• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Crash landing

Savage_Smithy

so this happened

qzYNut4.jpg

Basically it was in RTL mode and it was all going well when suddenly at about 15 feet it just binned itself, no idea why but the end result was a destroyed telemetry module + antenna, smashed servo and i can only assume some of the holes in the aluminium arms have become slotted because one arm can move a good 20-30 degrees despite no damage to either plate. Credit to the frame though it was an extrmely hard landing and once i straightened the arm positions it was back in the air minus camera and telemetry in minutes.

looks lower than it was

Edited by Savage_Smithy

That came down with a bump! Is that with an apm controller?

I was looking into the values mine has as default, to land. I'm wondering after one 'landing' if it'd be better to bring the copter back into a given height and have it loiter then for human control. My f450 clone with the silly high legs is a little unstable to my mind. The onboard baro isn't brilliant either but 15' to drop, if that is the case, is too much.

Has rtl worked ok before?

yeah its always worked fine, lands pretty accurately and gently just this one time it decided to just go ahead and nope.

When i got to it the ic2? connector was out on the apm but i assume that happened as a result of the crash but cant be sure, to be honest i'd still trust the autopilot to take control for me without hesitation, anything can malfunction at some point. Could well be that in the course of flying the "ground level" had ended up out of sync and it thought it had landed. I guess i could check the logs and see if that holds any clues.

I'm just amazed at how well my frame took the knock, after i straightened the arms it was back in the air immediately and still super stable, really pleased with the apm, i can even hover it perfectly still without touching the controls in basic stabilize mode, no altitude lock or loiter mode needed

Being able to almost fly straight back off is good. Try that with one of the HK V1 quad frames made from match sticks ;)

I've smashed my 250 sized timber frame this week, I need to find a hour to get it back in the air. I did have it cart wheeling a few times before that though :)

I'm slowly getting into trusting the apm I have, I still expect it to go all Terminator on me and try to take over the world :tank: