• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How do you test gearing?

norcoforever

having recently built my D8T i did a very gentle test run with a bit of wot and some general driving about since then i proceeded to test it on tarmac by doing hard acceleration and heavy braking (constantly) and motor temps shot through the roof, what is the correct way to test for gearing, is it high speed runs with as little braking as possible or???

No, not really, I do it the way you did it, continuous speed runs with heavy braking.

However, it does depend what you intend doing with the car. I find that when I'm at a meet, and the chasing and racing starts, the best set-up is the one that was proven through the speed run/braking method. If you've Ragged it silly like this, then it shouldn't cook under any circumstances.

However, for actual racing, you can run hotter as the car should only be on the track for five or six minutes.

Dunno if this is helping.

What were the temps?

Job done then. After ten minutes, it's unlikely to climb any higher. I'd go again, but once it reaches 70C, test the motor temp after each run. It should keep a steady temp all the way to LVC.

The ambient temps are dropping off now, so you'll need to be careful next year. Might need to lower the gearing a bit once the temps warm up.

Tekin say you are safe to go up to 180oF which is over 80oC, think you reading to much into all this, end of the day a Truggy is a heavy beast and hard on electrics, my 8ight T used to always run in the low 70s and I wasn't bothered at all