• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Doddy's ST1 Budget Brushless conversion

Hi all

Most will know I have a love for the Thunder Tiger MT4g3 , some might know that the MT4 is based off the old nitro Thunder Tiger ST1 which was released around 2006 as a truggy .. Some will know I'm not a lover of conversion but this one is going to be my first and only exception, well maybe let's see how I go on that one !.

So I have been looking for a winter project but didn't want to spend a lot, I had looked around for a while to find a cheap ST1 roller but they are getting hard to find, so when I saw one on the Modelsport website I jumped at it .. Thing is it was missing a few bits, centre diff and mounts,front diff and bumper .. Never mind I thought I'd get the bits easy enough as there still used for the g3 range .. Well then I spotted a s3 roller on the modelsport site which was super cheap and had the bits I wanted so I jumped at that, but the day after I had a phone call saying sorry I was beaten to it on the web site but they had something else !. After a chat the guy said he'd ring me back, so after about 1/2 an hour the phone goes and the guys says not only can he send me another st1 but he has a conversion kit as well !! .. At this moment I am waiting for the other roller and kit so as soon as there all in I'll get some pics started !!

But before we go into the build I have set a budget, plus I want to do the whole build from only UK sourced parts !! This should add to the fun, in this budget I need the following roller, conversion kit, electrics (ie motor,esc, servo) shell and all the little odd bits and bobs .. So I think I should be able to pull all this together for

• Like 1

Hhmmm...uk sourced parts only.....new ones at that......for 200 squid......cant see it tbh...but I'm watching.......prove us all wrong!!!.....I reckon it'll work out jus over 200 imo......

I hope not as thats all thats in the budget but with a cheeky deal here and there along the way you never know my luck !!.. 

So today roller 2 showed up so pic time it is 

This is roller one 

DSC02547_zps0755225d.jpg

DSC02549_zpsac81b623.jpg

DSC02550_zps4e32a179.jpg

DSC02551_zpsf39d97bd.jpg

DSC02552_zps5cc57521.jpg

DSC02554_zpsac476001.jpg

Looks quite a clean and tidy one but like i said missing a few bits but did you see the servo now thats handy as a quick check says its a 11kg so that will save me getting one for a while and save the budget !!!!!

Now for roller 2 

DSC02555_zps8e01133b.jpg

DSC02556_zps8273acbf.jpg

DSC02557_zpse531355a.jpg

DSC02559_zps675809b7.jpg

DSC02558_zps5eab7fc5.jpg

Now the sad thing is both rollers have no front bumper !!.. so after a quick cheeky call to Modelsport the guy there says he has one he can post out for free!!!!!!!  So thats me sorted 

Now off dismantle clean and inspect, Oh and i might have pulled a deal off on a shell ?? UK sourced and new as per the rules but free !! well sort of more like a trade on the unneeded parts from the build !! But more on that when it comes off

• Like 2

I'll be watching this closely as the ST-1 is one of my favorit cars, it's a total blast for the money & a tank to boot, I love mine & it's constantly surprising me.

I'll be interested in how you sort the motor mount, I have a MTA G3 one here I was going to try to fit when the engine finally gives in.

Good luck with the build.

I'll be watching this closely as the ST-1 is one of my favorit cars, it's a total blast for the money & a tank to boot, I love mine & it's constantly surprising me.

I'll be interested in how you sort the motor mount, I have a MTA G3 one here I was going to try to fit when the engine finally gives in.

Good luck with the build.

Thanks fella  :thumbsup:

The motor mount, i thought about the g3 mount but to be honest the way that it would mount would not make a nice layout IMO.. So instead i went for one of these 

DSC02576_zpseb617b54.jpg

Simple but effective 

So this is what they look like stripped in bits and in need of a good clean

DSC02566_zps1f7fd58c.jpg

DSC02570_zps93f7bbeb.jpg

DSC02569_zpsd9b13783.jpg

DSC02568_zps291b52b2.jpg

DSC02571_zpsaca2446a.jpg

DSC02572_zps8f27655f.jpg

So after a good soak overnight, plenty of fairy up liquid and a good old toothbrush this is what you get 

DSC02586_zps6b2748ed.jpg

DSC02585_zps16d0a5f3.jpg

DSC02584_zps01da4e50.jpg

DSC02583_zps750252ae.jpg

The cvd's where a little tricky at first to strip, but a little heat from the mini blow torch and a little gentle persuasion and they soon came apart.. Being rather rusty i gave them a good clean with the dremel and a wire brush attachment.. I then rubbed in some 3 in one oil and gently added some heat, now they look like new !! .. Bearings are pretty much packed with dirt and grease but are soaking as i type so with some love i should be able to bring enough back to life for what i need, just a good job they are all rubber sealed :thumbsup:

Next up rebuild these diffs 

Edited by mydoddy69
  • Like 2

All this ST-1 talk made me get mine from the shed an take it for a bash, started straight away as usual, pulled really well, makes me smile, such a basic cheap car yet fast & tough as hell.

So I take it you didn't see my question about nitro?

Would you build two? One BL one nitro?

All this ST-1 talk made me get mine from the shed an take it for a bash, started straight away as usual, pulled really well, makes me smile, such a basic cheap car yet fast & tough as hell.

So I take it you didn't see my question about nitro?

Would you build two? One BL one nitro?

Sorry fella i did but i just forgot to answer it sorry 

Nitro is not really my thing had a few over the years but just prefer the ease and power of Brushless !!..

Truggy is finished, well i say finished its in need of a few bits to get it completed but the roller is all built up i'll get some pics up later when i get home !!!!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

So i said here are the next load of pics 

Front end built 

DSC02588_zps3a154e4c.jpg

Rear end built 

DSC02589_zps5dbd781d.jpg

Then came the middle and the little extra's 

DSC02593_zps05f2d4af.jpg

DSC02594_zps6122209d.jpg

DSC02595_zps9acf0aac.jpg

DSC02596_zps5b2694d2.jpg

DSC02597_zps5c66977f.jpg

DSC02599_zps20e8cc5f.jpg

Now to get the esc tray at the rear i used the bracket in the kit, but just re drilled and tapped new holes in it to line up with the holes in the chassis for where i wanted the battery tray to sit not where the kit intended !!. 

DSC02598_zps837322e2.jpg

Few bits still to do but its getting there  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Correct on both accounts

The rx box is one from a hyper ss and the esc mount is from the trophy range but it's also used in the vorza.. Both i had sitting around doing nothing so thought why not put them to use !!!..  

So far i'm in like this 

Roller

Edited by mydoddy69

What's wrong with the shell from the first car? Or you want no holes?

Can't run that it has holes for those nasty nitro bits !! plus a few cracks in it but its still useable   :yes: .. I got a radio box, exhaust and brake disc, servo top plate and a couple of fuel tanks all of which are no use to me.. If you want them you're more than welcome to them just cover postage  :thumbsup:

Not got enough to make a nitro roller then? That'd certainly bump the budget!

I got enough to make half a roller just minus center and front diff, but to be honest i don't want to sell them as there my spares should anything break on the MT4 or this !!  :thumbsup: