• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

servo linkage setup/ steering twitching

allbluedave

hey guy,s.  :) ok so my ts4n is giving a few head aches at the minute. im currently building another ts4n and stupidly i robbed the servos/radio gear off my fully built one........ when ive swapped it back over the steering servo is twitching  so it wont go in a straight line and i cant get the throttle servo set up right.  :angry: i can get it to start up fine but the revs are a little high but once its running and i engage the brake its shuts the gap in the carb right up and the engine borks out.any ideas guys.? if it aint broke dont fix it  :rolleyes: anybody thats got a ts4n id be grateful for pictures of how the throttle servo is set up. cheers guys  :D

For the second bit..

The idle screw on the carb. should always control how far the throttle can close. The screw is wound out too far and the throttle linkage is adjusted incorrectly....whip the air filter off and look at the gap....turn the electrics on and watch what happens when throttle/brake...when you brake the gap should not alter...usually 1mm is a good starting point for the gap (you can always advance throttle trim on TX to aid starting if needed).

Hey guys. Just a thought but can the crystals in the car and transmitter wear out causing the twitching? Also could the fact I'm using non rechargeable batteries have anything to do with it.

Electronics are not my bag...but...

Yes the crystals can stop the system working...not wear out...but stop working. In my experience this is not common but possible...I do not think the crystals could make the steering servo twitch because they are worn/old/etc.

The crystals determine the frequency band of the signal required to operate the servo....if there is something else giving out that frequency then that could cause interference...would be unusual for only one servo to twitch.

It could be (for all I know) because of low power...or maybe a bad connection...or maybe there is a problem with the actual servo or receiver.....it sounds like you have other parts that you could swap around in order to trace the fault?

Edited by Anthoop
  • Like 1

Yeah I've got plenty of spares including spare servos for steering and throttle but the gog on the top is a different size so cant fit them just yet. The throttle servo starts to twitch then starts the steering one off much worse making the car impossible to go in a straight line. Sometimes the throttle opens full whack and I cant shut it off. Even with a fail safe fitted. I thought maybe the fail safe is screwed? Not up.on the electrics side of nitro cars yet but I'm enjoying learning about em lol.i did pull the car apart and found id nipped the wires between the chassis exposing the wire on the servo. Wonder if I've shorted something out? Receiver maybe? Would the chassis be classed as an earth point? Think I,ll take the fail safe out and see what that does.

Bare wires are of course not good and potentially will cause problems. If you have fixed the wires but the problem still persists then maybe the receiver is damaged?

You do not have to fit the servos to trace the fault...just plug them into the receiver and turn the electrics on....if you plug in two different servos and they still twitch then you have ruled them out.

I would not recommend using it until you fix the problem...runaways are never fun.  :deadtongue:

Probably doubtful to be the failsafe but removing it whilst you find the fault is a good idea.