• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Diff and shock oil on my baja

Bishop88

really depends on how you want the car to react and what you plan on doing with it.

shock weight for jumping will be different to just driving on a raod for example

same with diff oil

stock set up is 40wt in the front and 5wt in the rea for shocks, and 1k oil in the diff with some grease in the gearbox.

i'm currently running 30wt front and 10wt rear with 30k oil in the diff and high temp lithium based grease in the gearbox...

i want to change the rear shocks to 20wt on next rebuild though.

stock shock oil would serve you fairly well aslong as the ground isn't rough.

diff oil tohugh i find too thin, 7k worked better, many use 10k, if you have a more powerful engine then you may want to go higher than that.

as i said it really depends on how you think the car is handling.

shock and diff set up vary from person to person

for rougher ground i prefer a slightly harder set up so to avoid the chassis bottoming out on some of the bigger bumps and dip i tend to drive over, same effect can be done with stiffer springs but i fine that to be more about car weight (heavier car, stiffer springs)

you best better is to buy several bottles of different weights and test them out until i get to a set up you are happy with (i went through a godd 20 combinations and i'm still not happy.

i also want to get a 2nd set of shocks that i can swap out for when i go jumping the car as the set up on the baja effects take off angle and needs different oil and pistons to be any good, but it make the car handle like a pig on stilts on flatter ground as a result.