• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hole in my exhaust?

muscleflex

Hi all,

I have added a tuned exhaust from my HPI Evo 3 onto my TA Mini MGT 3.0.

It works fine... but a couple of months ago, when I decided to run it again.. I found it very hard to prime the engine. The fuel just wasn't moving to the engine even when I yank the pull start and pinch the exchaust rubber tip.

I noticed that there's a hole in the bottom of the exhaust. I'm thinking this is where a screw used to be (but I'm not 100% sure) and this is probably why even when I pinch the rubber tip of my exhaust for priming, it doesn't work because of this hole.

Is this hole supposed to be there or should I put a screw back to cover it? Apologies I have no photo. I just remembered to ask about it now when I'm at work and the truck is at home.

Thanks

Edited by muscleflex

Hi all,

I have added a tuned exhaust from my HPI Evo 3 onto my TA Mini MGT 3.0.

It works fine... but a couple of months ago, when I decided to run it again.. I found it very hard to prime the engine. The fuel just wasn't moving to the engine even when I yank the pull start and pinch the exchaust rubber tip.

I noticed that there's a hole in the bottom of the exhaust. I'm thinking this is where a screw used to be (but I'm not 100% sure) and this is probably why even when I pinch the rubber tip of my exhaust for priming, it doesn't work because of this hole.

Is this hole supposed to be there or should I put a screw back to cover it? Apologies I have no photo. I just remembered to ask about it now when I'm at work and the truck is at home.

Thanks

cover it and if it starts ok...put sumin in it.job done!!

Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

the hole you mention sounds like a drain plug , and yes its important. 

when running your engine , it is not as efficent in burning the mix like a propper engine,

so small amounts of unburnt fuel and oil can collect in the exhaust.

you may notice this when the car is running and the little spittle marks left where the car was sitting running.

this is a Natural thing, it comes with the nitro engines of today and yesteryears.

to combat this unburnt fuel and it leaking when car has been stopped, companys

making tuned exhuasts have been known to add small drain holes with a screw to

allow drainage. 

you have lost the screw, what happens now is there are two exits to the exhaust and your venting

the back pressure created and used to prime and force fuel into the carb. re-seat a screw of the correct size

into the drain hole and you should find your engine now acts correctly.

USE a very tiny dab of threadlock on the screw to keep it in place and so you have less chance it working loose and being lost again.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi - thank you for the post above. I did not see it back in Oct.

Anyhow, I still have not done anything to the truck. too busy with other things and flying.

Anyway, here's some photos.. can any of you confirm if this is definitely the 'drain plug'? I tried spare screws at home but they're all too small for this hole so I will have to look for a bigger one here at work.

IMG_31181_zps506414a7.jpg

IMG_31191_zps400480ed.jpg

IMG_31201_zps83e969bb.jpg