• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FPV Spanky on the Rocks

JAB1a

Hi All,

We got permission to fly around a local active gravel quarry, no workers were on site during the weekend so we had the opportunity to check it out and have a fly around the all the equipment.

This video was filmed back in September while the weather had a break from the rain and wind. The site is used to create fine gravel and aggregate for local businesses and has been active many decades.

The location would be so good to have Mini FPV Quad races around all the equipment, there is even a track behind this location that would be an excellent advanced course for the later races with a 50meter high incline on the straight.

Best viewed full screen @1080p

• Like 3

Thanks for your nice comments mate, really good to hear that and I hope you had as much fun as I did making it ;)

Im using a Arco Naze32 using the latest Baseflight firmware on stock PIDs and rates. For FPV I use the trusty Sony PZ0420 and to record I use the Mobius wide angle camera (type B). I use Fatshark Attitude SD googles with their vTx both fitted with custom skew planar antenna (Gav V2's), that's four lobes on both Tx and Rx which I know some would disagree with but its a personal preference.

Here are some Photo's taken by my spotter on this day...

The area was covered in fine dust...
81h3Fnal.jpg

Which made for some great trails of dust when at speed...
rHjafjfl.jpg

After the small tumble into the stinging nettles I realised a few magnets had come loose in the ZMR1804 motors which can be easily fixed with super glue...
FkGCcpTl.jpg

Lucky I had the tools with me...
FEkhhhLl.jpg

Use No.9999 for zip ties, as a spreader for superglue. Once I found the magnet, just remove it and clean the section where it sits and then apply a thin layer of superglue...
EvUo7Qel.jpg

After that, rebuild the motor and its back in the air for another attempt...
UDo53gXl.jpg

A rare spot, a caged Spanky...
ZaYN2SXl.jpg

No one like to see these animals caged, they should be allowed to roam free among the trees...
VtYQ8jEl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

this is absolutely amazing, your flying skills are impressive :) 

cant wait to see more from you ;)

Cheers mate ;) The weather here has been non flyable for quite some time so it might be a while before the next video apart from I am trying to put a 2014 compilation video together and its proving to be a nightmare, 269Gb of 750odd video's to squeeze into a 4min36sec song lol