• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First go at Slope Soaring

Basically when the wind is in the right direction it blows up the hill and generates the lift needed. You can stay up indefinitely just cruising around. That is until your hands go numb and you have to bring it down.(Chucked it up and realised i forgot to put my gloves on)!

^ Thanks for sharing my vid Mark :D

Slope soaring is pretty wicked, its amazing how long you can stay in the air just from the updraft off a hill. On my first attempt at it, yesterday, I only brought the plane down after 30 mins because my fingers were going numb! :)

You get a crazy effect when you circle back round the hill your on too, where you go speeding towards the hill, then when you arc back towards the slope, its like you hit a wall in the air and all your speed just drops, and you just slowly float back out. Really different experience to powered flight  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I was hoping to get some shots of mine flying around from yours. You got anymore footage from both flying together Rich?

The little warbird had a good day on sat. Good flying weekend :) 

IMAG6134_zps491fd002.jpg

Close call @ 0.30s......

Edited by RCMonkee

I was hoping to get some shots of mine flying around from yours. You got anymore footage from both flying together Rich?

The little warbird had a good day on sat. Good flying weekend :) 

For some reason when we was on the slope the camera only recorded 3 mins of the first flight, so it missed the whole time we was in the air following each other :( That would have made for some fantastic shots.

The video from the day before is too low detail/resolution to really see much, i'll have another look through it  :thumbsup: Was a 'literally epic' weekend for flying :) So much freedom when your in the air!

Will Not be long before you guys are looking at Zagi wings and combat slope soaring lol

close call you say, thats a omg near miss call the aircrash investigators

lovely views from aloft and it looks freezing up on the moor

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Will Not be long before you guys are looking at Zagi wings and combat slope soaring lol

close call you say, thats a omg near miss call the aircrash investigators

lovely views from aloft and it looks freezing up on the moor

Funny you should say that. Been looking at the combat wings lol and yes it was bitter cold, especially in the wind. Good fun tho. I just sorted out some FPV gear so might get that on the Glider next time. Need to do some range checks first with a monitor before committing to the goggles!