• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya ..... time to try one

Nitroholic

Having given it much thought, I think it's about time I actually built myself a Tamiya. I have never done so...and I think I ought to.

But which one....

I have already pre-warned the wife it's what she is going to be buying me for Christmas, and hte budget for the kit will be around

I built my 1st Tamiya (Grasshopper) a couple of weeks ago... more straightforward than I thought.

Only ever 'built' a Kyosho Sandmaster nitro, but from memory, it was 50% built out of the box.

Something theraputic about building kits!

yup...that's what I want for Christmas afternoon :)

No point in buying an offroader, as I would just compare it to what I have already, and it won;t measure up.

All I really need to know is which setup would cope with brushless best ... and what shell options there are. I want it to be able to look as good as possible since it won;t be covered in mud and dirt :)

The SLS Merc looks nice .... would look even nicer with light buckets and LEDs fitted :) Really not sure about that Capri though. Too much bodykit, not enough Capri shape!

Not as nice looking as the Renault Alpine though.

If tyres are the only worry on a brushless M06/M05 build, then that's no worry really.

If you are running on the road then maybe consider a TB04 Pro II chassis. I just maidened mine and it's really nice - steering is so direct compared to all my off road stuff and my 1:8 drift car, plus the plastic tub will keep stones out. Cost 120 quid from dinball at rcmart.com and he did me a solid on the customs bill.

If you are running on the road then maybe consider a TB04 Pro II chassis. I just maidened mine and it's really nice - steering is so direct compared to all my off road stuff and my 1:8 drift car, plus the plastic tub will keep stones out. Cost 120 quid from dinball at rcmart.com and he did me a solid on the customs bill.

Nice looking car ... out of my price range.

IS OP able to add to the funds a small amount, say like extra 50 quid ?. 

lets be honest you been around a while so have had plenty of cars n tinkering.

the entry cars by tamiya are ok for jumping in the hobby with, BUT a well trodden basher/racer

is going to be let down buy the kits build. 

simple terms, the kits are simple, they offer very little in way of setup hence the " brushless eats tamiya tyres "

its just the chassis really is not ideal for brushless, more brushed entry level racing.

Now there is a range that will drive a dream on a brushless system and handle it well, will have huge setup adjustment

and run like its on rails, they are the Tamiya TRF series race chassis.

Now i would look for maybe a second hand TRF TA05, mid mount and sure be belt driven to pro spec racing.

its a little extra but a full stripdown and re-build will have you itching to hit the tarmac.

this is where you will see what real tamiya is and not the watered down version like the tt - tl and likes models. 

here is a TA-03 TRF doing a 90mph speed run on 3s and a velion brushless system. boy they are swift.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Settle on what shell/shells inspire you most, buy the appropriate chassis and have fun!

Easy to build, fun to build (it's a kit, nowt more needs saying) and fun to own and drive. A 2s set up is plenty, IMO, and if you're not grinning like a small child after bashing it, there's summat up wi' thee! ;)

You know what you really want .... a Clod!!

Seriously, a Pumpkin - normal or low, or Lunchbox will be great fun.

Might snow, so a bit of ground clearance can't be bad.

If you can find an old 306Maxi at a fair price, they're great!!

Al.

A Lunchbox or a Pumpkin are indeed a kind of a rite of passage. I loved building my Lunchbox, and you do really appreciate Tamiya's attention to detail, even on their low-end kits.

The LB is mad to drive, in fact unless you do the "third shock mod" it won't really handle at all, but it is a bit of a blast. Bear in mind that even if you have leftover or spare electrics to pop in it, you need paint and stuff to finish the model and it does add a few quid - I would always get bearings to replace the bushings as a matter of course.

I've always used Time Tunnel Models to source my Tamiya stuff in the past - keen prices, fast shipping and been impressed with the service.

You did say on-road though. I am tempted to get myself the Mini as well - I'd favour the M05. Really, I think the M05 with the Mini shell. This can be had for

My first kit was the m05 mini and I loved the build. Also built a pumpkin which is now for sale as it never gets used lol but they really are a joy to build. In fact better to build than to drive

No interest for me driving a Lunchbox or Pumpkin ... if it snows, I'll be breaking out the shorty Baja with it's FG monster wheels. Or the Madforce..... or the Savage Twinzilla ....

I'm kind of leaning towards the M06 with the Alpine shell .... though I do like the AMG Merc as well.

Can you fit square LiPos in an M05? The TT02 and M06 run a central battery tray, which is not problem.

Also....do Tamiya include the bits to build an M06 in all lengths, or just the one that the kit dictates?

Can you get light buckets for the Alpine?

Incidentally....I do quite like Clods....though new prices are silly as I would want to mod the hell out of it. I'd buy the axles and build the rest myself. Maybe one day...but not this time around for sure.

Thing is, I've had the FF03 and it was fast but handling was a major problem, went through so many tyres to find the perfect tread and being front wheel drive,you will have to replace the fronts quite a lot as I know you are heavy with your trigger finger. I'd still go with the 4WD TT02 and get the mod parts I put in my reply earlier, might be a beginner chassis but its tough and goes well once you tune it,loved my TT01 which I also used as a Rally a few times. Spares are plentiful and Asia Tees do a lot of ally hop ups for the TT02 then if you get bored you can convert it to the Buggy chassis with minimal effort :)