it?

Anyone know what's best wt oil to put in front and rear diff's as the manual is no good?

Thanks

Allan

If it didn't fit the trophy then it probably won't fit this as the diffs are all interchangeable between the trophy buggy/truggy and this.

as for handling, i would like a bit more rear power, though you have to remember that this has a locked centre diff (though it's easy to convert to  traditional centre diff, whether that's a good idea or not)

Thanks

Allan

Are you certain on that?.  Because that's what I thought and that's why I bought the spur (for my trophy).  It clearly says Lightning GT on the HB packet.

DSC02116_zpsomx1qemi.jpg

NB://mounting holes ;)

Not trying to push a sale, but rather point out that not everything is interchangeable.  I would also er on the side of caution (for future reference) with HPI arms as the trophy truggy and lightning stadium ones are 2mm out and can cause bent driveshafts :(

Edited by Deafty

Ah right, yes that will be hb only due to the hb gt having a fixed/locked diff.

What you looking for it?  Spares are always good

Thank you for the warning regarding hb/hpi parts incompatibilities, ill try to keep my wits about me

Here is the pics of the diff and a few of the beastie

SAM_1049.jpg
SAM_1050.jpg
SAM_1051.jpg
SAM_1052.jpg
SAM_1053.jpg
SAM_1054.jpg

The body is from a savage i think, the engine is my sons old one and the exhaust is a ofna 063 (not sure if its good or not, it came with the truck)

Thanks

Allan

Just got a great deal on a lightning stadium, the engine was stated as an issue. Super glue holding the fuel inlet thing (and in the fuel pipe hole), no gasket on the head and not great compression, but can't complain at

• 2 months later...

Well here is my Lightning gt, its gone threw quite a little transformation since i got it as a roller back in mid January, recently i've added an upgraded chassis, Edit front and rear shock towers (managed to find a couple so i now have a spare), carbon rear brace with alu blocks to replace those plastic stock ones, trophy front alu brace (i also kept the stock gt front brace on too), 17mm hex conversion, the Integy Savage front skid plate and front bumper (just need to work on the bumper braces), Integy/gpm savage skid plate on rear (not sure the make, integt and gpm seem to be the only ones i've found in that style, plus its been beating up on the front of this so put on the back). Just need a spoiler and possible a new shell to complete the look.

The Ansmann wheels pictured here were just temporary until my dirt bonz and rpm revolver wheels come, but cracked a spoke so i have put on the grp wheels (with i don't know what tyres) that i just won from the bay (they're meant for an electric roller im building)

SAM_0291.jpg
SAM_0292.jpg
SAM_0293.jpg
SAM_0294.jpg
SAM_0295.jpg
SAM_0313.jpg

As you can see, i have a little exhaust issue, i cannot find a manifold to suit this engine as its smaller than all the ones i've tried, i have spotted a stubby looking exhaust from Traxxas called a "resonator" and they have been fitted to picco 26's on revo's (and others i think), my only problem is trying to find dimensions of them so i can see if one will fit under the shell as above, might just bite the proverbial bullet and buy one

Thanks for looking

Allan

• 2 months later...

Well its been a little while since i updated this thread, so here is a couple pics of the gt with her new yet dirty boots on

11693212_10205492626968286_1860566979_n.
11720744_10205492627768306_997485130_n.j
11668076_10205492627568301_88426784_n.jp

I have a mass of parts coming, mostly rebuild bits so she's being taking off active duty for a clean, rebuild of the shocks on the truck aswell as rebuilding another set to go on (aye 8 shocks), a new hump pack, exhaust pipe and possibly new driveshafts (a few are a less than straight), i am also thinking on changing the diff oils, they currently are 1000 front and back (lsp stock oil apparently), not sure what to go for, guess we'll see

Allan