• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone made their own brake pads?

XxSWAINY96xX

took my old Ansmann terrier apart to lock up the center diff. thought i might aswell check the pads.. so yeah there knackerd! im in to making stuff myself instead of paying for my car which i use on ocastions. id rather make it with something else. anyone know what i could use?

Edited by XxSWAINY96xX

Sandpaper will be quite thin I do agree there maybe build it up. Issue I would have is if it gets too hot it will smoke. Maybe cloth. Leather might work aswell but same again if it gets too got will it melt in which case sandpaper would be better as it won't leave sticky residue behind.

i got the metal left from the old pads and the disc is just vented metal ones

might use sand paper but seems abit too thin, i was thinking of using leather?

Why not just get an old full size car brake pad/shoe/clutch and with a bit of work...and some good glue...voila! :)

Edited by Anthoop

i did try that but it didnt turn  out to well. it was hard to get the stuff off the pads but i did. but u think where i went wrong is using rubbish glue! should of used epoxy or something

Yes, if you did all the hard work by cutting and shaping a bit of braking material then the gluing is the easy bit...but using the wrong glue or not gluing correctly will ruin all that hard work. :)

using sandpaper/emery cloth your going to get brake fade over time,

and one day your gonna stamp on the brake and nothing happens at all

each time you brake you scour off a thin layer off metal from the disc and dont forget the fine grit the sandpaper made.

all this gets gunked into your center diff and bearings ( brake dust ) and inturn wears away these parts to.

replace the brake shoes, and maybe buy a new vented disc carbon or metal. replacing both

means you have the max braking built into the car. most people will replace pads for ages, then find the

brakes dont work as well etc etc, in the end the disc is so worn its useless and rattles about.

trying to make your own is kind a hit and miss, you gotta skin a pad, cutting horizontal then vertigal lines to give you a slate like

pad / pamlet , then you have to craft this with a dremel and a fine grinding stone, to shape.

gluing this item is the hardest, aint no job for superglue and likes, you need a full on industrial two part contact adhesive.

and i would also be making up a small micro clamp system to get pressure onto that bonding surface.

after a couple weeks the adhesive should have hardened all the way through fully and cured up.

rough up the pad surface a very tiny amount and re-install. you MUST let this glue set, in the factorys, they would bake this to help the chemical reaction