• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/10 scale nitro buggy

pmac

Hi all, I run a HPI Savage, which I love, but I am after something smaller for playing around with. I would ideally like a 1/10 scale nitro buggy, it would just be used on tarmac and dirt. There is a huge choice about, I would appreciate any advice / recommendations in what model to go for, ideally 4wd, not too bothered about the radio gear as I have that and would install it. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks Paul.

I know technically a Jato is an ST but sounds like it would do just what you are wanting. Other than that cannot think of 1/10 (that's no HSP).

If you are open to a little project, the Losi 810 can be found used or as a roller. It's technically a 1/8 but really it's a a 1/8 chassis wit 1/10 parts (99% the same parts as the SCTE so you'll have all the parts you need). I can tell you've I have been around a lot of nitro buggies, and the 810 is my all-time favorite. It's wicked fast, jumps like a deer and can be made as durable as the Hyper 7 for $20-30.  This winter I should get mine under 5lbs fully dressed.

Just a thought...if you are interested PM me and I can help you find one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys, I only wanted a 1/10 scale as I have the 1/8 scale Savage, and I fancied something smaller, I could go for a 1/8 scale if there is more choice, and they are better. I like tinkering and would not mind a project to play around with. I suppose I just wanted something different from the Savage. I just don't want to buy some junk, that breaks every 5 minutes, that you can't get parts for. I got my Savage after advice on here, and am chuffed to bits with it, so I return for advice on a buggy. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice guys, I only wanted a 1/10 scale as I have the 1/8 scale Savage, and I fancied something smaller, I could go for a 1/8 scale if there is more choice, and they are better. I like tinkering and would not mind a project to play around with. I suppose I just wanted something different from the Savage. I just don't want to buy some junk, that breaks every 5 minutes, that you can't get parts for. I got my Savage after advice on here, and am chuffed to bits with it, so I return for advice on a buggy. Thanks.

The two I mentioned are far more durable (stock v stock) than a Savage. Of course I imagine you are aware one can make the Savage durable as anything--I did it with mine...Granted it it took multiple, multiple gallons of unplanned crashes to work my way through all the POF. I also have vehicles that far more durable than Hyper 7 but would be overkill for what you are wanting.

The Savage, while it's durability is a bit over-hyper (remember some guys upgrade to it from weaker vehicles so so to them it is a 'tank') ;-) it's a solid, mid market vehicle that you can really grow with...and IMO far from junk. Unsure of your experience just want to ensure you get proper expectations as durability can be subjective to someone who has not had experience with a breadth of vehicles.. If your Savage was breaking down---often---driving on the tarmac there might be something else needing attention. 

I've found the Savage community to be one of the most supportive out of any brand I've owned. Just something to consider if you need any help with your Savage. Good luck and let us know your choice!

EDIT: Apologies...after my reply I had to ask my wife (who is from London) what the heck 'chuffed to bits' meant and she said it means you are pleased. Rock on. ;-) (I was thinking you felt the Savage was 'junk' and I was trying to tactfully explain it's not bomb-proof there are far worse. ;-) Get yourself a Hyper 7 and go have some fun! ;-)

Edited by Nitro RC Nerd

1/8 buggy is quite a bit smaller than a Monster Truck. Smaller and lighter.

The problem you will find with 1/10 buggies offroad is the ground clearance. If the local authority don't mow the grass often enough, you may not even be able to run it in the local park....which can be a bit limiting.

I would definitely recommend a Hyper 7. I bought one a wile back, and it was easy to overhaul, easy to get parts for and cheap to fix.

I bought mine as a roller, and fitted my own engine.

I turned mine into a rally car with stiffer rear suspension, home made bumpers and a RallyGame shell. Pop a set of slicks on it, and it's fun on Tarmac...but I can still put on other tyres and go offroad.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies, and good advice. I had my heart set on a 1/10 scale buggy, but after reading all your advice I will definitely be getting a Hyper 7 now. These forums are fantastic for help and advice, and have saved me making costly mistakes in the past, so thanks again for making them work, and may I wish you all a great Christmas and New Year.

Cheers Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Got my hyper 7 today, want to install my radio gear before I run it. It has come with the h-101 servos fitted which I believe are a weak point. I am looking at a Savox 1256tg for the steering and a Savox 1257tg for the throttle / brake. I have sold some bits on EBay and have some cash in my PayPal account for some upgrades. Do you think the Savox set up is over kill for the Hyper 7 , would I be better spending my cash elsewhere?

Again any advice greatly recieved.

Cheers Paul.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, been playing with my Hyper today, I love it really good purchase, thanks for you recommendations. I have run it in and set up the needles the best I can. It really flies alond and revs right out, the only thing is that, when you slow down then give it full throttle it will bog out (hesitate) for a second then it will pick up and fly off with no problems, it only does this 50% of the time the rest of the time it picks up fine. I am not sure if it is too rich or lean. It doesn't seem to smoke excessively and runs fine apart from that.

Any ideas / opinions are greatly received.

Cheers Paul.