• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/8 scale newbie. Esc?

Syncro

Hi guys, need to sort out an esc for my newly acquired SSE truggy.

Tempted by a Mamba Monster but not sure if it's worth the extra cash, I won't be racing.

Or would something like an Xerun 150a do the job.

Thanks guys.

Mamba monster esc can be an expensive puft of smoke. Its not 150a either so the hobbywing i think is better.

The reason alot of mamba escs fail in the big trucks is cos ther not rated for them i think 5kg max weight is ther limit but not many think of that.

Hobbywing 150 can be used in 1/5 baja so should easily push truggy and trucks. With the 2in1 card you get basic pc programming too.

• Like 2

Right. Gave the truggy a quick run this morning.

Got a bit off an issue.

After a short while (less than a minute) the car looses power then stops altogether. Then after a few seconds it's fine again.

Then it looses power again.

Seems to do it more when under higher load (on grass)

Led is not flashing.

It's just as if the lipo cut off is activating.

But the cell voltage is 3.8v.

I'm using 2, 2s 50-100c lipos.

Any thoughts?

What is the LVC set at? With the batteries at 3.8 they will drop to below that when in use. Maybe you are dropping below the current LVC threshold. Then again, when I used to trip the LVC on my 120a hobbywing the car would slow down, stop and not move again until I turned it off and on again and you say yours is fine after a few seconds. I haven't set of the LVC on the 150a hobbywing I just bought so I don't know how it behaves when the LVC is tripped.

What motor are you using? Not that I can give you advice about it or anything but do you know what temperature it's getting up to? I think these ESC's have a ther

Mail cut off too but I don't know if it cuts off when the motor gets too hot or if it just cuts out when the esc gets too hot.

Also, have you set up the esc for use with your tx/rx?

Edited by optimus

Thanks for the info.

It happens after literally a few minutes of running.

The motor thermal cut out only works with sensored motors I think.

Mines a 4 pole 2100 Kv non sensored.

I've read that the LVC settings on these can be a little inaccurate so if that's what the issue is it may just mean playing with the settings.

Just to add, it happens more if running on grass (more load?) than on gravel (less load?).

Edited by Syncro

Yeah, I read about inaccurate LVC settings too. I tested my hyper in my garden yesterday (at a guess the grass is around 4 inches long or so) and it just tore through the grass without any issue. Matter of fact it ripped grass out if I punched the throttle hard (must turn down the punch). Grass was flying everywhere but yeah, if your grass is very long there will be more strain for sure. Short grass shouldn't be an issue though. I'm running a 2200kv sensorless with the 150a hobbywing btw.

Hobbywing kit tends to overread by 0.4v on the lvc.

Set it to 3.4v, run, check cell voltage on charger, adjust on ESC if necessary (I suspect you will set it at 3.0v on the ESC in the end...)

Also, set the cell number manually rather than leaving it in autodetect. I know generally the ESC struggles on odd numbers rather than even, however it won't hurt to set it manually.

I assume all solder joints are good?

What mah are the lipos and are they in good condition with healthy cells?

The lipos are Nano Tech 5300 mah 50/100c.

Good condition and cells are balanced.

The LVC is set to 3.4 at the mo I think.

I've got a lipo alarm aswell so I'll try it at 3.0v and see what gives.

Thanks again guys.

So, tried it again and with the LVC set lower it definitely makes a difference.

Oddly though, after experimenting with the LVC and ending up down to 2.6v on the program box, when it cut it then, it was at 3.4v per cell.

Even accounting for the voltage 'sag' thats a fairly big inaccuracy.

But, what I still can't work out is why, if this is an LVC issue, why does the esc led not flash?

Edited by Syncro

Update.

LVC set to 3.0v. Esc slowing then stopping. Lipo showing 3.8v straight after.

No flashing led on esc.

I've even tried turning LVC off completely.

Same thing happens.

So far not impressed with this xerun:(

Orange RX.

TURNIGY hi torque servo. Not sure of exact spec, came with car.

Haven't got any other lipos to try but, if it was the lipos dropping voltage wouldn't that show up on the lipo checker? Was checking quickly after it slowed. Ran with body off etc.

Also, with the LVC on, if it was the lipos, wouldn't that trigger the LVC?

As I say, there's no flashing led showing 'LVC' on the esc.

Edited by Syncro

Orange RX.

TURNIGY hi torque servo. Not sure of exact spec, came with car.

Haven't got any other lipos to try but, if it was the lipos dropping voltage wouldn't that show up on the lipo checker? Was checking quickly after it slowed. Ran with body off etc.

Also, with the LVC on, if it was the lipos, wouldn't that trigger the LVC?

As I say, there's no flashing led showing 'LVC' on the esc.

not always, and checking them after the event won't show anything as it's how they are dropping under high load. and in theory yes it should unless they are returning to above LVC once the load is reduced

I think I've sorted it.

Ran it yesterday, and today to make sure, with my other pair of identical lipos. Only difference is one is brand new.

Ran faultlessly all the way to lipo cut off, with led flashing.

Lipos appear to be a bit past their best.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

8)