• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja gearbox....want to spin it the other way

Nitroholic

Been pondering a project, and I reckon it could work provided I could mount the engine BEHIND the gearbox, rather than it's more usual 'in front' location.

Now..obviously..I can't just turn the whole thing round, as it would make the vehicle run the wrong way.

Electric power is an option....but that would be defeatist, as I want the smoke and noise

So...I wondered.... is there another way of doing this.

My thought so far is to rotate the motor 180' .... This puts the pinion drive gear on the left rather than the right. I would then need to adapt the gearbox to have the layshaft on the opposite side too. Looks to me like the moulding is symetrical...so I can just swap the little plastic plug over. I know you can install bearings on both sides anyway.

Now....that in my mind would reverse the direction of spin at the diff.....so than I can just turn the whole assembly round, and with the gearbox at the front, then engine will be behind. With the motor spinning in it's normal direction, the vehicle should then move correctly without having to mess about with non standard parts, and allowing me to have the motor behind the gearbox.

Will this work.... or have I gone mad?

Mad mad mad,

Hpi already ahead of its time, everyone else elec bring out mid motor conversion.

We already had mid motor so leave it lol

What about the car length with the engine on the rear? Long enough as they are

You have too much free time to think about doing this lol

Mad mad mad,

Hpi already ahead of its time, everyone else elec bring out mid motor conversion.

We already had mid motor so leave it lol

What about the car length with the engine on the rear? Long enough as they are

You have too much free time to think about doing this lol

You also assume I am putting this in a CAR and that it has anything to do with something even vaguely Baja shaped :)

That would be far too dull and boring!

There are very good reasons for me wanting the transmission the other way round. It will actually give me better weight distribution, even out the ground pressure and give me better cooling for the motor...but the main reason is it just won't fit in the thing any other way.

• Like 1

Been pondering a project, and I reckon it could work provided I could mount the engine BEHIND the gearbox, rather than it's more usual 'in front' location.

Now..obviously..I can't just turn the whole thing round, as it would make the vehicle run the wrong way.

Electric power is an option....but that would be defeatist, as I want the smoke and noise

So...I wondered.... is there another way of doing this.

My thought so far is to rotate the motor 180' .... This puts the pinion drive gear on the left rather than the right. I would then need to adapt the gearbox to have the layshaft on the opposite side too. Looks to me like the moulding is symetrical...so I can just swap the little plastic plug over. I know you can install bearings on both sides anyway.

Now....that in my mind would reverse the direction of spin at the diff.....so than I can just turn the whole assembly round, and with the gearbox at the front, then engine will be behind. With the motor spinning in it's normal direction, the vehicle should then move correctly without having to mess about with non standard parts, and allowing me to have the motor behind the gearbox.

Will this work.... or have I gone mad?

This should work