• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Man held over drone flight at Manchester City stadium

Nick

I found this interesting, cleans up a few questions on flying in public areas.

A man has been arrested after a drone was flown over Manchester City's home game with Tottenham Hotspur.

He added: "People may see this as a minor offence but it is a breach of the Air Navigation Order, which is prosecuted by the Civil Aviation Authority."

Source Linky:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-29689360

The problem is like so many things the few irresponsible people will end up ruining it for the rest of us. As said on another forum it's the fact rtf is so easily accessible without any nod to the rules involved

Was sky pressing charges over tv rights?

Seriously though, as madmini said it's fools like this that will ruin the hobby for others. All the rules should be provided and stuff at point of sale but it's still up the the customer to read them.

• Like 1

"Even small drones can weigh up to seven or eight kilograms and could cause damage or injury if they fall from height. Thankfully, no-one was hurt."

this reporter seems misinformed my fully loaded 680 hex weighs less than 2.5kg so god knows what small means especially when the quadcopter in question was a tiny phantom

its unfortunate that idiots like this have to ruin it for the rest of us, still sure they could hurt someone if they fell out of the sky but so could a runaway baja i think people over react when the word drone comes up, it makes them sound sinister.

multirotors are becoming mainstream these days and that is just something the world and the caa will have to deal with they cant possibly hope to regulate the entire community of plots out there

• 2 weeks later...

Rules should be provided to each customer who buys an aircraft, recently in the last few weeks quads have been on the new and in papers that they could be used to drop bombs used by terrorist, maybe its true maybe it's not, looks like the Media don't want people to have fun, I can see them getting banned soon.

Course it's true one could carry c4 brick with a channel to send spark. 5mile range you'd have no chance catching them.

The mark walhberg film shooter with the rc sniper rifle too, mayb someone could mod a rifle to one and assinate anyone. Itd only need to be the barrel and receiver would need to be a steady quad tho or land silenty with servos to move the barrel and the best fpv.

Ariel rc will undoubtedly be a terror weapon aid soon. The popular white one ar drone is it and go pro are already being used by isis the same way our guys use propper uav drones. Its not fair our lads are being matched for pennies really. Especially when this new cheap micro thermal cam comes out for mobile phones.

Still its not right to call hobbists terrorists and treat them like such.

It started with a guy catching us govt officials committing crimes against animals on a gun range. After that a bill got passed. scared the reporters will get more serious footage i think.