• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya 4x4 Bruiser.

ibo

Frame all done,note hexs, far better than the stock crap all thread locked as well,gearshift arm fitted.

Iam very happy with this kit it feels and looks a good strong one,not looking forward to the transmission build, :whistling:

007_zps88f5b5e4.jpg

Edited by ibo
  • Like 2

Agreed, nice touch with the hex bolts. Were they from rc4wd? I think I saw they did a kit for the bruiser.

I've left mine stock for now, I don't think the Tamiya screws are more than a one time install only. However seeing as its all threadlocked I'm not anticipating on needing to undo them anytime. I haven't decided if mines a shelf queen or not yet, the Tamiya ones do go rusty with water so I'll upgrade if I do end up using it properly, nice to do it like you have from the outset but I've spent enough for now kitting up with an airbrush just for this project!!

There are a few things I'd like to add to mine when funds permit.

I'll be starting my axles tonight. Enjoy!

Cheers

Nito

Mine done :yes: they were a bit fiddly more so if you have big hands like me,the screw kit is for the ax10,the leaf springs i have greased they are the same as the G-Sawback,should have took pics as I built them,You will have to do it with yours,I should invest in a airbrush like you,I have always used spraycans but I want to this spot on,so will be watching your shell very closely :thumbsup:

Forgot to mention,before you put the knuckles on,there are raised bits at the end of the axle housing that need to be filed down,I put a dab of grease on mine before installing the knuckles as well.

009_zps1f793e09.jpg

Edited by ibo

Thanks for the tips ibo. I'm doing a pretty pic heavy build thread so I'll no doubt get some. You're romping ahead of me!

Yes I too used to use the rattle cans, mainly polycarbonate shells for which the Tamiya stuff was great, then I did my sons Mad Bull ABS shell and my A-team lunchbox using Halfords primer, car spray and rattle can lacquer. It was ok but not what I'd be happy with on this kit, I'm trying to improve all the time. I figured for this time that this particular project warranted stepping the quality of prep up a notch so it was the perfect opportunity to gear up with an Iwata airbrush and compressor set up. I'm planning to use Createx Auto air water based sparklescent paint over a Churchills adhesion promoter. Then a Churchills solvent based 1k lacquer over the whole lot. I looked into 2k lacquer but it's nasty stuff for home use with some real horror stories on the net! I'd like to lacquer over the decals also really but I got a couple of Mad Bull shells and a lunchbox one for xmas to practice on first before I start on the Bruiser one so it'll probably be in January sometime before I make a proper start on the Bruiser shell. 

RJJ, you can just get yourself a spare shell later on and Bruiser it up for shelf queen duties or vice versa and bash it lol!! I was thinking of a spare Mountain Rider shell lol!

I came across a couple of websites for Bruiser bits, one of them German I think, which had a nice full length cargo hard top which I quite fancy but it was about 90 euros! Also fancy the RC4WD billet beadlock wheels with original offset and some of the cab detailing on RC4WD for the Bruiser but I'm getting ahead of myself and my skills now lol! 

:)

I have just finished building my bruiser, well the chassis anyway, got to spray it yet and detail it :) im going box art as mine will sit mostly on a shelf and get the occational run, seems now they have dropped in price to a more reasonable figure people are snapping them up :) congrats on the purchase though and enjoy ;)

Axles and leafsprings fitted,have used one extra leaf on the springs,using the full set is way to hard I found this out when building the Sawbacks,greased them as well,used zippos to hold them down,build the shocks next.

001_zps1029e3bd.jpg001_zps1029e3bd.jpg

Edited by ibo

Lol AJ,

We're at about the same point now ibo. Haha, I see you also used the wrong nut on the inner front shackles. I wondered why I was a couple of flanged nuts short at the end. Under the front guard they should be slimline nuts, I guess you clocked that before adding the bash guard. Glad I'm not alone!

Those stainless fiximg look great, do you have a link to the ones you used and was it a complete kit (does the scx10 use the same amount as the bruiser)??

I have a slight tightness on one of my steering knuckles at the extremity of movement, I wonder if that is the raised edge you referred to earlier?

What did you use in lieu of the stupid rubber cement that conveniently doesn't come with the kit?!

Gearbox next eh!

Cheers

Nito

Lol AJ,

We're at about the same point now ibo. Haha, I see you also used the wrong nut on the inner front shackles. I wondered why I was a couple of flanged nuts short at the end. Under the front guard they should be slimline nuts, I guess you clocked that before adding the bash guard. Glad I'm not alone!

Those stainless fiximg look great, do you have a link to the ones you used and was it a complete kit (does the scx10 use the same amount as the bruiser)??

I have a slight tightness on one of my steering knuckles at the extremity of movement, I wonder if that is the raised edge you referred to earlier?

What did you use in lieu of the stupid rubber cement that conveniently doesn't come with the kit?!

Gearbox next eh!

Cheers

Nito

Yes it is the raised bit on the axle,ya need to file it down :whistling: I used bostik for the missing glue,the AX10 I got from Modelsport,I bought these to top up my screw box it just so happened that they fitted lol,ya I sussed out the underguard,:good look with the gearbox,

Edited by ibo

Insomniac!! ;)

Gearbox looking good, how long did that take? That's the bit you weren't looking forward to, how was it in the end?

Is this the screw set you referred to ;

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-axial-ax10-stainless-steel-screw-set/rc-car-products/385797

I only remember one raised edge around the seam of the axle, it didn't seem to contact with the knuckle at the time from what I could see but I'll make it the first port of call.

Cheers

Nito

Edited by NITO

Insomniac!! ;)

Gearbox looking good, how long did that take? That's the bit you weren't looking forward to, how was it in the end?

Is this the screw set you referred to ;

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-axial-ax10-stainless-steel-screw-set/rc-car-products/385797

I only remember one raised edge around the seam of the axle, it didn't seem to contact with the knuckle at the time from what I could see but I'll make it the first port of call.

Cheers

Nito

Yes thats the screw kit,about 2 hrs so far,trying to be quiet didnt want to wake the Mrs up lol,Iam enjoying the gearbox build now Iam half way,defo you will..

I must admit, i found the gearbox to be a nice build, its silky smooth as well, im impressed with it tbh :) i slapped lots n lots of grease in there, make sure the plastic c-clip things that fit into the shifter plates are free and smooth, i had to file mine down slightly for them to be smooth, my dx4s works a treat with it, clicks into each gear lovely and smooth each time, and really only a 3 channel set up is needed for the full gear change function to work, you just need a 3 position aux switch :)

Gearbox/transmission all done and I must say I have realy enjoyed the build of it.

011_zps59a3cfd9.jpg009_zps7dd6a652.jpg008_zpsf05d0f7e.jpg

007_zps1ea67f5a.jpg

Edited by ibo

Did mine today also, it's great isn't it? Almost a shame to be coming towards the end of the build. I see you've stopped at the same place as me. I'm leaving the motor for tomorrow hopefully. The body will be another challenge entirely!!

Glad you enjoyed the gearbox build, it's such a satisfying part. Superb engineering. How do the Axial's compare?

Cheers

Nito