• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti owners thread

philbr

I thought I would start a thread for general dissection of this model.

Zombi's build thread is fantastic and I will continue to follow it but it would be nice to hear some ideas that might take the model in other directions or how to get the most out of more stock setup's

I have a kit version on pre order so I am accumulating a few items in anticipation. so far I bought a FlySky gt3c Tx, GPM metal motor mount and GPM rear lock outs, a Axial Vanguard motor and esc of the type used in the RTR (I bought Zombi's original power train after he upgraded)

The only essential I am missing is paint. This is my first rc car so a simple colour scheme for me maybe a fluorescent orange.

Is there anything else I should consider upgrading on the initial build. I was thinking about a set of sealed bearings or maybe the stock set are sufficient?

Ah so that was you who bought my electronics on eBay hey, good stuff.  It'll be interesting to see where you take this "stock" approach Yeti (although you've already begun the upgrades :thumbsup: )

Feel free to drop by on my thread and ask any questions too, happy to help if I can.

I'll be watching!

PS - Get alum hub adaptors; VP or GPM. You'll regret it if you don't.

Mine has been "hopped up" high than a jack rabbit on a pogo stick.

its reached that stage where it becoming too powerful to really use, but it does make a great show piece.

Mine has been "hopped up" high than a jack rabbit on a pogo stick.

its reached that stage where it becoming too powerful to really use, but it does make a great show piece.

can we see what you have done with it?

Please any pics of upgrades and advice you have will be appreciated, im looking to get one in the not to distant future and have been doing my homework on upgrades before i buy, determined to own a yeti before the spring so i can run it whilst in Wales in the summer.

I did a whole thread on such things, please tell me you at least took a cursory glance at it before asking for advice :/

Yep been and had a good read thanks but any more knowledge is always a good thing before spending hard cash on the wrong part or upgrade!

One thing I found that looked decent was this from "Asian Teens"

A good option if you're on a budget and couldn't afford to pay out for a MIP.

http://www.asiatees.com/display?Axial-Yeti-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Axial&model=Yeti&id=103042&pid=1

Thanks for that i did read that the hubs were a weak point! In terms of budget i havnt set one as yet want to glean as much info as poss. Edited by shaunm

The stock wild boar shaft just warps after a bit of serious use. Another weak point is the trailing arms; I could see mine starting to buckle quite visibly.

Watched a you tube vid last night with the very same problem, if i remember he recomended blue monkey? Parts for replacements

Anything's better than the stock rear shaft, but my prefer is MIP and is what I have installed.

EDIT: Ah, you mean for the rear arms. Yeah I'm sure they're good, but I went with VP.

Edited by Zombi

Anything's better than the stock rear shaft, but my prefer is MIP and is what I have installed.

spent last night rereading yours and other reviews, the main issue is having read so many different opinions i ended up chasing my tail so to speak, there are so many unboxing types of write ups what i needed was an opinion based on ownership which yours gives, many thanks for the clarity and advice, as i said im not in a rush but i do have a time scale my thaughts now are get an rtr and swap out the rear arms, if i understand it axial have addressed the rear hub weak points so i should be ok to start with. I do already have a crawler all be it a scout so my intention for the yeti is a rock racer to use in the sand dunes and rocky beach areas i visit when away.

Edited by shaunm

Aye the Yeti is actually an excellent all-rounder. Once you get to a certain point with upgrades it can do just about anything it seems.  I can even do better than the Wraith boys i trail with on certain technical sections :)

I'll be following this thread too as a Yeti kit version is one of the rc's on my wish list just now.

Do you reckon the Yeti would cope with a bit of skatepark action? If it's up to the job my plan would be to build it to handle some light skatepark use, some dirt jumps and some trailing.

I'm not aware you can buy the heads on their own. You can buy them along with other parts on the tree though, but that'll incur more cost.

And yeah it's brilliant for general bashing and jumps. I've seen yanks using them at skate parks too, so you're all good.