• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nissan Qashqai 1.5 DCi.. Anyone know anything about these engines?

HYPER-BOY

Just had a 2nd hand QQ (2010 facelift) with 60k and full Nissan SH, I can be quite particular at certain things... Got all wheels balanced and tracking sorted and it drives lovely..

Car had a full service just before I had it with Mobil 1 ESP Fully Synth 5w30 and I popped a bit of Wynn's lifter fluid in and the cleaned the EGR with Wynn's spray.. Made the engine very lively and rev's nice.

ONE THING I HATE, it the rattle of the engine under low down load, it's a high pitch tappet rattle and it's doing my head in, not sure what it could be... Timing ever so slightly out? Injectors? Inlet flaps rattling maybe or something else..

Any ideas?  My brother has a 1.5dci Megane on a 2003, think it's the 85bhp model and it definitely doesn't give this rattle.

Once you get up to cruise speed and come off the throttle it disappears, so it's at low rev's which makes me think its a rattle on the engine.. 
Edited by HYPER-BOY

Reading various bits of info on the net, there are reported cases of frayed timing belts, leading to them jumping on the cam and writing off engines, without any warning.

There is also plenty of griping in general about noisy engines, annoying rattles and other maladies.

As we know from MSUK, information on forums is at best speculative, and very likely to cause mis-diagnosis and upset.

Take what you will from the above ;)

• Like 1

I don't upset, so that's ok.  It's not a 'crap' engine, my aunt had a 2003 Clio with the 65bhp 1.5dci and it had 160k on when she sold it, never had any real issues and was returning average of 50+ mpg.

I agree it's not the 'best' engine but if I could solve that annoying metallic noise then the car would be great.

I'm glad you don't upset either  :thumbsup:

Honestly, I spent some time searching on forums for a definitive answer, and nothing similar was reported; most rattles turned out to be poor fitting trim (especially heating vents) and the heat shield by the firewall. Most owners did report that they felt the engines ran noisily, especially on cold start up, and as noted, there are incidents of the cam belt jumping. 

It's easy to identify a external rattle (i.e, anything that isn't a tappet or internal to the engine itself.

Put the cars on axle stands or just jack it up and go around it with a heavy rubber mallet and hit everything that could move or isn't welded down. This simulates movement from the engine and if something is rattling you will hear it right away. Hit everything, the lower arms the suspension, the exhaust, the header etc until you hear your rattle. If you don't hear one from hitting everything then it's just the engine.

• 2 months later...

Noj has a point with the cam belt fray. It can slap the block on the way round and sound like tapping. It could also be a pully but these would usually happen all the time, so if you lift the bonnet with the engine running you should be able to hear it.

These engines Arnt bad at all. They are however quite oil fussy and don't benifit from being cleaned internally by that I Mean engine wash or similar products. It might be worth draining the oil and filling with whatever the handbook recommends