• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Wraith Spawn

Steven.T

Hi guys,

Just thought I would put some pics and thoughts of my new Wraith Spawn. Haven't had it doing anything challenging yet, only on a small grassy field at the top of our road, but so far everything seems good. Only been running on a 2s Lipo, speed is good, not sure what it's going to be like for off road as it's my first crawler/rock racer (whatever it's classed as!) but the ESC can take up to a 3s. I reckon the steering arms on the front could do with upgrading to something more solid, they seem a little flimsy but I can't seem to find anything suitable for the wraith at the minute (although I haven't looked very hard!) 

The battery is a bit of a pain to get in and out, through where the back window is, I'll probably get used to that the more I use it!

I also took a wheel off to have a look at the pin drive (never seen one before), the pin fell out, had a right chew on getting it to fit back into the hub properly, it then fell out again, and has got lost. So there's now a cut down R clip of the right size acting as the pin...

Some lights wouldn't go amiss either, so I think I'm going to install the ones that come as stock on the normal wraith, it looks like they should just bolt straight on. Hopefully will get it properly outdoors later in the week and get some action shots.

The body is just normal lexan, seems tough enough, It flipped over a couple of times on the grass and twice on tarmac and theres no scratches or dents (yet!). It shows up as an off white in most photos I've seen (and took myself) but its actually more a light grey, no doubt some will paint their own colour scheme onto it before long! I think the only thing that lets the body down is the stickers for lights. the body is held on by 4 small screws towards the bottom, seems good enough!

IMAG2259.jpg

IMAG2260.jpg

IMAG2258.jpg

IMAG2261.jpg

IMAG2262.jpg

The Rx's aerial is just sort of floating around, there is a tube included so I might run it through the tube and cable tie it to the chassis somewhere, no big deal but it's just annoying me!

IMAG2263.jpg

IMAG2267.jpg

The bracket for the ESC seems a bit naff, the ESC is just stuck on, with the on/off switch stuck on the side, both with tape. I doubt this is going to stay put long, there is an alternative mount in the spare parts bag however, so may change this:

IMAG2268.jpg

The interior and driver are also nicely detailed and finish it off quite nicely inside:

IMAG2265.jpg

Thats all for now!

Cheers,

Steven

Edited by Steven.T

• 4 weeks later...

Added the standard Wraith lights to the Spawn tonight. I think they look quite good, however the outer two front lights are hidden behind the body. Don't know whether to cut the false lights off the body, or maybe just cut circles out to imitate headlights? Any thoughts?

IMAG2277.jpg

IMAG2278.jpg

IMAG2279.jpg

Had it running in some snow on 3S aswell, really good fun!

Cheers,

Steven

Nice rig!

I would suggest will be a set of axial CVD's and GPM steering link the CVD's will give you better turning circle and the steering link will give you more response.

Loads of hop-ups for the wraith best stuff generally comes from America 'vanquish' products being the holy grain... However be prepared to pay for it!

AsiaTees has loads of hop-up and genuine axial parts at very good prices http://www.asiatees.com/model?Axial-Wraith-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Axial&model=Wraith

Check out AJ's wraith tread for what is possible if you have an understanding wife :)

Thanks for the replies! I was looking at upgrading the steering links to start with, and slowly replacing other bits (unless they break first!). Ive been folowofollowing AJ's thread, haven't got a wife yet so no problem there!

still unsure whether to cut out the false headlights on the body, seems a shame to have them second lights hidden!

Cheers

Steven

hey

well most of us dnt have 'full bodies' like yours and generally only run a bonnet upfront.  Take a look at our wraiths in this thread http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/203586-4-wraiths-doing-the-dirty/ and you'll se what I mean.

I have seen some blokes mount the lights behind their headlight and 'seal them in' so they only illuminate the headlights so it looks like they are on but personally I think it looks naf.

you could possibly mount the two smaller lights on the bumper somehow if you didnt want to cut the body to actually gain some use from them... in the end the choice is yours I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Had this out for a night run last Sunday, and again today in the snow. I've also fitted some COB Led light panels which are a lot brighter than the axial ones!

Some pics of the new lights and todays run out: 

IMAG2282.jpg

IMAG2281.jpg

IMAG2280.jpg

P1300645.jpg

P1300646.jpg

P1300647.jpg

P1300648.jpg

P1300650.jpg

P1300653.jpg

Got some new steering and suspension links ordered, waiting until the current ones break before I replace them I think! Also ordered a new motor for when this one burns out (probably won't be long as its running on 3S!)

Cheers,

Steven

• Like 3

Well, I was right. The stock motor burned out the other day after getting caught up in long grass. New one is a Snow Panther 19T from asiatees, will see what its like next time i'm out running!

http://www.asiatees.com/display?Miscellaneous-All-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=84068

Also got the links in the same parcel, decided to fit them and keep the plastic ones as spares for the time being. 

Just to finish off, a few pics from last weeks night run:

nightsnow.jpg

Two SXC10's and my wraith:

nighthill.jpg

Cheers,

Steven

• Like 1