• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Gazlams KM Baja 5b 002c

Gazlam

Hello all.

I just got myself a KM Baja 5b 002c after selling my Losi 5ive. In my personal opinion I find the Baja to be far more enjoyable for bashing. I swapped out the GT3B for a GT3C to which I had spare and coming from a Futaba 3pm 2.4ghz I just find the 3C to be a much better TX. So happy days.

Here's how she looked yesterday.

1b2ea153d3bcef54fed1ea0d76899555.jpg

I have just spent a day and a half with dot 4 brake fluid removing the stock paint and turning it into my favourite off road colour Kawasaki green :)

Only have the body left to spray and to dye the rear wing black which I'll do tomorrow. Its far from a professional job but it actually came out very nice :)

21eae912e6cdf09fe71adb4d30438fc6.jpg

Will add more pictures tomorrow when the job is complete and then a think on the decals. I was going to spray it black with monster green decals (Too late for that now) So maybe the red monster decals..... If anyone have a better idea to go with the green I'm all ears.

41d6bf57df9393218bc929c52e350fbe.jpg

83e6906dfa0fb8bb2a19d30650449f26.jpg

36e1a4c48e6823bb25a7ee16ec6ba77f.jpg

Edited by Gazlam

Lovin the colour.

Be sure to tape those tyres.... They don't last long otherwise :)

Cheers mate. I was just reading about that taping and gluing the inserts :)

Do I tape the inside of the tyre and glue the inserts to the rim? I'm so confused with that process.

Cheers mate. I was just reading about that taping and gluing the inserts :)

Do I tape the inside of the tyre and glue the inserts to the rim? I'm so confused with that process.

No glue required, that's what beadlocks are for :P

Put a few wraps round of tape (I use duct tape, but you can use other tyres like Gorilla etc...) on the outside of the foams and the insides of the tyres then just put it back together :)

Make sure to tape right to the edges too, otherwise the outsides still want to balloon and that's the part you need held in place so the tyre doesn't rip off.

• Like 1

No glue required, that's what beadlocks are for :P

Put a few wraps round of tape (I use duct tape, but you can use other tyres like Gorilla etc...) on the outside of the foams and the insides of the tyres then just put it back together :)

Make sure to tape right to the edges too, otherwise the outsides still want to balloon and that's the part you need held in place so the tyre doesn't rip off.

Thanks mate. Appreciate that.

I understand about the beadlock/no glue but I just don't understand what is meant by this:

We highly recommend the foam insert be glued to the wheel for added tire and insert life as well as proper handling

Source - http://www.davesmotors.com/hostile-mx-knobby-rear-tire-set-for-5b-hard-compound-.html

Edited by Gazlam

What oho said, 1.5 -2 turns os of duct/gorilla tape to the outer of the foam ant inside of the tyre and they'll be solid,no need for glue.

• Like 1

Thanks mate. Appreciate that.

I understand about the beadlock/no glue but I just don't understand what is meant by this:

We highly recommend the foam insert be glued to the wheel for added tire and insert life as well as proper handling

Source - http://www.davesmotors.com/hostile-mx-knobby-rear-tire-set-for-5b-hard-compound-.html

they are talking about putting glue on the insert to glue it directly to the tire, there is abit of movement between tire and insert, the rubbing over time slowly ripps the tyre to shreds.

stock front foams i had are a good example, when i came to rebuild it i wanted to change the wheels i was using, the front faoms (whcih where not closed cell) had become less like foam and more like small soft bits of gravel.

the effect that has on the tyre isn't noticed over time and its so gradual, but the handling became alot better with foams that could hold their shape better.

they are talking about putting glue on the insert to glue it directly to the tire, there is abit of movement between tire and insert, the rubbing over time slowly ripps the tyre to shreds.

stock front foams i had are a good example, when i came to rebuild it i wanted to change the wheels i was using, the front faoms (whcih where not closed cell) had become less like foam and more like small soft bits of gravel.

the effect that has on the tyre isn't noticed over time and its so gradual, but the handling became alot better with foams that could hold their shape better.

Cheers mate.

I think I'll use the duck tape idea. When I've saved up a bit more I'll do the hostile zero growth inserts and tyres.

Edited by Gazlam

The Hostile MX (in hard or extra hard compound) and zero growth foam combination is definitely a solid set up.

But thus far, I've not blown out a Hostile tyre even without taping the foams, they barely budge without tape and with my 32 lol... I couldn't be bothered faffing around with them so my rears have never been taped yet and after 5 tanks I can't say I've noticed any ballooning to speak of.

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Like 1

Finished up spraying her today (Lilly). I'm quite happy with the turn out.

3a700c1fc2a736470a20660aa2a0947e.jpg

Started putting the car together and it was starting to come along nicely.

b9d9df2434c6847bd558644ba1841d33.jpg

The end result.

add9cc695751ce5fefd2a895a2762a97.jpg

5a91e14584b79dc758c26154d01426e6.jpg

32fb0bc42b391f5741a4ed7bc1978312.jpg

Now I'm thinking of what decals I can use to make her look pretty :) I was thinking these:

6158890c85b3db3d6396202dd3e70588.jpg

Any thoughts on the decals?

Only have the tyres left to tape, then I'm ready for the bash at Perham down tomorrow. I started dying the rear wing, but so far has come out bronze :(

Edited by Gazlam
  • Like 1

Bronze? Lol

You could get some matching bronze decals that say "Adonis"

Then when you take the Baja out for a spin you can say "I'm just going to bash the bronze adonis"

I have no idea what if anything that means lol

Or....

Get some white decals that say "29cc baja"

• Like 1

Bronze? Lol

You could get some matching bronze decals that say "Adonis"

Then when you take the Baja out for a spin you can say "I'm just going to bash the bronze adonis"

I have no idea what if anything that means lol

Or....

Get some white decals that say "29cc baja"

lol. Here is my failed wing.

803b2a6b102bd03ae5f93aa1e32ea461.jpg

• Like 1

Great to see you got one! Loving mine, I look forward to taking it out most weekends, shame I don't have a Perham right near me or it'd get a LOT more use!

I never taped my tyres & they lasted about 6 tanks if I remember, then they exploded, let's hope gorrilla tape can stop that!

I went with the zero growth, silverback beads & hostile hard setup & it's brilliant, I was lucky enough to get mine second hand cos I know it's not a cheap upgrade new!

• Like 1

Great to see you got one! Loving mine, I look forward to taking it out most weekends, shame I don't have a Perham right near me or it'd get a LOT more use!

I never taped my tyres & they lasted about 6 tanks if I remember, then they exploded, let's hope gorrilla tape can stop that!

I went with the zero growth, silverback beads & hostile hard setup & it's brilliant, I was lucky enough to get mine second hand cos I know it's not a cheap upgrade new!

Cheers Jim. There's a bash at Perham Down tomorrow so I'll give the tyres a test, I just finished taping them. I need them to last till after Christmas!

I do not miss the Losi one little bit, I'm very happy with my purchase.

You must come down when you have a gap mate!

Cheers Jim. There's a bash at Perham Down tomorrow so I'll give the tyres a test, I just finished taping them. I need them to last till after Christmas!

I do not miss the Losi one little bit, I'm very happy with my purchase.

You must come down when you have a gap mate!

I will mate, it's brilliant there, I just need to get my place sorted for Xmas, then maybe I'll get some free days! I'll have some time off over Xmas too so I'll be available then.
  • Like 1