• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Charlesk's new 4wd racer - Kyosho ZX6

Picked this up today. Had to wait for a few weeks before I could get my hands on it, but hopefully the wait would of been worth it.

imagejpg1_zpsfaea31df.jpg

I have now gone all Kyosho with my race cars, since the 2 others have really worked well for me.

I'll build this with minimal upgrades (doesn't really need any) and hopefully have it ready for its first race in just over a week....

• Like 1

Managed to do a bit of work on it today:

Front and rear diffs in place as are hinge pin holders and suspension arms:

imagejpg4_zps38848b55.jpg

imagejpg5_zps1690f208.jpg

The ZX6 uses high grade ball diffs, against the current trend of gear diff in 4wds. If the quality is anything like their 2wd diffs, the durability shouldn't be a problem and I prefer the drive of a car with ball diffs.

Shock towers on

imagejpg6_zps40baf56c.jpg

That's it for tonight. Really good feel to the build so far.

The chassis looks very nice ive not seen many new kyosho's so will watch this build. My first rc was a kyosho pureten so will always like them. But the plastic diff gears is a surprise. Are they delrin or other high grade or will you upgrade them to alloy if available? 

The chassis looks top notch tho. 

edit just read alittle on it sounds very good. i thought it was a tc at first lol. 

tungsten ball diff too sounds good. 

Edited by RCbutcher

Plastic gears are pretty much standard for ball diffed 1/10ths. My Durango 410 has metal diffs but they are geared and basically scaled down 1/8th ones.

Will you be building saddle or shorty layout? After the way my Cobra 4210 drives I'm looking at converting my 410 to shorty/reverse motor too - it seems to be the way forwards for both classes.

The chassis looks very nice ive not seen many new kyosho's so will watch this build. My first rc was a kyosho pureten so will always like them. But the plastic diff gears is a surprise. Are they delrin or other high grade or will you upgrade them to alloy if available? 

The chassis looks top notch tho. 

edit just read alittle on it sounds very good. i thought it was a tc at first lol. 

tungsten ball diff too sounds good.

The gears are a combination of delrin/normal plastic. I do not believe metal ones are available for the ball diffs, at least yet. Saying that and having another 2 Kyosho racers I've not had any issues with their plastics yet. Time will tell but don't expect any issues.

• Like 1

Plastic gears are pretty much standard for ball diffed 1/10ths. My Durango 410 has metal diffs but they are geared and basically scaled down 1/8th ones.

Will you be building saddle or shorty layout? After the way my Cobra 4210 drives I'm looking at converting my 410 to shorty/reverse motor too - it seems to be the way forwards for both classes.

Correct, metal gears seem to be more the way on gear diffs, but saying that a few have now gone back to plastic spider gears in them (like the v4 410) for a lighter drivetrain.

Not many 4wd buggys left with ball diffs as std, the only other one I can think of is the 22-4.

D413, DEX410, B44.3, BMax4iii, K1Aero have all moved to gear diffs.

Unless I have issues with the ball diffs I'll be staying with them. My driving style suits them more. There are metal gear gear diff available as an option, but they off course are at Kyosho prices...

I'll be build this as a rear motor shorty, it's a reasonably heavy car so the shorty might help and got 6 of them so might as well used them lol...

Edited by charlesk

A bit more progress today.

Rear brace and lipo stop. Used a rudebits brass on instead of the stock plastic one for a bit more rear weight.

imagejpg1_zpscb6d9de4.jpg

Battery and holder. Used some alu posts mainly to get rid of the r-clips for the battery.

imagejpg2_zpsf7a32cc9.jpg

Kyosho's way of a floating servo mount. Simple and effective.

imagejpg3_zps86597162.jpg

Slipper and motor in place.

imagejpg5_zps7a05605c.jpg

Quite a bit more done over the weekend.

Built the turnbuckles (everybody's favourite part in build - not).

Instead of the stock steel ones I've used some Lunsford Ti ones :-) Nothing wrong with the stock one, just fancied a the Ti ones.

imagejpg2_zps7558389a.jpg

Electrics are now in and reasonably tidy.

imagejpg1_zps03a4e624.jpg

Started building the shocks. Everything stock other than the front springs, where I went to the super hard fronts. The stock front springs are a touch soft for high grip astro/indoor carpet.

imagejpg3_zps973049bc.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Had its first run, indoors on carpet this w/e.

A couple of small setup changes were needed to plant the rear end. This car has a lot of steering and rotates like a 2wd on tight sections. Great balance on jumps too, jumps flat, really easy to correct if needed and lands v.well.

I was out gunned (driving wise) on the meeting, but the car shows real promise.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this post and all the pics too, am thinking about building this car for my first 1/10 scale 4wd racer. Am a relative newbie so all this was useful stuff to me, please keep the post going with any new progress/tips etc.

Does this kit have the short rear axles same as ZX-5 and RB6?  I have seen reviews that recommend the Avid replacement long axle kit for those models.

Edited by Stilli

It does indeed, but although I don't doubt that the Avid axles might be stronger, I've been running the rb6 for nearly a year now and had no issues at all, so this will be staying on stock axles until a problem arises.

• Like 1

True, but if you use low profile nuts most will do. My wet sets are associated wheels...

What wheels did you want to use? I find the Kyosho one good and cheap enough.

Edited by charlesk
  • Like 1

True, but if you use low profile nuts most will do. My wet sets are associated wheels...

What wheels did you want to use? I find the Kyosho one good and cheap enough.

Mostly Pro-line

Charles,

we change rear antisquat to lose some rear end grip.

It makes car lot smoother in corners where grip is high, You will need to Dremel gearbox as the wishbones snag.

Have a look at Elliott Boots setup on kyoshoeurope.com

Thanks, I take it you refer to the 4/2mm spacing under the hinge pin holders?

If that is the case, that is what I run.