• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Weather videos ! from forum users

Tamiyacowboy

So the weather, nature at its most awesome.

tonight we had a fairly big electrical storm and with todays technolgical advancements

we have devices on us all the time that captures still and live footage.

so here i will start with the Norwich electrical storn on 11th oct 2014 

• Like 1

SOFTWARE : 

i use one type of software for this workflow called virtualdub

here is the workflow pattern to follow.

open your video files ( for us its our images) click the first one and all the others in that file will open to.

Next you click video on the top tab selection dropdown. click filters, click add.

check 2:1 (high qual ) click ok, and click add again.

select RESIZE and change your image size if needed (this is the output size, my recordings are 1280x960, so i change to 1280x720)

click ok. and close the fliters box.

Now click video again and scroll down to FRAME RATE. the top option will be selected.

and would usually say 10fps, uncheck this and check the tab below it. pop in the magic number 25. and hit ok.

Now last tab is compression, it will use the codecs in your machine if you have any. i have a few codecs i intsalled

so i tend to choose H2*** or MPEG4 , leave yours to choose itself and click ok.

SOUND, we tend not to record sound so click the sound tab and select NO AUDIO ( it saves you about 14kb-200mb )

hit ok.

NOW we are ready to make the movie slice, hit the top dropdown tab saying FILE.

roll down ans select SAVE AS AVI. click ok

now select where you want movie saves and hit OK

let your computer do its thing. a small box will show mid screen with lots of infomation like bit rate video bit rate.

theres a little dropdown box notice it says normal, click it and select even faster.

two checked boxes show INPUT VIDEO - OUTPUT VIDEO , de-select these to gain quicker saving and running of the system.

Well done you just made your very own timelapse with Virtualdub 

do you have an 8gb movie that you know takes youtube weeks to upload ?

well using virtual dub we can import it and change the compression in the video dropdown tab.

we can also change things like contrast / brightness / hue yadda yadda.

we can also add scripts and in the filters new options come up like DE_SHAKER 

logo away and the likes. ( annoying timestamps can be cloned out, and de-shaker stops those wobbles somewhat ).

Now some cool stuff, 

im no expert myself but have tried some methods out.

Hyperlaspe : this is your timelapse but inbetween each photograph you move your camera 

by a certain amount of feet-inches- cm - mm.  here you will take your timelapse but move the camera a set distance along a set path

between each photograph the camera takes, this is NOT easy and takes some practice, your first few Hyperlapse will

look dog ugly, sticky and jittery, but keep at it, practice here makes you better and lets you see the areas of error.

to less movement of camera, instead of cm's you start to use inches and the flim starts to come together , the timelapse

and the camera run smooth together giving a sureal feeling. 

TimeStacking : this is your timelapse photographs stacked ontop of each other. 

i do this in G.I.M.P 

import all images as layers, select all images from number 2 onwards

all these images need to be made as screens in the layers dropdown right tool/layers pad.

then once done adjust levels contrast brightness add some saturation and your done.

these work well with the clouds coming towards the camera in small blobs, not huge monsters.

and mid afternoon into evening to gather the differnt colors cast by the setting sun.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Sorry it's not a video but all I got is pictures of some fog trying to cross the road the other morninge3upybe5.jpg

Then five mins later..

uga6yre8.jpg

Got some lightening pics somewhere but think there on the pc.

• 7 months later...