• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage drive stub left hand thread.

jonny.k

Started to fit my hub extenders to my Savage 25,, two went on one side no problems,, But when i came to do the other side i found that the hub nut is a left hand thread!!!

That means i can't fit the last 2 as the hub shaft is the reverse thread to the extender i'm trying to fit...

Is this normal on the Savage? Or just on the 25?

And where can i get 2 replacement stubs from?

They stopped that after the 25 ...

You will notice 2 of your axles are black...and 2 silver. The silver are the left hand thread.

You would have to replace with another pair of black 25 axles. early version Savage X axles should fit fine too before they went to a bigger HD version with the last model

the theory was, the reversed thread would prevent the wheelnuts undoing, so with opposite threads...the wheels rolling forward would tighten the nuts, not loosen them.

In practice...just doing them up properly was plenty good enough, and the expense of making different axles for left and right sides just wasn't worth it.

At least yours wasn't mashed.....on one truck I had, I went to take the wheels off and found that a normal nut had been put on the left hand thread axle. That takes determination! It had chewed the thread on the nut, and damaged the axle thread....and I had to cut the nut in half to get it off. Surely the guy must have noticed!