• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tuning savage xl issues

turtletom100

So the other day I made a thread about a needle turned out to be the low speed needle and I had being adjusting the mid speed needle it have reset that back to factory (flush then in a half turn) and reset everything else to factory.

Got her idling nicely but I jist can't seem to find the right settings full throttle causes either bogging or dying but if eased into it is ok. Now I have read different people say it lsn and others say hsn. Other thing I notice is when accelerating don't get the gear changes (using 3 speed transmission)

I have tried to get a video best I could in the dark also as you can see the exhaust isn't standard (currently using twin exit fitted to rear of car) and could have some effect on the noise

Savage xl:

Starting from factory settings you should tune the high speed needle first then the low speed needle. With the high speed needle you need to run the car in a wide space at wide open throttle, run the car at WOT and see how it performs, at factory settings it will probably bog, and from this point lean it an eighth of a turn then run it at WOT a few times to clear it out, if still bogs and doesn't reach top revs and is down on performance, lean it an eighth of a turn again. Keep doing this until you reach optimum performance at wide open throttle, and then richen it a little bit, between a quarter and an eighth of a turn to prevent engine damage. Then move on the the LSN. The same process applies but with acceleration. See how it performs under acceleration and when it accelerates as best as possible after leaning it an eighth of a turn each time back it off a little bit to stop it running too lean. You should then be able to adjust the idle screw to change the carb gap to get the car to idle and it should sit at idle and run happily through a tank without moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1