• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is the Ftx vantage ok for racing?....

racerDan20

Hmm - Perhaps not the answer the OP is looking for.

I see he already has a Vantage in which case he wants to know can he use his current car for racing rather than are there better options.

In which case the answer is yes, but there are better options :whistling:

The Vantage is a decent enough chassis as a starting point - it can be made to handle in a nice stable way thats ideal for new racers. It will never be as quick as an XB4 or a 410 but that doesn't matter at first as the driver is more important than the chassis. Just don't spend any money on upgrades etc because you'll want to replace soon.

I have made a few upgrades for the vantage, like a carbon top plate and sus mounts.... Its ok for a casual user and occasional racing, it just has a few ERM weak spots, but overall its not bad,

Edited by racerDan20

The Losi is good - very tough and a big improvement over the first version of the 22.

The 210 is also good but the V2 is not especially cheap. Its a lot better than the original 210 too - but that means buying a cheap V1 isn't a great idea.

Both are good choices - but also consider the Yokomo Bmax2. The Cougar SV2 is not used much anymore with most Schumacher users switching to the KF. The KF is awesome, but its most certainly not beginner friendly.

2wd is where its at for racing in most clubs in the UK. We get 3 to 4 times more 2wds than 4's most meetings. But do check out the local clubs first because some tracks (normally smaller ones) just lump all the buggys together regards of type. If that happens you will want a 4wd.

Vantage is not a bad buggy for racing at all.

did very well with mine with a brushless setup. Was under proper race conditions but was hardly going for gold..

get the setup correct for your local track and nail jumps and it rewards you. 

When you get it wrong the plastics are so bendy that it just flips rolls and bends but doesnt break ...

Depends how serious you want to take it and the rules of your local but i certainly wouldnt say the vantage was no good for racing.

• Like 1

Yeah I know what you mean the plastic on the vantage is quite soft and bendy, were as say the b4.2 buggy's are quite rigid in regards the chassis anyway...

The b4 has been the king of 2wd over the last 10 years and is still a great car so you could use that. I can't see part support being a problem for the next few years due to the amount of them out there.

I'd go and see what the most popular car is at your local track.

Actually since you have a B4.2 already see if you can track down a Centro conversion. These are going cheap now the B5m is out but most of those who've run both reckon the Centro is better on UK astro tracks.

Ill be honest the b4 is a great car, but with the vantage I've it can survive a standard club race that's ok for me, and yeah it does have some weak spots for sure, but I'm practising when I can....