• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Clone vs Genuine - throwing petrol on the fire of debate!

Carpmart

http://rc-car-online.de/homepage/public/imgs/hersteller_logos/zusatzseiten/losi_rovan/losi_rovan_en.html

Anyone got any comments?   :whistling:

A few months ago a Losi 5ive-T clone and clone parts have hit the market. Since there is evidence of a number of problems regarding reliability and tolerances of these parts, we acquired some parts and tried to portray some distinguishing features for you.

The genuine Losi 5ive-T plastic parts are sometimes less shiny than the copy, as can be seen clearly in the picture of the rear a-arms.
The hinge pin holes in the a-arms are noticeably larger than those in the genuine part. Therefore the suspension using these a-arms inevitably has more play.

One particular mistake happened when copying the rear a-arms. Here, the labels "R" and "L" have been mixed! Since we had no front a-arms for comparison, we don

Edited by Carpmart

We all know that clone parts are inferior, there is no other way to describe it.

Original manufacturers make them cheap in order to allow them to sell them at a profitable price, cloners make them cheaper allowing them to sell them cheaper. Cheaper materials = inferior.

It's not a debate as far as i am concerned, anybody who puts clones on par with originals  must be deluded.

Has no one ever seen The Sixth Day? :lol:

A guy I bash with brought his newly acquired KM Baja round for me to ooh and aah at with him, as we all do with new RC's right!   :yes: 

With his budget, I had recommended he went this way, so I was keen to see that I hadn't led him astray.  I have to say, I'm pretty impressed really.  The plastic arms looked a little shinny/cheap/fragile, but other than that, it seems a proper bargain at less that

I love my km. ive put it through alot. Slammed it ito a steel fence on full throttle. Bent chassis and bent upper plate I replaced these with km parts again and the upper plate is km hd. I then hit a tree at some speed. Bent chassis. Also my reAr boot got ripped off due to wire wrapping round it. Ive had alot of tumples. As i just go full on into whatever jump i see. And jet thats the only damage i have done. Fantastic piece of kit. My only worry is the bolts. They strip easy

These threads always end up the same. 

If you have a big enough budget, buy HPI.

KM baja are well worth the money.
Rovan are below KM.

And of course nobody has had any sort of in-depth review of the X2 so nobody knows if they are worth the money yet.

Edited by munch
  • Like 1

With the KM, it appears that some key dimensions appear slightly different - hole, thus shaft diameters for example.

Is it still the case that as/when parts wear/ break that they can be systematically replaced by the original Losi parts or their replacement hop-up parts?

Al.

With the KM, it appears that some key dimensions appear slightly different - hole, thus shaft diameters for example.

Is it still the case that as/when parts wear/ break that they can be systematically replaced by the original Losi parts or their replacement hop-up parts?

Al.

The two that were compared are losi vs rovan we are yet to know what parts can be replaced for losi or vs versa

These threads always end up the same. 

If you have a big enough budget, buy HPI.

KM baja are well worth the money.

Rovan are below KM.

And of course nobody has had any sort of in-depth review of the X2 so nobody knows if they are worth the money yet.

I pretty much agree with this and not just in RC. Spurios parts in all walks of life are generally cheaper for a reason but hey if they are half the cost then it might be a chance worth taking....

HPI Baja approx

The two that were compared are losi vs rovan we are yet to know what parts can be replaced for losi or vs versa

From what i've been reading so far, people are swapping out warped diff cases and gearboxs for Losi items without issues, amongst many other parts. I fully expect the KM to be the same with regards to parts compatibility.

cannot call them parts cloned as they are not even the same size.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can afford a genuine Losi....buy the genuine item. You are supporting the company that invented the thing.

wasn't it losi who released a car from another company but has the losi TAG. 

Edited by turok007

i have just orderd 2 losi 5ives after being out of the rc scene for a while for me and my son just for mainly bashing but with thoughts of going to our local club to see if the race side fits us and we looked at the rovan copy 5ive but put it this way who baught a kia or a hyundia when they came on the market not so long ago but they are now a viable company with very robust vehicles so the only real test is time so in a couple of years time the genuine brand buyers will either be glad of their choice or the clone buyers will be sat with a smug grin nowing they have spent 1/2 the money but got a good product i think ive made the correct choice for me right now but who knows for sure after buying ford and vw all my life i now own a vehicle with a 7 year warrenty voted best in its class 3 years running and yes its a kia

• Like 1

i have just orderd 2 losi 5ives after being out of the rc scene for a while for me and my son just for mainly bashing but with thoughts of going to our local club to see if the race side fits us and we looked at the rovan copy 5ive but put it this way who baught a kia or a hyundia when they came on the market not so long ago but they are now a viable company with very robust vehicles so the only real test is time so in a couple of years time the genuine brand buyers will either be glad of their choice or the clone buyers will be sat with a smug grin nowing they have spent 1/2 the money but got a good product i think ive made the correct choice for me right now but who knows for sure after buying ford and vw all my life i now own a vehicle with a 7 year warrenty voted best in its class 3 years running and yes its a kia

you make a good point, that is where the km bajas are right now but the x2 is still a unknown quantity and if you are considering racing the losi will not let you down, for flat field bashing though the 5ive is a bit too good at its job thats where the 2wd madness of the baja comes into its own.

its simple you get what you pay for  :yes:

When it comes to Rc Cars, Everyone should know by now that this quote is pure bunkum, And if you buy a kit based on it, Your gonna be disappointed more times than not.  

Still not convinced with these clones, yes there is a big price difference with some like the km Baja vs the hpi Baja, but when I look at the two, it would have to be the genuine item, it just looks so much better finished, also why is it that everyone who buys these clones seem to end up fitting a load of genuine hpi or losi parts to make them better ?, yes you may still save yourself some money in the long run but by the time you have done I bet the difference is small, and then what you end up with is mix mash of different manufacturer parts on the buggy or truck, suppose you could call em a hybrid by that stage, I will admit though I have been tempted by the km a few times, but think I will wait a little longer, get that money together and buy the genuine article,