• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rock Crawling organised competitions/events?

neil.b

Do such things exist in the UK?

I just got home from my clubs AGM and the topic of setting up a rock crawling competition course and possibly organising events/competitions came up.

Would people be interested in coming and using a course if we set it up? The club is 5 minutes from junction 26 of the M1. We have facilities on site like proper toilets and a cafe.

Edited by neil.b

Scale nationals is a established event done by rrci magazine.

Also use black rocks in Derbyshire, radshape in minworth and a few places over tamworth way.

Whether or not it would be used I'm not sure but would like to see some pics when done, I'm not too far away......

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I am new here but have been hanging around on rccrawling.co.uk for a couple of years.

I am missing rockcrawling comps (2.2 pro style comps rather than scale).

I hope there is some action this year as everything seems to have just died off , there was nothing last year (I had just completed a new built rig and not comped it yet (its now over a year old!) :022:

I used to go to comps at Black Rock (Derbyshire), Curbar Edge (Derbyshire), Tees Barrage (great man made rockery), Brimham Rocks (N. Yorks - amazing rocks could hold a hundred comps there).
Ran a XR10 for couple of year, then had to sell to raise funds. Now I have a partly hand built AX10 shaft driven (sportsman class), that I wanted to run (in all classes).

All forums I am part of seem to have trickled to nothing recently.
I am going to try and drum up some interest on our site (rccrawling.co.uk) for comps.
I will post back here if I hear anything in the coming weeks/months....

It is a shame as the rc crawling scene was pretty popular a couple of years back. Often 20+ competitiors plus others at each comp.

Jealous of the USA and germany where the comp crawling is pretty big.

Hope theres more of us with comp crawlers in the cupboards ready to try some comps this year.

regards

Gavin (aka, GRay111111, aka GFresh on other forums)

Gavin_zps96106513.jpg

Tees Barrage:
Demo1_zps31ddf7e4.jpg

being an ex landscaper and conservationist , i know what its like. 

cost is the main driver , the rock used tends to be expensive and needs more than just manpower

to move it around. you also have to craft by eye, go and view the rocks and piece together the

scene. 

seen the devils hole and likes crawiling spots in the usa, sandstone rock worn away into hollows and the likes.

jagged enged clif faces etc etc. well its all fake'able  to a degree. some stuff needs to be purchased but most can be made on site.

to start use airbricks and soil and your foundation , some chicken wire is going to give you the contours and likes

, your going to mix up some quickcreete ( fast setting concrete) and into that mix yur going to add fibre glass

skuff ( chopped up fibreglass threads), lay this down on your chicken wire and use a brush to smooth it.

throw some sand over to help add grip, but not to much, just a light sprinkle.

once dry, you want a stone color paint, and a little pot of white and black, and some red oxide.

mix up some white and black to get a darkish gray. and keep it aside 

paint your surface with the stone color and let it dry. 

take two stiff brushes , dip on in black and run finger over bristles to flick paint spots over the stone color

do the same with the white and the gray, this adds the speckle.

to get oxide stains water down the paint and let it flow run natural down the rock face.

wash down some clean water so it thins out the paint pigments more

as it drys keep adding extra and later it up

its a trick used in making koi carp ponds, and making faux rock

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Tc, what does that have to do with crawler comps?

Anyhow, hi Gavin.

Sadly the crawler scene has died off and the "scale" side of crawling is steadily growing again no where near like the u.s

Depending on where you are, there are always meets at black rocks, not comps though just a rc get together...

Nice looking rig though mate :good:

Hello Gavin, yeah a few of us go trailing regularly in the Derbyshire peaks on Sundays. See my signature for the link to our GOWTT forum here on MSUK.  We mainly run 2.2 class crawlers, but you're always welcome to join us.

just been to a fairly local park with some great rocks (dont know why I didnt think of this one before whilst scratching my head for places to play/practice!)

Good sized rocks, mostly break overs though, but some smother transitions. Lots of gaps made it tricky transitioning from rock to rock in some palces. But not bad for a half hour or so's practice.
(its been a long while since I got the rig out)

DSC_0601_zpsf38yh7jw.jpg

DSC_0605_zpsskwjkggx.jpg

DSC_0604_zpskoxkikyn.jpg