• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maz's KM Baja 002A build thread (Petrol/largescale beginner) **Nearly finished!**

MAZ

I've never owner a large scale before, I really wanted a long term winter project, saw a member on here mention about selling their baja, thought I'd throw them a pm...

One thing led to another and....

...this was at home waiting for me :)

Like I said, it's from a member on here and cost

Edited by MAZ
  • Like 1

the kick up is bent, that orange plate should be flat.

i personally run the innovative rc set up, top plate, enclosed chassis, and under chassis brace along with an rpm bumper

consider upgrading the shock supports and steering turnbuckles as they snap and bend respectively

other parts to consider looking at and upgrading are:

front axles/wheel hex

clutch carrier

rear bumper (or lack of)

engine side mounts

thing you should consider doing/buying

roll cage mod

fan brace

wheels and beadlocks (stock flex far too much)

rear engine mount

• Like 1

Rough as a badger's backside!

Time to get spannering, strip the entire buggy down and rebuild.

The rpm rear skid plate and associated bits are bob on, TR shock braces are a must, along with the 'to do' list we've spoken about ;)

• Like 1

You guys rock :D

I'm slightly annoyed though - the guy I got it from didn't say anything about the front end being a bit spanked up :/

There again, I think I got a good price for it

Anyone got a spare chassis they wanna sell lol

Morning guys, I think tonight I'll mostly be taking the front end off and starting from there Strip it, clean it, bend the chassis back into shape and if funds allow - buy the i-rc chassis brace.

I didn't realise how heavy these rc's were!

They're even heavier when they hit you! lol

Don't think its been mentioned but one of the upgrades I'd suggest is a shredstack and outerwears for the air filter. A shredstack is about

Edited by MAZ

Got the front end off...

IMG_20141022_233440_zpsrg8q6hf5.jpg

I'm so unfamiliar with this that I'm feeling ever so slightly overwhelmed lol

A paper manual would come in handy right now (a PDF file just isn't doing it for me lol)

By 'eck, that has seen some abuse. Beyond straightening out IMO, I'd get on the Innovative site and start ordering ;)

Plastics looking ok?

I think so - when I've stripped the front down I'm gonna stick the plastics in the dishwasher :)

Gonna order the bolts to replace those darn e-clips. Thing is, it comes to nearly

would look at an after market top plate if it was me but the other bits sound good.

also, take a good look at the plactic brace the the front of that top plate bolts to, when my stock chassis finally gave in that bit for twisted and broken aswell, and the bulkhead support snapped in 3 places.

Same thing happened to mine when the 2yr old grabbed the remote and slammed it full tilt into metal railings :( I do have a spare chassis i bought from asiatees. Its orange (as was going to go down that route) but took so long to arrive i ended buying an Innovative chassis instead

Personally, I would spend the extra for the innovative top plate Maz, 13quid for a stock KM part feels pricey.

IRC hinge pins aren't silly money are they? Tbh, I'd buy a set rather than buying bolts...

Personally, I would spend the extra for the innovative top plate Maz, 13quid for a stock KM part feels pricey.IRC hinge pins aren't silly money are they? Tbh, I'd buy a set rather than buying bolts...

The stock upper plate is this one http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/front-upper-plate-orange-87440.html

And the one I've been offered is this one

http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/alloy-front-upper-plate-silver-161.html

Ideally I'd love to buy all the right (decent) parts straight away but I can't yet :/

I'll go with what works, get the Baja up and running (this is gonna be a looonnng project I reckon) and upgrade slowly

...very slowly

;)

Edited by MAZ

Aswell as the lower kickup support I also run a uber front bumper which runs all the way down to just infront of the steering servo so adds a bit more protection to the front kick up.

Saying that it didnt help so much when i set the radio gear up arong, lost signal and hit a wall at near enough full pelt and destroyed my irc chasis and snapped the irc top barce in half!!! Good old rob at irc offers lifetime warrenty tho so they were replaced foc. Imo its worth spending the little bit extra on ANY irc parts as the warrenty and customer service just cant be beaten ;)