• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FeedTheInferno's Nissan Skyline R33 GTR project

Feedtheinferno

There things that need doing.

The suspension strut tops are a particularly bad design from factory. Two plates of metal spot welded together around the edges, over time water gets between the plates and creates a terrible amount of rust. So normally the strut tops needs to be completely cut out and replaced. That is the first job.

The engine bay could do with a tidy in regards to cleaning and painting as the intake plenum and engine cover is a little tatty.

It currently has 403BHP which will be enough until I have sorted any other bits of rust on the car. The interior is good but I will be buying LED's to replace the standard bulbs on the dashboard.

The wheels are going to get a re-furb and paint as I don't like the Gold on purple. I am thinking more a gunmetal look.

I see it has the obligatory, wide exhaust into which a baby's head could be fitted ;)

They all need it, rather than on a Corsa where the exhaust serves no purpose. The larger bore is required if you want to get into the higher BHP.

Although that one is a little tatty and low down for my liking. It won't be staying too long :)

Very nice mate, I'm sure when you have finished doing what you want to it, it will be worth a lot more than you got it for.

Have you seen how much the R34's go for!  :shockingscary:

So hopefully these will only ever appreciate if kept right.

I am jealous you have this as a 'toy' lol

Agreed. I actually like the gold wheels, I think they go quite well with the purple. It's certainly a lot more interesting than the grey/silver/black of almost every car on the road (including mine, I'm ashamed to say)!

My A6 is "storm" grey so there is nothing wrong with having a grey car bud and definitely nothing to be ashamed of. 

As a car fanatic, I find every car interesting and every colour fun.

But the mixture of gold/purple for me is just a little too......Subaru and that's not the right association I want to have with a GTR :)

Compression testing done and all 6 valves are running at over 150PSI (mainly 170 but for the sake of averages)

The gold wheels are actually growing on me now the car has been cleaned properly. After a going over here is my list of priority:-

Get the rust on the strut tops sorted

Replace a perished rear window seal

There's a creaking coming from the front left suspension, could just be bushes. Need to check it out.

Also I didn't get a chance to clean any of the interior so that will be on the list next. Otherwise, brilliant :)

Here are the Artsy Fartsy photo's I promised.

9qNYBoe.jpguBb8myh.jpgF28VZDP.jpgECBW8i5.jpg

• Like 2

Midnight purple THE best colour on a skyline ;) has it had the HICAS (Think thats what its called) removed on the rear end? If not id look into getting that removed as it transforms the handling! Used to mess with these and the gtst's all the time with a few of the local lads who ran cars in the jdm allstars series and the bdc. My mate used to run an import company and sold a few of the gtr's We had a gtst running a camero ls3 motor and a gtr pickup truck as a "shop truck" ;)

Midnight purple THE best colour on a skyline ;) has it had the HICAS (Think thats what its called) removed on the rear end? If not id look into getting that removed as it transforms the handling! Used to mess with these and the gtst's all the time with a few of the local lads who ran cars in the jdm allstars series and the bdc. My mate used to run an import company and sold a few of the gtr's We had a gtst running a camero ls3 motor and a gtr pickup truck as a "shop truck" ;)

It is I was very very lucky to get this for the price I did, its freaking amazing.

The car is completely unmolested bar the exhaust and wheels so it's all stock right now. The aim is to get it back to the perfect condition it should be in before removing or adding bits. The previous owner had left it in a barn on a farm most of the time so it needs some TLC.

These go well with big power, if you intend on tuning you will lose reliability no matter what anyone says.

A friend of mine has an R32. It is/was putting down 580bhp atw still running twins until recently when it wrecked the crank. It was built by a very reputable gtr tuner after around 8000 miles from a fully forged rebuild.

On the plus side, it had so much torque it would spin the front wheels from 3000rpm in 3rd on a bone dry road!lol

Another old friend bought an imported R33 with a proven 900bhp. It lasted a month. It had to be driven to be believed though! Savage was an understatement!

Keep it sensible and you will have alot of fun with the car. Have you had every corsa/saxo trying to race you? If you havent, you will!lol

Good luck with it mate!

These go well with big power, if you intend on tuning you will lose reliability no matter what anyone says.

A friend of mine has an R32. It is/was putting down 580bhp atw still running twins until recently when it wrecked the crank. It was built by a very reputable gtr tuner after around 8000 miles from a fully forged rebuild.

On the plus side, it had so much torque it would spin the front wheels from 3000rpm in 3rd on a bone dry road!lol

Another old friend bought an imported R33 with a proven 900bhp. It lasted a month. It had to be driven to be believed though! Savage was an understatement!

Keep it sensible and you will have alot of fun with the car. Have you had every corsa/saxo trying to race you? If you havent, you will!lol

Good luck with it mate!

Thanks dude, all of my money is going to do into just keeping the power around the 500Bhp mark whilst keeping it reliable and very much drivable around town and in traffic.

The previous owner has put a exedy sports clutch in and unless you give it the beans around 4krpm, it grinds and slips. It needs to be changed out as I am embarrassed in traffic shooting forward every time everyone else inches forward slowly.  

To answer your question on cars trying to race me. Yes I have had it 3 days and had every car that has a big exhaust and/or slightly larger engine try and speed off from me. Not going to race anyone in the Skyline. I have nothing to prove, if they want to shoot off and waste all of their fuel I will let them, it made my laugh every time it's happened so far :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So a little update. The car is now off the road for the winter as the salt will just eat away at it. I don't have a garage so leaving it out in the rain is actually find as long as the car is waxed every month and get's plenty of ventilation which it does do. Putting a car under a cover is the worst thing that you can do to protect a car :)

In regards to what has been done so far. Not much just plenty of ordering and tidying up. I have ordered 4 litres of Redline Lightweight Shockproof gearbox oil so I can replace that rubbish that will already be in there and hopefully fit the stiff gear-change.

Next up is the key that came with the car isn't original and frankly that isn't good enough it looks like a house key! So I have ordered a blank genuine GTR key from Nissan in the states as it was the cheapest at $49.

$_57.JPG