• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AJ's KV1 Heavy Metal Russian Armour

.AJ.

Thought I better start a build thread on my Torro KV1 tank

Bought this a few weeks ago and been spending my time fiddling and making more it realistic

Anyway this is how she started

20141106_155538_zpsutqoawhk.jpg

Had a few few issues from the start

One storage bin was damaged, the set sent me new set, because of this ive had to repaint the tank, the replacement bins are only available in raw metal finish

The TX had a sticky lever, which was found to a rusted screw on a gimbal making it stick

I bought the BB version of the tank, I really wanted the IR/recoil version, but that was

• Like 1

Liking the look of that smoker .... does it kick out a really nice big plume when you rev up?

Love the look of a KV1, and that Torro one looks nice then the HengLong ones.

nice build so far ... can't wait to see it finished

Cheers, the smoker only runs a set speed, but the control unit I'm going for (IBU2 Pro) has proportional control, so it will rev up on start up and then go to to a slow idle and then ramp up with engines revs

Mounted up some spare tracks

20141130_111753_zps4jipx4j3.jpg

Also rewired the shocking soldering job on the main power switch

20141130_091036_zps1m8ch2tr.jpg

Yea I know the gearbox has pot metal gears, they are on my list to do, I'll either go for 4/1 Taigen gearboxes with steel gears or possibly a set of Watersons gearboxs

I rate the latest Taigen steel gearboxes very highly. Very durable and quiet. My Jagdpanther has them and with the sound turned off you can't hear the gearboxes as it goes past.

Here's a set of them fitted with much faster high torque fan cooled motors which will be going in the Torro Tiger 1. Too many amps though for the standard control module.

John

Torro-Taigen-Gearboxes_zpsee7927c0.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

I'm steering towards the Taigen gearbox's, I'll be sticking to the standard motors for now, but extra torque would be nice, I definitely don't need extra speed, she is well too fast as it is and the change from 3/1 to 4/1 should get the speed to whereabouts I want it

Edited by .AJ.

I'll go check them motors out :)

Very similar to the Graupner 400s if not identical. This is where I bought some from. The shop has some good motors of various types including brushless useful for other things rather than tanks.

http://www.puffinmodels.com/product.php?prod=1070

BTW came across a brushless system just for  for Tagen/Torro tanks the other day. A snip at only

Great price, good to see they do a 3s version as well, I'm ordering a IBU2 tomorrow and will have the option to run 3s. Room in the tank is starting to getting very limited and a 2800mah 3s lipo I have fits side ways in the hull perfectly freeing up loads of room :)