• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Water in tyres

Sharkfat78

I haven't tried it, but because of the very high power trucks I have, I'm not a fan of punching holes in the rubber.

Personally, I'd just try your Plan A - squeeze out what you can, then dry the rest.

Al.

I had a set of savage tires with really nasty foams that must have got wet then dried then wet , dry ect. They looked mouldy and stank. Now i try to seal the tires so mine never end up like that. Glue them all the way around then a peice of gorilla tape over the rim holes. 

I had a set of savage tires with really nasty foams that must have got wet then dried then wet , dry ect. They looked mouldy and stank. Now i try to seal the tires so mine never end up like that. Glue them all the way around then a peice of gorilla tape over the rim holes.

good idea dude!!

without quoting the numerous posts above...

Taping the holes on the inside of the wheel - not the best idea. The holes are there for a reason. Hit the landing of a jump hard and the tyre compresses. The foam is what provides resistance as these are not pneumatic tyres. i.e. it is not air in the tyre that provides the support but the foam. tape them up and the air can leak out through the side- i.e. blow the glue between rim and tyre. or worse tear the tyre.

to all other comments - most if not all buggy tyres I have bought second hand from racers have had 4 small 2 or 2.5 mm holes equally spaced round the outside of the tyre.

To do it :

- use something to cut a NEAT hole in the centre line of the tyre - I use a 2.5 mm drill bit on a pillar drill or on a dremel. If I only had a hand drill I might use a leather punch

- put 4 holes equally spaced round the tyre

- if you are really paranoid about tyre life then put the holes in the lugs of the tyre - e.g. on a set of Trencher X monster truck tyres I put the hole through one of the treads. Plenty of lateral stiffness and strength there to stop any risk of tearing the tyre.

Why does it work?

without risking a physics lesson its the same principle as used by the spin cycle on a washing machine. or the same as on a merry go round. - water is thrown to the outside of the tyre and exits via the holes.

I personally don't see any decent way of doing it other than holes in the outside of the tyre

Q/A

- will water get back in? yes... but when bashing water is CONTINUOUSLY forced out of the tyre. Every high speed run is drying out your tyres. No waiting for a warm radiator

- does it risk breaking the tyre? not with a neat hole in my experience. Even less likely if you have already taped the inside of the tyre!

- does it work when out bashing? yes - all the time. vs radiator when you get home.

- is it quick? yes - fully saturated tyres will be ready to go after about 3-4 minutes of high speed runs. just watch the wobbles while the tyre is still fully loaded with water.

- downsides? yes - possibly faster to absorb water if standing around in puddles not blasting through them. 

- downside 2? watch the weight of the water in the tyres when initially spinning them up. If the vehicle has been resting then all the water will be at the lowest point of the tyre. Spin it up quickly and watch the truck try and wreck your bearings and rip wheels from axles. (like an unevenly loaded washing machine on fast spin cycle). spin it up slowly and the water is pushed evenly round the tyre and out through the holes.

• Like 2