• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking for advice traxxas XO1 or recommedations for fast cars

Mits_88

Hi, i am looking to get back into rc cars as i used to love to build and race them a few years ago, i then stopped all together and started playing around with drone like the parrot. However i want to get an electric car thats really fast or can be upgraded to go faster and more then likely something on road. I have been looking at the traxxas xo1 which obviously is very fast and expensive but has anybody actually tried or used one? And is it worth it? I may even ask around a few local model shops to see if they any in store to test.

Thanks

if you are looking into 1/8th on road cars look at the ofna dm1 or gtp2e, very good car and stable at speed, i would put a castle 1515 motor in it along with a hobbywing xerun 150a esc, change the gearing, get some lipo's 4s to 6s and get a pair of grp rubber tires

Yeah tge ofna 100mph cars sound better but the xo1 looks pretty slick it would comd down to cost for me.

in usa that had the xo1 rtr with lipos and everything for like $600 on sale not long ago call it

Avoid the xo1 there's better out there in the 1/8 onroad class like the kyosho inferno gt2 and the hyper gt and the one I've just bought the team c gt8le all three can probably out perform the xo1 with a simple 6s ESC and motor. The xo1 has a longer wheelbase by about 15mm than the three I've mentioned and the only shells that fit are the one you get that's why traxxas do their own scale it's not compatible with the rest of the world it's so they are the only choice for parts and upgrades crafty way of making money out of people

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, i was considering a traxxas slash as it would also be great off road and in Bolton ( next to Manchester) theres alot more off road space. I will look into your recommendations fatboyniel, they all look good however theres still something that keeps drawing me to the XO even though as you said there are negatives to it and there is better out there. I dont want to spend alot of money on one before trying one which is a bummer. P.s the XO price is crazy cant believe im looking to spend that haha

if speed is your thing the xo1 is the only way to go

its a proven platform and it does what it says on the tin!

lots of other cars with extra work and parts will do 100mph it all depends what you want

just remember you need some decent lipos and a charger so by the time you have finished you will be approaching the

Well i have been looking into futher and trying to decide between the XO and Kyosho and then trying to find the best price for them but i think your right sean the XO is really the fastest out there but i think with the kyosho you can also get the benefit of being able to upgrade

There isn't really anywhere that suitable around Bolton for 100mph speed runs unless you plan on using public roads (not advised!).

We are talking speeds way to high to get in say the Reebok car park. Space was short for 60mph with a micro.

If you want speed and live in the area try racing. We've got a track at Goshen park in Bury. We run 1/10th buggys which ok top out between 30 and 40 mph but the acceleration needs to be seen to be believed and is plenty quick for our track.

Check out the action from our aerial cam , rostrum cam or on board.

Linky here for dates - Outdoors is Bury, indoors is Oldham.

I promise we'll fix any need for speed......

Edited by Si Coe

Yeah your right there is not much places in bolton lol however there is a public road behind my house but is more like a back road to businesses and its pretty much dead all the time and is totally empty on a sunday its about 6-700 metres long so i can use that but prob no other place to use. I will consider coming down to bury it sounds good dont know if i will be any good at racing now but always up for it, might pop in to bolton model mart and see what they have

our guys are doing the rossa speed runs on a closed airfiled. you tend to find the runways at least a mile long.

in your 700 meter length you have build up to max rpm, then brake safely to a stop ( not skid with a few doughnut slides )

your going to keep on that throttle to the very last point and even then be way out of your comfort zone.

take the old cars you remember and add 12v and half the weight,

i ran a micro 8000kv powered mini truck, have a round around 200m long.

i Never got to wind it fully open and pinned throttle, i made around 3-4 throttle at max before my 100m was up and i was into heavy braking.

and that was drag brakes to letting the motor wind down the speed. any sign of stepping on the rear to lock it gave me kerbsides at 50mph.

think about your straight run, how much distance will you really need, 700m sounds alot be when you eating up 100m very couple seconds

your run off gets so small you end up in no mans land

Curbs are a bugger, another is setup, if the chassis isn't bang on, it will lose control very easily at high speed, had many 60-70 mph spin outs which will cause major damage to the vehicle, low COG is a must with decent shocks and good tyres. Most people get the fundamentals wrong and have the Clarkson 'POWEEEEER' approach, take the James May approach, get the setup right and you can literally run what power plant you like used in the right way :)

Taken on board everything thats been said so thanks everyone for the advice ive decided im going to get an XO. But im going to use this as a means to go to meetups and maybe some airfields to use the full power i know without unlocking the 100mph feature it can hit 80mph which im sure will be more then enough - Now to get the cheapest price anybody got any advice on the best places to buy from? The cheapest i can find in the uk is

lets be fair, your going to shell out a lot of money going ready to run.

if you crash at 80mph the damage can be fixed but warentys go out the door.

your 500 quid now shoots to 700 once you paid for the new parts etc etc. 

look at the ROSSA thread section, there are guys going with models that cost UNDER 100 gbp

so dont get suckered by false promisses from companys flashy marketing and wording. 

yes the traxxas can do 100mph but in ideal conditions, ie a dry track warm tyres and still air ( we live in uk lol )

the rossa guys, they do there test in all weather, damp tracks rain snow cold sun heatwaves. the key thing is

they built the machine how they want it to run and need it to drive. 

i would look at building your own ton up car from the ground up, your own choice of parts, drive, power and eyecandy needs.

have a look at the rossa threads in the rossa section it will give you ideas how people are going for the 100mph if they made it and how.

you will not see much of the traxxas beast, but more hands on street builds with off the shelf parts thats the key part, its cheaper

until you hit the ton. 

once your close to your mark and you break it everything changes, you know it does x amount of mph but now you want to push it faster.

a few quid on a bigger pinion shoves 12mph on. but you want more so you drop a 6s lipo in and see a huge 24mph raise ( trust me its big numbers for small machines)

your goal is ever expanding and you knowledge of the machine to. what works, what fails, what does not.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

the Xo1 needs 1000ft  straight also it loves to flip over  even before hitting 100mph.   also you can turn a slash into a xo1  lol   as most of it is a slash. 

Edited by turok007

Thanks i hate you Tamiyacowboy you have made me think about it again lol but tbf you do have a point and i prob would love to build one i may even do both, the reason being i just made abit of cash selling some things i had in the house which i have actually never paid for in the first place so was thinking of blowing it on an XO but now i may even build a car- you can actually build an XO to from scratch i think ????

The xo1 has a longer wheelbase by about 15mm than the three I've mentioned and the only shells that fit are the one you get that's why traxxas do their own scale it's not compatible with the rest of the world it's so they are the only choice for parts and upgrades crafty way of making money out of people

Thats bang on actually i never thought of it that way altho ive seen a pretty strange xo1 / savage xl build but yeah it wouldnt be the first thing traxxas has swapped a normally universal part so only they can offer it.

Ther servos have lob sided lugs so a brick is needed.

Ther engines have a funny mount so nothing else fits.

They made the traxxas bead wheels so they wouldn't fit others.

After market companies have to design around traxxas (proline) or design something just for the traxxas (ofna picco)

I bet theres other things too that should usually be interchangeable. The bodys of their version of 1/10 monster trucks have skinny shells too. All little tricks to confuse new comers.

The snidiest one tho i think is taking the hubsan x4 putting it in a traxxas box and charging 75% more. I love my revo and alot of ther cars but i hate they do those things.

Then they release things nobody really wants like the funny car and xo1 in ways. Both have failed ther expectations and now ther cutting ther losses and revisiting old models with a new part to make up the short fall. Thats my opinion anyway after i saw usa sells the funny car and xo1 at 50% off it looked like cutting losses to me.

One new part to sell an old truck would be great if it was putting the picco in place of the traxxas 3.3 engine which is another traxxas throw back. Its the same thing as the 2.5r engine except a new piston - sleeve and cooling head. No wonder they dont last long ther biggest custom base is newbs and they give them a highly modded 2.5 to the point it cant handle its own power. 

Traxxas is a great company they've just had a knock on the head and its grown too big. It's normal for dominating compaines to feel untouchable.

Sony felt it after ps2 success then xbox felt it after 360 they hopfully learned. Maybe vattera will wake these rc executives up. ther stuff looks futuristic now but the name isnt winning awards yet. 

The hyper gt looks like a great car i forgot about that one. To reach 100mph or ish contact bez about getting some high speed gears made he knows a guy 80mph would suit me tho.

I dont hate traxxas tbh i think ther my favourite brand but im not blind to ther bs and hope they wake up lol. i didnt mean to rant sorry. ;$

It does look like that way to me to mate they are a good company they just need to stop thinking they are untouchable - i think the XO is way overpriced however there is still a market for it i.e me but that funny car was a joke. And TmaxxDave i live in great lever near town centre pal