• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/10 Ecx torment 4wd

Jokr90

Okay so I've got an ecx torment, swapped out the motor and esc for a brushless combo,

An ezrun 5.5t and xerun 120amp esc to be exact,

Now the problem...

It keeps cutting out, I don't know why, I've got a double fan on the motor, cut out the windows for airflow so I don't think overheating is the problem, I've tried using the programmer card to turn the overheat protection off... But it won't let me

If anyone could help would be great :-)

What kV is the can, and have you checked that it is rated for the cell count you are using on the ESC?

Assuming the new set up is a power hike over stock, have you kept the same gearing and have you actually measured running temps?

Have you checked the lvc cut off?it may be cutting in early, so require reducing.

I might be totally wrong but isn't 5.5t really high kv, like 5000-6000? Lower torque / higher revs. Not ideal for a 4wd sct surely?

Depends on battery / gearing too I suppose (as said above), but I would have thought circa 3500kv would be good for a 4wd torment. I have the 2wd version BTW, great truck for the money.

I would ditch the fans too ther just gimic for motors. A heat sink is good enough mayb the fans are shorting it or draining it. Plus the hw sc8 esc does kick lvc in pretty early ditch all of the auto settings and manually enter them in. Even better still use an external lvc.

The sc8 is known to think a full 3s lipo is a flat 4s lipo. The lvc wants to be set an increment below normally recomended but take care on that one just incase.

When it cuts out put it on the charger to see volts per cell and compare it to what the esc should be cutting the power at. 

Edited by RCbutcher

Hey

It's 6000kv,

Also you might need to explain a few things for me, not clued up yet,

How would I find out if it's rated ?

As far as I know it's the same gearing, guy in the shop fitted the combo so he might of put a low t pinion in, I think it's between 7-9...

Don't quote me on that, don't know the spur gear t count,

Can't check running temp no thermo,

And I've got the lvc on 2.8 p/cell it was on a lot higher,

Haven't got a great charger either, just a standard balance one :-/

6000kv is way OTT for a 4wd SCT, lol...

Somewhere in the paperwork for the ESC should be rating info, as in, if using 2s, can size less than x kV, if using 3s, can size less than y kV. Make sense?

The wpsc8 is: less than/equal to 6000kv for 2s, 4000kv for 3s and 3000kv for 4s BUT that's a guideline only. Lower kV generates less heat (lower rpm) and provides more torque. An SCT needs torque, not high revs. I ran the sc8 with a 2650kv can on 3 and 4s in a slash 4wd: insane performance, ran cool with the right gearing.

As pointed out by esteemed colleagues, 3 - 4000kv is where you need to be. As you are experiencing through the ESC thermalling and shutting down, gearing down the 6000kv can isn't working, and won't ever!

Time to invest in a new can, buy a temp gun and a range of pinions/research what combos other owners are using and gear accordingly :)

• Like 3

No, that's a 28mm can, you really want to find a 36mm can, like a 3650 (540 type) or a 3656 (like the HW SCT cans), where the '36' is the diameter and the '50' or 56 is the length.

Some '540's' are actually a 380 inside a 540 can, these are ok for lighter applications, but can run hotter in a heavier truck like a 4x4 SCT. I have come across one in a 4x4 slash, but probably better to go with true 540/550.

Oh, should have also said you need a sensorless type motor if running ezrun.

Edited by bertberr
  • Like 1

Leopard motors are good, in the red cans, not the finned, orange cans. No experience of reedy myself: the 550 can should be a powerhouse ;)

Hobbywing ezrun four pole cans are good, a 3400kv would suit nicely...

I think I'm gonna go for the reedy 550,

Seems reasonably priced,

I've got 2 esc's and a motor esc battery and charger on eBay for sale to get funds for it haha,

Not gonna use them so why not XD

Thanks btw for the advice and knowledge

• 2 years later...