• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My T-Maxx Thread.

TMaxxDave

Hey to all, this is my thread for my T-Maxx.

Ever since the Maxx was released many moons ago, I've always wanted one. But never really having the money, it was only ever a dream toy to own. I had the big poster on the bedroom wall, and looked on in awe every time i went into my local hobby shop.

This is my 1st Nitro Truck.

Fast forwards 13-14years, and I finally get round to having some spare cash, and decide to buy one.

Turns out it's not the dream truck I had thought of.

Plagued with issues from the start.

I bought it via Facebook, off a guy I'd seen selling on eBay - 1st issue.

It took much longer than I hoped to turn up - 2nd issue.

When it did eventually arrive ( I was told it was RTR ) it almost was, needed batteries as you'd expect and a cover for the Tx, but i had one laying around and i knew it was missing.

So 1st time I get to play with it, I'm in work on a weekend, (it was a slow day) and it wouldn't start, a bit of tweaking, and it eventually runs, badly. Underpowered, over fueling to death. 3rd issue.

So when I get home from work, it goes into the cupboard until i can get to the LHS.

LHS, I take it in and ask them to make it work.

Couple of days later..... LHS rings me.

OWB is on its way out in the EZ start system - recommend to replace with Pull Start
Clutch is pants - LHS adjusted.
Engine is full of rust?! - 4th issue.

Trip to the LHS to collect truck.

Got home, stripped the engine, full of rust, from previous owner not using after run oil.

So fully stripped, cleaned and rebuilt it......or so I thought, I managed to rebuild it and put the piston in the wrong way round :-(

So 1st and 2nd engine rebuild later, it's back in the truck, and good to go.

Buying parts along the way, which I'll list later.

1st decent run outside, and it's running alright, so I take it back to the LHS for them to tune it as I'm not too sure how to tune.

Phone call later that day, fuel tank is leaking, it's drawing in air, it can't be tuned..... Mildly annoying.

Brought it home, resealed it, took it back. They agree to tune it.

Later that day. It's still drawing in air :-(. The carb is loose in its housing even though the pinch bolt is tight :-(.

Luckily the guy in the LHS had a spare carb at home,

• Like 1

Thought i had more pics than this for the engine rebuild :unsure:

So with the engine rebuilt twice, all nice and shiny, things are finally starting to look good for the Maxx, its much easier to tune without being full of rust.

So i have it out for a couple of runs, all is good in the world, then i decide to run it on a field with some long-ish grass..... long story short, my Spur Gear and slipper clutch die a very horrible melty death!

10699202_10154587941480252_1880727650_n_

The engine has to come out again to replace the spur gear, so while the engine is out, i decide sod it, lets strip the truck back to chassis and give a full clean and rebuild.

P1080868_zpscc69ec23.jpg

P1080869_zpsae56afbf.jpg

P1080870_zpsf23b9bfa.jpg

P1080871_zpsbbea9e02.jpg

P1080872_zpsd8d12cbb.jpg

P1080875_zpsc247bd78.jpg

P1080874_zps02ad7706.jpg

P1080873_zps11527515.jpg

While its in pieces i decided to replace all the bearings with a kit off Saabmania.

P1080878_zpsed7d2637.jpg

P1080876_zps9d7322cd.jpg

P1080877_zps37181a86.jpg

P1080881_zps34bb8bda.jpg

P1080880_zpsf5d4925a.jpg

P1080884_zpsfe996203.jpg

P1080886_zps557d4b83.jpg

P1080891_zps84f6edcd.jpg

P1080892_zps82a4dff8.jpg

So other the last couple of weeks, i stripped the truck back to chassis and did a slow full rebuild. Both front and rear diffs, and all 8 shocks were stripped, cleaned and rebuilt.

The diffs have got 100k wt oil, and the shocks have got 45k wt oil. I'm hoping 100k wt is thick enough not to leak when its warm.

I treated her to some RPM skid plates as i think the look good and i think its silly the transmission and brake is exposed.

List of stuff i've bought so far for her.

Skid Plates

Team Orion 1900mah hump pack

Slipper Clutch

Spur Gear

HPI Starter Kit - Glow Start and stuffs

Glow Plug

Decent Batteries for Tx

New 3 Channel Tx and Rx

Diff Oil

Shock Oil

Pull Start

Bearing Kit

New Shell - Standard Maxx

Paint

Metal Hub thingys for the wheels - only 2 atm the store didn't have 4.

Shocker Mount screws as i managed to loose one :(

Carb

Fuel Tank

• Like 1

T-Maxx / E-Maxx were game changers!!

Before them there were Clods and Juggs that could do 10-15 mph, then these came along with 28 mph ... !!

Things have moved on, and people don't just hope to be able to climb and jump big hills, but expect to, and without much damage!

Al.

• Like 1

That will do for me :-)

Won't be fitting that engine as i dont wanna kill the diffs or spend silly amounts upgrading them. The Maxx is the only monster truck id have. Just my personal choice. The next thing id like to buy RC wise would be a truggy

• 2 weeks later...

Had a heart in mouth moment yesterday. The Rx batteries died. Full throttle towards a tree..... missed the tree but nearly ended up in the river behind it. Luckily it got wedged but with the wheels still spinning so it didnt kill the transmission. Managed to get to it and cut the fuel. No damage visible so hoping its all good.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be an idea to get a failsafe dude lol....Reasonably cheap and easy to set, that way if the batteries die again the failsafe will kick in and apply the brakes for ya.

tut tut lol.

i dont think that hpi g3.0 engine would be faster than the traxxas doubt it'd kill diffs its an .18 size same as the traxxas you have fitted. 

To upgrade this just buy parts from the 3.3 tmaxx alot of bits are updated inc drive line. dollarhobbies have great prices. 

If it does wheelies under its own power and seems fast then no point in swapping engine just get a good pipe and swap gearing.

wide ratio internal gears too.