• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I've narrowed it down to three

webstert

Hi, 

I'm looking to buy my son an RC car for Christmas, it'll be the first RC car that we've owned other than toy grade cars that were presents bought from Tesco.

Thus far for my budget I've narrowed it down to three.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/109079/

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/86184/

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/109872/

Just looking for some advice on what you guys think is best. We'd likely be using it in a big grassy park or maybe an astro footy pitch until we are able to drive it ten feet without rolling it.

Also if there are any other suggestions feel free. Basically looking for something that's fun, robust and fairly low maintenance as its our first semi decent car.

Thanks

Hi, 

I'm looking to buy my son an RC car for Christmas, it'll be the first RC car that we've owned other than toy grade cars that were presents bought from Tesco.

Thus far for my budget I've narrowed it down to three.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/109079/

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/86184/

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/109872/

Just looking for some advice on what you guys think is best. We'd likely be using it in a big grassy park or maybe an astro footy pitch until we are able to drive it ten feet without rolling it.

Also if there are any other suggestions feel free. Basically looking for something that's fun, robust and fairly low maintenance as its our first semi decent car.

Thanks

Was asking in a local model shop if they stocked many Firestorm spares... "Not really, because they're pretty robust and reliable".

Says it all, really! I went for the Flux version, which I see has now had a new 2014 version!

Beyond your budget but, having done this all a couple of years ago... my advice is to "Buy right 1st time".

• Like 1

I'd love to go for the flux, but given the "boy" got an xbox for his birthday a few months ago, I'm not sure the Mrs will go for it :)

lol...fair nuff.....most kids dont realise how well off they r nowadays!!!mines keeping on for a ps4!!! Edited by evssv

It will depend on what you ultimately expect to be doing with it.

On an astro pitch the Vantage and Strada will be a lot faster than the brushed Firestorm, plus they will turn tighter. They aren't as strong, but there is nothing much to hit except yourselves so thats not an issue.

On grass it will depend on the conditions. The two buggys are a lot lower than the truck to the ground and can get bogged down in long grass. However the Firestorm is 2wd and may struggle for grip on damp/wet grass.

If you think once he's mastered the controls he'll want to be doing stunts at the skate park, or hacking trails in the woods get the Firestorm. The brushed version is a little boring in a flat field but even without brushless power its a massive laugh over jumps.

If however you figure sooner or later he's going to want to hit the track and race get the Vantage. It makes a great beginners racing car.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Strada. Its a reasonable enough car but the Vantage is better and not a lot more.

I can't seem to get the links to work but I think I can see enough to chime in with brushed Firestorm/Stampede for these general kind of requirements.

I agree it would be great if the Pede could just be bought as a kit, but that's not Traxxas, but what both these vehicles do, especially with youngsters, is allow a lot of potential for upgrade as they get more competent whilst being pretty tough already out of the box. They don't hurt the wallet too much initially either, just in case they lose interest.

Edited by pritch

The EXC looks nice and I will put it on my list of may he's but I am manly after a kit not one with any radio gear in. I already have a fairly good TX unit (Spektrum DX6i- I don't like the TX's with steering wheels, If I have to buy a motor and a ESC its not a prob, I have several 540's and a couple of brushless and ESC's for em in my boat bits box so I can make do while I save the dosh for better ones.

Do like that truck though

Tbough now I have had a few bottles of beer while trawling the forums, shops, and eBay I am mighty tempted by Tamiya.

Either the uncontrolable giggle machine that is the Lunch Box or a CC-01 chassis (love the Unimog). On the lunch box's side it is cheap and my nephew would enjoy it as a hand me down while the CC-01 chassis does not look as trashable. I know I can pick up a Lunchbox cheap which would keep the brownie points up with the wife for when I do spend some serious dosh on the hobby

Tbough now I have had a few bottles of beer while trawling the forums, shops, and eBay I am mighty tempted by Tamiya.

Either the uncontrolable giggle machine that is the Lunch Box or a CC-01 chassis (love the Unimog). On the lunch box's side it is cheap and my nephew would enjoy it as a hand me down while the CC-01 chassis does not look as trashable. I know I can pick up a Lunchbox cheap which would keep the brownie points up with the wife for when I do spend some serious dosh on the hobby

Internet shopping is never a good idea after a few jars :D

As long as he's not going racing anytime soon, I'd go with an ECX Ruckus Brushless version. Near enough bullet proof and a right giggle too. Comes with Spectrum dx3 , waterproof tazer esc and a 3300kv 4 pole tazer motor, and a 7 cell nimh pack, all for

I got a carnage (the 4wd truggy vantage) is a bit slower but pretty robust and when something breaks parts a cheap (I have upgraded to brushless and slammed into a wooden gate ruined one suspension arm, cvd and pin) was able to but the whole front end for

I have narrowed it down to Either the Ecx Ruckus from MS or I could support my local shop and get either

a Maverick Strada (probably the truggy) or a E Firestorm 10t. I I can push the budget a bit I could get the Blitz With scorpion body.

I know the two proper HPI's are 2wd but that's what I was used to and would allow me some cash to buy the rest of the junk you need to go bashing.

Also the local shop is only 10 minutes walk away so easy for spares

The torment / ruckus is amazing value, great spec and very robust (2wd more so than the 4wd version). No racer - fair amount of flex etc, but this makes it an ideal basher. These things really can soak up some abuse. We regularly do 5ft + jumps with them (with associated bad landings) and they just keep on going.

BUT... parts availabilty is pretty poor, horizon hobby just don't seem to be able to sort out supply, at least consistently. I've had to cancel bits I've had on order from MS in the past, and order them from the US instead. And I converted to HPI steering / camber blocks as I got tired of waiting for the ecx ones (these are the only real weak points on the truck, though my old man has yet to break anything on his torment in almost a year - he's a little kinder to his...).

HPI parts supply is obviously a lot better, but you'll pay more for an equivalent spec truck in the first place.

Parts are the key as I know I will be breaking things as I am rather clarkson like in my driving. :)

After having a think about where I will be bashing and my past experience of racing vs bashing I will probably be getting the Maverick Starda MT Evo.