• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Savage - Ultimate Winter Basher - Build

rctech132

So due to the fact that ive now got 2 working savages, one of which i recently completed using some parts that came with a complete car i also bought i'm now left with a complete savage in pieces and an important decision to make.... Nitro or Electric?? I've got one flux and one X 4.6 already but id like to make something for winter bashing thats Both Waterproof and reliable. Its all the standard X 4.6 Drive train so Sintered Bulletproof diffs ect but the electrics id be using wont be over 4s and also not as much torque as the stock flux motor and esc so should be fine. Other option is to get a cheap nitro engine that runs and put that in for winter. Haven't decided yet so everyones welcome to comment their opinions and ideas if any. Anyway hers some pics of what ive done so far and what ive got:

So ive almost built the front and rear ends which wont change weather i go nitro or electric. Diffs are brand new and all rubber sealed bearing new aswell. Rear end is missing one upper arm so if anyone got one for free by any chance they have in the parts box? Im trying to keep this build as cheap as possible. 

Got a standard set of shocks ill clean up and re-oil.

And heres all the parts left over from other savages. So ive got a Flux gearbox and a nitro gearbox aswell as flux tvp's and nitro tvp's and batt boxes and all nitro bits ect. So as you can see i'm free to choose either way need some input from you guys which will be best for winters running.

Ill update this thread when ever ive done something worth posting and hopefully it wont be too boring for you guys ;)

Edited by rctech132

I just want something that I can take out no matter what the weathers like and get covered in mud without any electrical issues haha and I like having something to do now and again

Still don't know nitro or electric

Decided to go with electric for now as Nitro is just not quite as reliable as id like it to be for cold winter days. Don't like the idea of sitting on the floor trying to get it too start all the time either due to the cold. So Electric it is! For now....

Anyway ive jumped ahed a bit and built up as much as i can really before i get the parts i need. So heres some pics of how it sits right now:

Gonna be running the old 1965kv motor and 80amp esc from my Trophy Truggy. Not the best motor and esc combo by far but its been through quite a bit of abuse so far and id rate it water resistant how it sits so after some waterproofing it should be good as anything for winter. Also dont want the most expensive combo to be running in the wet, muddy, cold conditions haha. Parts i still need are the rear centre dog bone and front left upper arm. Have not got a servo so ill be getting a waterproof one not sure if ill go cheapo servo or not yet...
Gonna be waterproofing the esc by liquid electrical tape coating this part^ Now i need some help here as never done this before i've watched some videos and so far learned that i just coat the whole thing but leave the heatsink exposed then re- assemble everything and i should be good to go. Advice on this would be appreciated as don't wanna mess it up haha

There is another method for waterproofing, it's called corrosion-x. It is an oil that you soak the circuit board in and it fully deters water for 6 months or so, I think it's about

Added shocks been all cleaned up and re- oiled smooth as silk now
Received my rear centre dogbone and font upper arm as well today so fitted those
Now looking more like a roller

Added the old 14mm hex wheels and tyres which are still in good nick just not too sure how long they will last! MAy as well use them till they round out though.
And heres the finished roller. Chucked on a 3.5 body which is fine for what ill be doing with it and i think it looks alright tbh. Body is very high but i kinda like it has that mud truck/ monster truck style of a super high body. I know some people wont like the high body but ive already go 2 other savages with low bodys so may aswell try something else. Another eason is i dont have the normal body posts so im using the high ones to save money haha

Thanks :) Need to waterproof esc then that goes in and ill probably waterproof the receiver as well and get a waterproof servo so this thing is ready for anything!

Definitely not a fan of the high body, but other than that it's come along nicely :)

Can't see those 14mm wheels lasting long with brushless power though, they used to strip on mine when it was just a 3.5 nitro!

Yup I'm not liking it either but atm I don't have the normal body posts and I'm trying to keep things cheap. I'm about to try waterproofing using liquid electrical tape on my esc hopefully that goes well!

Ive covered my esc's circuit board in liquid tape about 4 layers to fill all the gaps and then put the case back on and put another bit around the gap and wires so hopefully its all sealed up now. Left the heatsink exposed. Just tested it and all works perfectly! Success! :D

• Like 1

Right bit of an update. This is how it sits currently. Nicely sealed (i hope) esc using liquid electrical tape. and im going to be using a spektrum SR301 receiver. One thing im not too sure about is the arial length which is very short. Ive including a pic of the ariel so could some one let me know if this is normal. I read on an american forum that they are meant to be so short but need to be sure haha.

Right and as the weathers been so bad and i got bored i decided to give my WInter Savage LIGHT!!! Was going through the spares draw and saw my light kit from my scx-10... hmmmmm i wonder.... and about 20 mins later i ha come up with this:

I simply drilled 4 holes in the bumper using a drill bit that i honestly guessed would be about right and simply squeezed the led's in. Tight fit so they shouldn't be going anywhere. I still gave the back of them a coat of liquid tape though to stop light leaking out the back and to ensure they don't fall out. I personally haven't seen another savage with such lights on it so i'm pretty happy with the outcome. I know the right hand light bucket hasn't been drilled centrally but otherwise its not bad.

Right bit of an update. This is how it sits currently. Nicely sealed (i hope) esc using liquid electrical tape. and im going to be using a spektrum SR301 receiver. One thing im not too sure about is the arial length which is very short. Ive including a pic of the ariel so could some one let me know if this is normal. I read on an american forum that they are meant to be so short but need to be sure haha.

Right and as the weathers been so bad and i got bored i decided to give my WInter Savage LIGHT!!! Was going through the spares draw and saw my light kit from my scx-10... hmmmmm i wonder.... and about 20 mins later i ha come up with this:

I simply drilled 4 holes in the bumper using a drill bit that i honestly guessed would be about right and simply squeezed the led's in. Tight fit so they shouldn't be going anywhere. I still gave the back of them a coat of liquid tape though to stop light leaking out the back and to ensure they don't fall out. I personally haven't seen another savage with such lights on it so i'm pretty happy with the outcome. I know the right hand light bucket hasn't been drilled centrally but otherwise its not bad.

mine did 4x blue 2 in shell 2 in bumper amd 4x white same again with the reds at rear lol

use a super bright white and a bright blue for a xenon look :)

Sounds cool put up a pic when you've done it. The main reason I didn't do it in a shell is with my bashing style they just get destroyed and then it's a waste really so fore they're staying in the bumper

Most 2.4 aerials are short, some people even coil them up in the Rx box, I wouldn't recommend that. Fit a straw that allows a bit of the aerial to stick out and you should be good to go.