• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

what is a good beginner quadcopter?

MAZ

I cannot believe it - my partner wants a quadcopter!!!

She's shown no interest in RC before but she saw a quadcopter and thought it looked interesting. Then when I told her about using fpv or mounting a decent camera AMD taking some cool aerial pics she was definitely up for it :)

(Getting a quadcopter I mean - not the other "up for it" shame really...)

So... What would a good beginner quad be?

Maybe a hubsan??

This is new territory to me so any advice would as always be appreciated :)

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice so far guys :)

The syma X5C looks okay and I've seen some on Amazon that come with extra batteries which is good :)

Can I get bigger capacity lipos for the syma?

I cannot believe it - my partner wants a quadcopter!!!

She's shown no interest in RC before but she saw a quadcopter and thought it looked interesting. Then when I told her about using fpv or mounting a decent camera AMD taking some cool aerial pics she was definitely up for it :)

(Getting a quadcopter I mean - not the other "up for it" shame really...)

So... What would a good beginner quad be?

Maybe a hubsan??

This is new territory to me so any advice would as always be appreciated :)

Thanks

here is advice from a quad builder / owner / flyer / photographer. 

first off. being a pilot in control. so the lady must first learn to fly and the male MUST encourage not take over control.

so a hubsan x4 or a nano hubsan, forget cameras at the mo being able to fly is the key part.

hubby holds the beer can out and wife has to land ontop.

all your going to do is tell her to throttle up a little or down a little and leave her to work out left and right.

about a month playing with the hubsan and a few breaks, grab some parts.

KK2 flight controller

cheap 330 - 450mm frame X confing

4x 800-1000kv motors and 4 cheap esc (25-30amp escs)

your handset and rx borrowed

and your 3s 2200 lipo

grab a set of 8x4.5 quadcopter props. 

build this machine, and teach you and wifey to fly it, then once you had fun , add a small set of DJI type legs and a cheap camera

put 9x4.7 props on and take it easy. 

one factor is getting lost, spacial aweareness , what way is front and back, so to start with learn to fly with the hubsan lights on.

in the daytime some bright yellow nail paint on the front motors helps give an idea front and rear.

you must start small and simple, if it breaks no worries new props a new motor soldered on.

if its fatal, then something like a TWISTER quad from CML/jperkins . and they can carry a small keychain camera.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

here is advice from a quad builder / owner / flyer / photographer. 

first off. being a pilot in control. so the lady must first learn to fly and the male MUST encourage not take over control.

so a hubsan x4 or a nano hubsan, forget cameras at the mo being able to fly is the key part.

hubby holds the beer can out and wife has to land ontop.

all your going to do is tell her to throttle up a little or down a little and leave her to work out left and right.

about a month playing with the hubsan and a few breaks, grab some parts.

KK2 flight controller

cheap 330 - 450mm frame X confing

4x 800-1000kv motors and 4 cheap esc (25-30amp escs)

your handset and rx borrowed

and your 3s 2200 lipo

grab a set of 8x4.5 quadcopter props. 

build this machine, and teach you and wifey to fly it, then once you had fun , add a small set of DJI type legs and a cheap camera

put 9x4.7 props on and take it easy. 

one factor is getting lost, spacial aweareness , what way is front and back, so to start with learn to fly with the hubsan lights on.

in the daytime some bright yellow nail paint on the front motors helps give an idea front and rear.

you must start small and simple, if it breaks no worries new props a new motor soldered on.

if its fatal, then something like a TWISTER quad from CML/jperkins . and they can carry a small keychain camera.

Very good advice me thinks I just got a hubsan x4 and despite what people say they are that easy to control I am quite shocked at the speed these things can reach and I haven't had it going flat out yet think that might take some practice great fun though