• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Hilux Bruiser build thread

NITO

Hello again chaps,

I'm hoping to start on the Bruiser build tomorrow. I've set out the work area this afternoon before having to shoot out for family stuff. It's probably a bit too big for the missus' make up table so I'm out in the conservatory for this one!

So here's the box art;

med_gallery_28308_3720_168247.jpg

Box contents;

med_gallery_28308_3720_370858.jpg

Here's the chassis and axles;

med_gallery_28308_3720_85802.jpg

And all set out ready for start tomorrow

med_gallery_28308_3720_562144.jpg

The kit comes with these tools;

med_gallery_28308_3720_172541.jpg

Here's parts bag A. Comes with threadlock paste and grease etc.

med_gallery_28308_3720_342217.jpg

Thankfully, unlike other Tamiya kits where you are constantly reaching for other part bags each containing the necesary parts for particular steps, it appears that the bruiser kit is in proper part bag steps, so steps 1-9 appear to pertain purely to parts bag A which should keep things somewhat tidier.

med_gallery_28308_3720_464677.jpg

At least that's how it looks for the time being, more to follow tomorrow I hope.

Cheers

Nito

• Like 3

Hello again, 

About another 2 hours or so spent on it, which has got me to step 9, or the end of bag A!!

Wow wow wow and wow. For me this has been the best part of the build so far. I really really enjoyed this step, which was building up the front and rear axles. The quality of the components and the way it goes together is quite simply awesome. This is much more like it, not that the first part wasn't good, but the quality of the Tamiya screws lets the ladder chassis part of the build down a  little bit. It's probably a good idea to get an uprated stainless hex bolt kit before commencing the first 4 steps!

Pleasingly the same can definately not be said of steps 5-9. I have never seen such high quality bearings, they are super smooth, highly polished and simply ooze quality.

So, step 5, it's dark and I'm building this in the conservatory using a torch to illuminate the work area! These are the pinions and shafts which exit both the front and rear differentials. You can't really see the quality of the bearings or the gears from the photo, but trust me they are fantastic.

med_gallery_28308_3720_172191.jpg

I love all the little details of engineering in these axles. Here you can see how they go together, it's incredibly satisfying, the pin goes through the pinion and shaft and is then held in place by the bearing...

med_gallery_28308_3720_104628.jpg

Before adding the next items to hold it all in place. You can see the quality of the bearings and other components better in this picture...

med_gallery_28308_3720_93308.jpg

Step 6. The differentials...

med_gallery_28308_3720_66120.jpg

The diff on the left is all greased up, the one on the right is assembled dry for the photo just so you can see the components...

med_gallery_28308_3720_158074.jpg

Both fully assembled. The diffs are all bolted together and once again the quality and fit is second to none. No plastic here at all.

med_gallery_28308_3720_155352.jpg

Step 7 and the rear diff is ready to go into the rear axle which will be built up in this step.

med_gallery_28308_3720_315525.jpg

All greased up and ready to close up. Once again, everything slips into place beautifully. The smoothness of the differential and bearings is sublime and highly rewarding for your efforts.

med_gallery_28308_3720_130593.jpg

Step 7 complete.

med_gallery_28308_3720_301637.jpg

Step 8 takes us to the front axle.

med_gallery_28308_3720_227653.jpg

It's the same process virtually as the rear axle. This time around I've photo'd the locking diff option. I've left both of mine open, however if you want to lock them, you simply insert this extended grub screw through the diff housing and through the drive shaft which has a hole in it, this locks the shaft to the differential crown gear so the shaft cannot turn independently of the diff. It's a real neat detail.

med_gallery_28308_3720_8757.jpg

med_gallery_28308_3720_78678.jpg

Anyway, I left mine open so that extended grub screw was removed which allows the shaft to move independently. The outer diff housing has a short grub screw which covers up this access point in the housing. So to lock the diff, remove the outer grub screw which can be seen in photo below, insert the extended grub to lock the shaft to the crown wheel, then reinsert the short grub to seal the housing.

The photo below shows the front axle completed including step 9, which is to add the steering knuckles to the axle.

med_gallery_28308_3720_245510.jpg

Apologies if this build diary is a bit carried away. So far this build is everything I was expecting it to be, I'm delighted with what I've seen so far. The fact that Tamiya were producing this 30 years ago, (albeit I understand certain elements have been improved) is testament to how far ahead they were then and demonstrates why even vintage ones have stood the test of time so well. These were so expensive back in the day that for me they were unobtanium. The prices these can be had for now makes these far more accessible than they ever have been.

The quality, engineering and detail has made this a very satisfying build so far. 

Suspension tomorrow!! I'm hoping I have enough threadlock and grease to complete the build. I've been quite generous so far, although I do have some medium strength loctite in case I do run out!

That's all for now folks.....

Cheers

Nito

• Like 3

That little diff locking feature is on the hi-lift chassis too, cracking idea and a nice little touch to a awesome kit!

I did some detailing work on a original and the workmanship back then on first release was impressive as it is today.

Can't beat old tamiyas though, the staple to any enthusiast really......

• Like 1

Great work and documentation, :thumbsup: little tip for you,stick a bit double sided tape or blutak under the little lockthread pot,it will hold it still for you.

Thanks guys,

Today I made a start on Bag B!

med_gallery_28308_3720_148269.jpg

and here are the contents...

med_gallery_28308_3720_275913.jpg

This covers steps 10-17. So, step 10 is to build up the leaf springs and shackles and mount them onto the axles.

med_gallery_28308_3720_58551.jpg

All sounds easy enough. Here's a close up of the parts, once again lovely quality.

med_gallery_28308_3720_213856.jpg

But then first snag of the day.

med_gallery_28308_3720_32370.jpg

"Synthetic rubber cement", I've never even heard of it. It's a poor show that the manual calls for it yet it doesn't come with the kit. I was really quite disappointed about this.

Anyway, moving on because I wasn't going to delay the whole build until I tracked this stuff down and also it looked to me like the only purpose it really serves is to hold all the components together while you bolt it all up as you'd need about 10 hands without. I used my hot glue gun, a very thin spread on the items noted. Below you can see the items that required this cement, namely the black metal inserts on the white plastic and the silver blocks on the axles. With four bolts tightening up the U shackles I didn't think the cement would actually hold these items in place once installed, surely the clamping force would be sufficient. If not I'll need to re address it later but I'm sure it'll be fine.

med_gallery_28308_3720_224735.jpg

On the front axles I only used the hot glue on a couple of parts and juggled the rest. There are various requirements to set up here, angle of shackle against the axle, distance from the hub etc. The picture above shows the silver blocks in the wrong place, they actually needed moving in a bit!

med_gallery_28308_3720_143036.jpg

My wife had gone shopping with her mum at this point so I was left at home with the kids. In typical fashion it was right at this point that my youngest decided to start behaving like a monkey. He's 8 years old and came in disrupting everything. Anyway, long story short, eventually I managed to get it all where it needed to be. I didn't enjoy this step at all, in fact it was the worst so far, not helped by the circumstances! Sounds like my earlier warning of not building this with kids in the vicinity came back to haunt me!

Axles built up below. This step with all the distractions and thinking about what to use in lieu of the cement stuff took me 2 hours and 20 minutes!! There were a couple of minor errors I made here that I later had to rectify thanks to various distractions.

med_gallery_28308_3720_315591.jpg

Anyway, with that all over, step 11 is where the kit starts to come to life. Bolting these up to the chassis. Step 11 is the rear axle first.

med_gallery_28308_3720_38491.jpg

And here's one I made earlier ;)

med_gallery_28308_3720_43279.jpg

Step 12 adds the front axle to the chassis.

med_gallery_28308_3720_95197.jpg

As with all the chassis build elements, the only let down are the screws Tamiya use made of cheese. Not a problem really on plastic kits but on metal they are being tightened up more than on plastic. These ought to really be hex's made out of stainless as ibo has used on his build. It would have made this part more satisfying.

and here's a shot of the underside of step 12.

med_gallery_28308_3720_188193.jpg

Change of scenery for step 13, this is the part of the Hornet build that I always enjoy, assembling the dampers...

med_gallery_28308_3720_101906.jpg

I love the old school engineering and quality of components used in these; On the bruiser you get 4! Interesting to note that the chassis has the pickup points on it to add an additional 4 if you so wanted. Of course then it would lose scale realism.

med_gallery_28308_3720_214171.jpg

and step 14 all complete, dampers filled with oil, burped and sealed up.

med_gallery_28308_3720_175661.jpg

Step 15 is assembling the wheel hubs; Some more nice bearings and some bits of black plastic that gave me a hole in my hand after pushing down 4Nr against the tiled floor to get them seated in the hubs!

med_gallery_28308_3720_138469.jpg

and all done!!

med_gallery_28308_3720_82368.jpg

Step 16 is adding the lovely dampers and hubs to the rear;

med_gallery_28308_3720_298845.jpg

and done.

med_gallery_28308_3720_188097.jpg

Finally step 17, which is the same to the front along with adding the steering arms and bash guard. Components shown below.

med_gallery_28308_3720_59769.jpg

and the finished item (in terms of Bag B anyway!!);

med_gallery_28308_3720_250869.jpg

and the underside shot...

med_gallery_28308_3720_118898.jpg

Just under 2 hours for the later steps, so in total today I spent about 4 hours and 15 minutes building. That's a cumulative 8 hours and 45 minutes from start to this stage so far. Of course one could go quicker and I'm busy taking my time and documenting it all.

I think I'll probably be taking a break tomorrow and spending some time with the family. Between this and the Hornet I've had about 3 days out!

It's nice to sit back now and look at the chassis as it currently stands with fully working suspension. It's tempting to whack the wheels on just for fun!

The next step is the gearbox. I definitely don't want any interruptions there so I'll need to find a convenient slot. I'm estimating at my current snail pace probably 2-3 hours for that. The radio gear, esc and motor follow on from there then bodyshell but it'll almost be a pity to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I made a couple of silly minor mistakes today, all now corrected but it does annoy me when I find I've made a mistake! One of the steering knuckles has a slight tight spot at full lock so I'll need to investigate that more in due course. It's only slight but I want this build to be as perfect as I can get it. Think ibo mentioned he had the same with his kit so seems it might not be a one off.

All said and done, there are an awful lot of components that go into making this kit, very clever people who dreamt it all up initially. That's before even starting on the 3 speed box which is probably one of the more complex parts of the kit. I'm actually looking forward to that, hopefully it'll be as satisfying as the diffs!

Ta for now!

:)

Cheers

Nito

Edited by NITO
  • Like 2

Its great to compare notes and help each other out,then there again this is what this forum is all about,great members and loads of help and advice :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Ive really enjoyed building mine, i to had the steering knuckle issue rubbing, i just filled the axle down slightly, inspecting the end of axle i could see a raised mold knub, so i just filled it down untill smooth :)

Gearbox is pretty straight forward, plenty of grease in there, use grease on the 2 little balls that sit into the shift lever, to help hold them in place as you slide the lot into the gearbox case :) i also smoothed down the plastic C peices that sit into the shifters, just so they ran smooth on the shift rings, im well impressed with it though and how smooth it shifts gear, a testiment to its superb desighn even all those years ago, smoother than any hilift 3 speed ive had.

Good thread as well buddy, nice well detailed build thread, top job.

What set up are going for battery wise, and which esc are you using?

Edited by the watchman

Thanks for that link, looks great, might treat my WT01 to a set. Interesting that the black (high tensile) is so much dearer than the stainless. Won't the black still rust though?

Well the missus gave me three hours this morning to do my gearbox...managed to complete it in 3 hours 27 minutes without getting any grief :)

So without further ado...

deep breath, Bag C steps 18-26 - The gearbox.

med_gallery_28308_3720_232147.jpg

Bag C contents...

med_gallery_28308_3720_353856.jpg

Close up of some of the lovely quality components...

med_gallery_28308_3720_163052.jpg

Even more super quality bearings...looks like this gearbox is going to be a seriously smooth bit of kit...and it is...

med_gallery_28308_3720_186122.jpg

So to the gearbox. Step 18!

med_gallery_28308_3720_219096.jpg

During step 18...

med_gallery_28308_3720_165508.jpg

Completed...

med_gallery_28308_3720_186083.jpg

Step 19... Yum yum...lots of metal components...

med_gallery_28308_3720_313824.jpg

oh, and a couple of plastic ones too... I believe these are second and third gear...

med_gallery_28308_3720_334157.jpg

1st (metal), second and third (plastic)...all assembled on the main shaft...along with shifter rings. I had a little play with this while it was in this state, working out how the truck shifts. It's really clever stuff, I take my hat of once again to the guys that designed this; figured it all out, the prototyping, R&D, signing off and commissioning of this lot. The gearbox is a real work of art, the quality is out of this world for an RC car and at the current pricing of these kits, surely they would never make back the work involved in bringing it to market if it weren't for the fact that it's a re re. I'm delighted with the way this is going together. So satisfying. I thought the axles were good but this is another step beyond...oh, cracked open the second tube of grease half way through this stage...

med_gallery_28308_3720_153253.jpg

Step 20...Shift mechanism...shift forks and slider, just keeps getting better...

med_gallery_28308_3720_102965.jpg

...coz Grease is the way we are feeeeling!!!

med_gallery_28308_3720_130845.jpg

Insert...you can see the gearbox outlet for the front axle here. This engages with first gear, interesting to note that all cogs/gears to do with the front wheel drive part are full metal. 

med_gallery_28308_3720_47831.jpg

Sub shaft assembly as Tamiya call it...Step 21

med_gallery_28308_3720_245277.jpg

Art in progress...it's so satisfying, the way the rubber O rings slide over the cogs to retain the pins is great...

med_gallery_28308_3720_154768.jpg

Meet the second part of the gearbox casing...

med_gallery_28308_3720_85494.jpg

It's all taking shape now...

med_gallery_28308_3720_55073.jpg

Step 22...planetary gears...little bit fiddly this one, but great nonetheless...

med_gallery_28308_3720_223431.jpg

Can't believe I didn't get a pic of this step assembled...must have been so engrossed and excited in what I was building...getting towards the end of the gearbox build...covered in grease now too which makes taking photo's potentially mucky...

anyway, onto step 23...

med_gallery_28308_3720_177464.jpg

again I didn't get a pic of this little assembly, this really was covered in grease...but here it is added to the gearbox...was debating whether to have the rubber plugs fully pushed in as on the right which gives a really tight seal and looks hard like an 80's stud lol! Or as on the left. Think it's supposed to be like the one on the left so I corrected it. I have seen some kits built like the stud look though.

med_gallery_28308_3720_46491.jpg

So here we are, step 23 complete, gearbox done.

med_gallery_28308_3720_64051.jpg

Bag C isn't finished just yet though, just the motor and pinion to add, prop shafts, then attach it all to the chassis, but it's a convenient stop point for now. 

I see the next step calls for cement for the circlip on the propshafts. It doesn't state which cement, so that's another irritating cement reference, wish they would sort this out, it's frustrating when everything else is sooo good!

Great few hours, you wouldn't believe looking at the completed gearbox just how much work and componentry goes into it, and the sheer weight of it!! Hopefully the picture captures this to an extent, but it really is a rewarding part of the build. I never imagined it would be quite this involved. It's making me think I won't bother going brushless, the thought of ever needing to go into the gearbox again, not because its difficult or time consuming, but because the Titanic-esque components look so well engineered, bombproof and timeless, to have to go back in would almost be to do this work of art a disservice!! You just struggle to find true engineering like this nowadays, so to do so is a real treat...in case you hadn't guessed...I'm loving it!!

Drexel, in answer to your earlier question, I don't know if they're torsen diffs, they look similar in design although not helical. All I can say is that if you turn one wheel, the opposite side doesn't go in reverse, it moves forward the same way if that helps.

RJJ...what's the Mountain Rider waiting for? My only recommendations, buy some of that daft cement and the uprated metal screw kit. They're the only let down items. Not because it's a big issue but because the rest of it really is that good!

It's funny because I don't think anyone really buys a Bruiser to knock it up, it's the pinnacle of Tamiya engineering and always has been, top of the tree and always revered as such. It's a really big step to take due to the purchase cost but looks like most really take pride and care in the build, so you want everything to be as perfect as possible. It'll never be quite the same again building up the stock kits after this lol. I have a Wild Willy 2 to build next, that'll be a 5 minute breeze after this, somehow I don't think it'll be in the same league of satisfaction!!  

Cheers for now...

Nito

• Like 1

Hi watchman, 

Yes I cleaned up the shifter fork inserts also as the mould nib would have rubbed on the shift rings. Thanks for the compliments on the thread, hope it captures the spirit of the build which you've obviously experienced first hand! It's too good not to share!

I'm going to be fitting an HPI esc, I use all HPI stuff in my uprated basher, HPI ESC, Brushless and Lipo's, I love the quality of HPI stuff, runs Tamiya a close second IMHO and actually better in many things. I've come close to buying a Flux Savage in the past as a main basher but it's almost too extreme but I like what they do, where Tamiya have been pretty timeless in the stuff they knock out, HPI is a bit more extreme and leading edge with the newer technology I think.

For this truck I'm going for this ESC;

113076_1.jpg

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-sc-3swp-waterproof-electronic-speed-control/rc-car-products/384395

It's waterproof, Lipo compatible, (I have a Deans to Tamiya harness anyway) so I can use the HPI round stick Lipo's I use on my basher if I want or use standard Nimh ones. It's 2s or 3s compatible, and has standard Tamiya plug. It'll go down to a 12T so seems ideal. This was originally a stop gap to going HPI brushless (4300Kv 9T equiv), but we'll see how it goes first before making any decisions on alternative motors! I've heard top gear is pretty quick on these anyway. Looking at the gearbox, I don't think it would struggle with brushless power, but the handling from the agricultural leaf spring setup might become interesting; we'll see, to early to call but for now I'm fitting the above esc!

Cheers

Nito

Ahh gearbox done :) sounds like your really enjoying the build.

Yeah i looked at that exact esc, it seems like a cracker for the money, i to like hpi electrics, although on mine i opted for the tam teu104 esc, deans extension lead :)

Edited by the watchman

It's nice to keep it all Tamiya, but if you're planning to use lipo be careful, I think the Tamiya escs don't have lipo low voltage built in, just low voltage for Tamiya life batteries which is apparently set too low for lipo. That, low turn and waterproofing is why I went for the HPI one. The HPI stuff like Tamiya also has that sobre understated tasteful elegance that suits my tastes rather than lairy anodised blue and the like everywhere which is really not my bag!!

Cheers

Nito

Just loving these detailed build threads, and you have done a brilliant job Nito.

It's just personal preference on the black screws, I just like them to blend in more on my rc's.

Have some other projects that I would like to finish up 1st, re re egress is my current distraction lol but at some point I will get it built up and post a couple of pics.

Like you really want to sit down take my time and savour one of Tamiya's finest rc's imo.

It's nice to keep it all Tamiya, but if you're planning to use lipo be careful, I think the Tamiya escs don't have lipo low voltage built in, just low voltage for Tamiya life batteries which is apparently set too low for lipo. That, low turn and waterproofing is why I went for the HPI one. The HPI stuff like Tamiya also has that sobre understated tasteful elegance that suits my tastes rather than lairy anodised blue and the like everywhere which is really not my bag!!

Cheers

Nito

Yes nito, i thought keeping it all tamiya would be nice, the esc i went for is teu-104bk, it has lipo cut off but not waterproof but i dont intend on running this in water, i have my gelande 2 and ascender for that :) the other reason i chose this esc is the power switch size, its large and fits into the bruisers radio tray nicely, the switch then pops through the rear of the truck bed, it just keeps it looking tidy and i dont have to remove the body to switch it on and off, funny the 104 esc i have on order has just turned up litraly as im typing lol, ill get it swapped over today from my traxxas xl5 i have in there, also just waiting on another tamiya to arrive :) ill update my post when it comes.

Nice, please do!! Good point about the switch, didn't really consider that.

Are you sure about Lipo cut off, I looked into this way back, I'm not overly worried about waterproofing as its easy to waterproof them anyway (put in a balloon) , but the lipo thing is why I didn't go Tamiya. Have you actually tried the lipo cut on other models? Would be good to know as I can't confirm either way from Tamiya literature.

Thanks RJJ, fancy an Avante myself, especially the jap market black but think I'm way too late to find one! Are you putting pics up on the Egress build?

Edit: Oodboo, sorry our posts crossed I was referring to watchman when I said are you sure about lipo cut above. Thanks for the detailed info on the lipo cut in tour post below though.

Watchman, think you mentioned a 959 the other day, there is one on ebay with a brand new shell for sale, was in the

Edited by NITO

Damm, just reading the teu-104 instructions it does indeed say low voltage cut off is set at factory for LF batteries :( place i bought it from on ebay said lipo cut off :( lying git lol, its no big deal i have a few tiny lipo buzzers i can use, main thing for me was the switch size.