• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What ESC? Any suggestions?

I am needing a waterproof ESC since mudding for the first time the other day with my SCX10 Rubicon and realised what i been missing, however, being a bit of a newbie, i realise i need to chang things, could someone please point me in the right direction regarding the electronics?

I've just had mine fail. The power switch wires are painfully thin - and bad luck with a twig snapped it - I wired it permanently live and only had reverse.

I'm looking at getting either a Traxxas XL 5 esc or the Axial AE-5 esc, both are waterproof, lipo capable. I'm leaning towards the Axial as it's easy to change between lipo an nimh modes aswell as drag brake strength. And at $40-$50 shipped from the states means they're only about

Edited by Pistonhead

traxxas xl5 is the obvious choice.

had 2 mtroniks ones, one went into a hedgerow and the other straight out of the wraith and onto the bay, waste of money in my opinion.

the other thing is getting a small waterproof box and mounting it onto the chassis, i run a tekin fxr that would scream if a drop of water got within a foot of it but in the box sealed up its as happy as larry.

the ae2 esc is a good choice too if you dont mind popping it into a sealed box.

the ultimate apparently is the holmes hobbies brxl but from recent reviews they seem a little hit and miss.

what kind of money are you wanting to spend??

Can't fault my BRXL, I've run 4s on it without any issues and is rated all the way up to 6s. I know another forum member had one recently and had issues with it, BUT that was all down to user error from what I could work out lol

Edited by .AJ.

Hpi 15sc wp :) runs lipo, up to 2s, has drag brake, its waterproof, can run motors down to 15 turns and is dead cheap like less than 30 quid, the etronix one is the same just rebranded, it does have a very high heatsink though so depends how room you have on your chassis, im currently running a rc4wd outcry :) its a cracking esc that can take 4s :) but has no lipo cut off so a buzzer is needed and is not waterproof, you can plastidip any esc though if you want waterproof.

• 2 weeks later...