• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best nice smelling oil?

Oh How Original

I know the quality of the oil comes before the smell, but getting a bit bored of the smell of my Castrol, I'm getting towards the end of the bottle also, so thinking of switching brand or maybe still Castrol but something nicer smelling and better.

Currently just using Racing 2T which has worked fine but fancy trying something new.

Suggestions please? (alot have said A474?)

are you by any chance running out of questions to start a thread with??

i think you should look for one with coffee aroma to smell when you wake up.......

Don't they do a spam scented one?  :xd:

• Like 1

I'd like a better oil though, not jut a nice smelling one lol.

I know this oil runs fine as is, but I know it's not the best stuff to be using, it was just what I had sat here :)

Hahahahah we was only having a banter mate :)

Gets a bit old and irritating, not necessary to post crap in a genuine thread :thumbsup:

Can't seem to post anymore without someone having a dig of some sort.

posted by a mod,  maybe just maybe u'd get the hint ;)

You'd think a Moderator would know better really.

Meant to be setting an example.

Thanks for the suggestion Maz, I've used Stihl before, can't remember the exact one, but I shall keep that in mind! :)

Now if we could get back on the topic, anymore suggestions to look at? :)

i stand corrected to be fair,

its a 100% valid question, pointless but very valid.......

think i might ask the local shell filling station next time i go to see if the do any nicer smelling diesel....  :whistling:

Can you please explain how exactly it's a pointless question to ask about an oil that could be better for my engine?

If you really have THAT big of a problem with me, which you clearly do, why do you bother to read my topics?

*waits for the replies about engines that don't run blah blah blah...*

as a moderator i have to check all content for suitability for the forum young man.

also i know its not my field of expertise but when its there in black and white as a new thread i wouldnt be doing my job if i didnt check it out......

and im reasonably sure you have had enough 5th scale to know which oil is best given your time on the forum and seeing other threads thats been posted.

therefore i stand by what i posted...  :thumbsup:

ill leave now though. :tomato:

• Like 3

as a moderator i have to check all content for suitability for the forum young man.

also i know its not my field of expertise but when its there in black and white as a new thread i wouldnt be doing my job if i didnt check it out......

and im reasonably sure you have had enough 5th scale to know which oil is best given your time on the forum and seeing other threads thats been posted.

therefore i stand by what i posted...  :thumbsup:

ill leave now though. :tomato:

That bit I can accept, BUT, theirs other members of staff on the forum, if I've posted anything against the rules, it would be quickly reported by someone and sorted.

And yes I've had a fair few engines, but apart from the Stihl oil, which I got with another Baja in like tester tubs, I've not run anything other than this Castrol I'm running now.

I've never done a whole lot of research into oils, but recently I've started to after speaking to Ian Harris @ MMR.

Oil isn't really something I've taken a huge amount of interest in, I've just run what was suggested some years ago and that's it, but I feel like trying something new, as I know this oil I run is more moped based, therefore not as good as it could be for these particular engines.

Also, using the search function on this Forum (like most) is absolutely hopeless.

Therefore I feel this post is a VERY valid one, so I can keep easy track of it and come back to it easily whenever I want to.

I see no real reason to post complete crap in it for no actual reason.

Now, back on topic :)

Has anyone used King Cobra race oil?

I've never done a whole lot of research into oils, but recently I've started to after speaking to Ian Harris @ MMR.

i guess this guy knows his 5th scale engines then??

would he not recommend something he would prefer to use maybe??

You answered your own question really when you said

(alot have said A474?)

Theres a reason most LSOR guys run it, It works.

As for smell , If thats what you see as an important part of running large scale Putoline mx5 smells very nice, Ran it in my scooters.

i guess this guy knows his 5th scale engines then??

would he not recommend something he would prefer to use maybe??

Ian Harris owns MMR, so yes lol.

I was speaking to him about a ProMX engine and such, but we didn't really get into oil much, it just reminded me to ask for other opinions.

You answered your own question really when you said

Theres a reason most LSOR guys run it, It works.

As for smell , If thats what you see as an important part of running large scale Putoline mx5 smells very nice, Ran it in my scooters.

I didn't realise they did, I've seen a few suggestions on here before, but again, I wasn't really looking too much into it at that point to be honest.

I'd like something that's not only the best for the engine, but also pleasant.

This stuff I'm currently using is originally meant for moped/scooters as far as I'm aware.

What's that Putoline like in terms of quality?

Its all designed for for scooter/mopeds. We just use it as well.

Only ever ran 747 in my models as thats what i was advised to run by Ian Oddie (Knows a thing or two about 2 stroke engines)

The putoline i ran im my tuned TS1 225 Lamberetta and its smelt very nice and never had any issues with running it.

Reason I want a few suggestions also (should have mentioned this in the first post) is I'm going to buy a few different bottles from suggestions people make and see which I prefer.

Now I know it's not the best idea to switch oils all the time, but if this KM engine goes bang, I'm really not fussed :lol: so willing to risk it :P

• 3 weeks later...

Ian Harris owns MMR, so yes lol.

I was speaking to him about a ProMX engine and such, but we didn't really get into oil much, it just reminded me to ask for other opinions.

I'm pretty sure Julian owns MMR?

I never suggest changing oil, keep to what you start with, i started with TTS, and now use TTS's replacement, think it's T (then a number), does the job ok..