• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Return to Racing - Dove in too deep!

obious

Hi All,

So to give a bit of context, I've had (much as many of you on here have I assume) a love affair with RC cars, specifically 1/10th on road, since I was a young boy (I had a TA04-R that brought me an endless amount of fun) but its only in the last 3-4 weeks that I've both had the funds and the time to get back into racing. 

With that being said, I bought an Xray T4 2014, albeit second hand, last week with the intention of studying the electrics a bit more before I took the plunge and bought the required equipment. After surfing the various forums and websites for about a week, I loaded up my basket and placed an order for the following items:

Team Orion VST2 13.5 2P Brushless motor

Hobbywing XERUN v3.1

Servox SC-1256 servo

Spectrum DX4C DSMR transmitter with included receiver.

Team Orion 2s 7.4 Carbon Pro 7200mAH 100c LIPO

CORE RC UAC50

After fitting everything to my car in excitement and both configuring everything to what I assume to be 'factory' mode and tacking it down to my local track (Crystal Palace Car Club), I've noticed a few things that are potential problems and this is where I need help+advice! :(

Why, after binding, is there a lot of interference between my transmitter and receiver, so much so that the steering veers off sharply sometimes and constant 'twitching' noises can be head as a result of the servo makes adjustments to the natural position? I thought 2.4Ghz systems were supposed to be more reliable than 27Mhz systems of yesteryear?

What pinion 'gauge'  should I be using with the motor I bought, I bought a selection of pinions but none fit, they are either to small or too large to fit. I'm currently using a crappy Tamiya OEM pinion that is like butter.

How do I know when the battery is fully charged after charging? I charged it once until the voltage dropped as advised in the manual, is this a good indication?

Does the ESC need to be programmed in order to reach full effectiveness (what is turbo mode?)?

As you might imagine all of this is causing a lot of distress and I'm in dire need of some expert advice! 

Thanks in advance!

Orrin

Sounds like you need to remout your reciever away from the motor and esc

charging - you should always leave your battery on charge until it beeps this is when its finished its cycle

as for pinions look in the manual should tell you pitch and size theyre

I've never had that issue with my spektrum receiver and in my dex410 the receiver is between the motor and ESC. Sound like your servo is playing up. Do you have another one that you can try?

I used to frequent crystal palace years ago and used to get interference on one part of the track but that was with 27mhz gear. Maybe try testing your car in a car park and see if you still get the same interference?

I also use the crystal palace track (but have not been for about a year) and always had interference on one part of the track . far left corner as you stand on the rostrum that was with a dx3s .. as for the motor. 3.25mm shaft and 48dp pitch ? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__52561__XRAY_T4_2014_1_10_Touring_Car_Narrow_Hard_Coated_Aluminum_Pinion_Gear_24T_48P.html ... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1254__405__Cars_Parts-X_ray_T4_39_1_10_Touring_Car_Parts.html

Edited by jea

I also use the crystal palace track (but have not been for about a year) and always had interference on one part of the track . far left corner as you stand on the rostrum that was with a dx3s .. as for the motor. 3.25mm shaft and 48dp pitch ? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__52561__XRAY_T4_2014_1_10_Touring_Car_Narrow_Hard_Coated_Aluminum_Pinion_Gear_24T_48P.html ... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1254__405__Cars_Parts-X_ray_T4_39_1_10_Touring_Car_Parts.html

That is the same place I used to get it, just before the bend at the end of the straight (if the track still has the same layout that is). It was annoying and noticeably worse with low batteries in the tx. I'm amazed it's still an issue.

The guys with the expensive radios seemed to be ok driving around the track though...

Edited by optimus