• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engine Tuning

Nitro RC Nerd

I imagine there are some posts on here for how to tune, but thought I'd post up my process for a 'base tune' in hopes to help those new, or those who sometimes struggle with engine tuning.

This is simply MY process. There are a myriad of ways to get there....so this is not to say any other way is wrong. As noted, this is just the general process, and I'm happy to elaborate on any of this. It took me almost two years before I could truly race tune, and I learned this on almost 20 different engines.

Finally....this process won't work if you skip around, so it has to be performed in this order.

1. Put needles to stock settings. If you don
Edited by Nitro RC Nerd
  • Like 3

Really good guide, as you said top end engines are sensitive to tune.  The Nova Virtus I have is unbelievably sensitive to the increments on the LSN and HSN..  I have got to the point that the idle snaps instantly to idle but on WOT and top of the rev range it sometimes cuts out.  Which I think could a tad lean, but it idles great for ever!...  I love trying to get the tune right tbh, all part of the fun.

:thumbsup:

I have got to the point that the idle snaps instantly to idle but on WOT and top of the rev range it sometimes cuts out.  

:thumbsup:

If it's happening the instance you release the throttle after WOT, it could be your idle is too small (especially if it happens before its heat saturated_. That has happened to me a few times and I opened the idle and fattened the low end a tad and it fixed it. Also, unsure if you have any other Novas but if so you probably know you can share carbs, so if one has a spot on tune you can try it to see if it's something other than the needle settings. . 

And yes, Novas are insanely sensitive--very small tuning window. I have some modded ones where the needles are past flush and even the stock ones are no more than 1/2 turn from flush.. Just shows that a tune is a tune...doesn't matter where the needles end up. Looking forward to reading about how you are liking that Virtus. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have a look at some YouTube vids to get a general idea.

What engine are you trying to start? Some factory settings are a little TOO rich making starting even harder.

One thing RC Nerd didn't mention in his original post is heat - heat is your friend when starting a new engine which can be mega tight. You need to loosen it up a little. Set to factory settings and give your engine a good blast with a hairdryer - I'm talking a good couple of mins.

As long as your glow starter is fully charged, plug fully functional and fresh fuel you're almost guaranteed a start.