• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

broken vattera glamis nuno

icebeaver

Hi all

I bought my lad a used glamis uno as spares or repair being told there's a problem with the diff as it makes a horrible grinding noise and even worse in reverse.

I took it apart and the only thing I could find broken was a single broken tooth on the middle rear, could a single broken tooth cause all that grinding or am should I be looking for something else. This is the first car I've ever tried to repair so am pretty clueless.

Many thanks

Glamis Uno has quite a trick torque vectoring diff - looks pretty complicated. Is the missing tooth on the outer ring? If so it should make a periodic clicking noise, grinding suggests something in the diff internals is binding.

The diff has the usual gears in with some slipper plates as well. I not sure of the part numbers, but they are not expensive. Also check the bearings on the outdrive as these can wear. If they seize they can wreck the transmission case. I had this happen as I ran mine on a beach and the salt and sand did some damage.

If the case is cracked it could have been done in a crash, or rebuilt wrong. The out drive bearings sit on the outside lip each side of the diff. Mine seized and trashed the diff case. Even if the internals of the diff look ok I wouldstrip not all down. Vaterra have a good website and if you don't have the manual, you can download one from there.

I think this is it.

http://www.vaterrarc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=VTR04000#prod_section_resources

Edited by M1tchy

They do seem big. I gave up and just screwed the two diff halves together and put some silicone around the outside before tightening them right up. It seems to work.

I glued the broken transmission case back together and reassembled everything, now the motor and all gears turn fine, but as soon as you put the wheels on and give throttle its the same grinding noise, it's like any sort of reistance to the wheels and somthing grinds like mad. I've had the diff apart and checked all bearings which are fine, just the middle gear has a tooth missing(which i have ordered).

Any more advice what to check for?

Middle gear tooth is your culprit. 

BEFORE you put it all back together, go back into the gearbox and check the teeth of each of the other gears.

those teeth when they crack off can become jammed between other gear teeth and cause griding to.

if possible try and find the old broken tooth and remove it.

also run through the manual and reset the slipper clutch to, this can be a little loose and the bearings running round can cause a whine like noise

because its very close to gearbox it can make a person think the problem is more deeper inside than external - semi external parts.

• Like 1

As above, the slipper clutch can make a bit of noise. I adjust mine by leaving it slack and slowly tighten it. Seems a backward way to do it, but slipper clutches bed in and need adjusting after a while.

• Like 1

I've just checked and the broken tooth is not stuck anywhere, I have also adjusted the slipper clutch as tight and as loose as possible with no apparent differnce.

If you put in full throttle it moves about 1mph and makes a horrible noise and it wont even move in reverse. It does feel and sound like the gears are just not catching.

Would a single broken tooth on the middle gear cause such a big issue?

Sorry if i keep repeating myself I just don't want to wait 10 days to get my middle gear delivered to find out its somthing else that's the problem. m1tchy where the middle gear sits on yours is it just a raised plastic circle (seems strange) and I've nothing to compare it to.

Just thought, is the pinion the correct pitch? Could be why it sounds crunchy. Also check that the rear shaft and spur are tight, the gear cover might be loose allowing that bit of movement to cause that sound. Remove the diff covers and clean all the grease and dirt out then put fresh grease in. Could even be a bent centre shaft rubbing on the chassis. Check the centre shaft cup grub screws front and back too.