• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Oh....Balls......

jp79er

Stupid me.

When I went out today I took my LiPO and after I had finished thrashing around the park it went in to the skate park....where it took a bit of hammering, go back to the office and thought I had better check the old lipo, and I have cracked the case...DDDDOOOHHHH.....I have taken the case apart and all three cells look fine no sign of puffing or anything. So have put the hard case back on and then taped it up solid.....

It was about half hour between taking out of the car and checking the cells.....would I have noticed any puffing with in that time? or seen a problem...

Hoping its all right, should teach me a lesson, as I had the 3 NiMH's in my bag and should have just swapped it over before taking on the jumps.....

It has adhesive foam padding blocks only a couple of mm think top and bottom and its held pretty fast in place...but coming down from about 6ft straight on its tail on the concrete probably not helped...lol..but the car took it well i was quite impressed..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Only ever had one issue like that but I was sending the Mini 8ight straight up a quarter pipe as fast as I could lol, now that came down hard, for it's size and weight class.

Thats exactly what I do...but with a 3c it kicked pretty high....then crunch on yhe back end with the nose pointing at the sky...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Presuming that means 3s lol, 3c would be 3 current, 3s is cells (even though it's spelled with a C) :P to avoid confusion.

In fairness though, if the LiPo is puffed to the point of being dangerous it would bend the case anyway so theirs no real reason to open the case up.

It'll only void the warranty if you ever need to use it.

I wasn't being funny when I said that by the way, just if you ever need help with current advice, people may get confused over what you mean lol.

Wasn't thinking you were being funny at all mate, I keep doing it over and over again....you would think I would have learnt by the 20th time of making the same mistake.....LOL

Edited by jp79er

If a cell had been damaged then it would puff up fairly quickly.

Keep an eye on it when you charge it ( should do that anyway )

Not all hard-case packs are equal in terms of strength. I have some of the Turnigy 2S hardcase packs that cracked very easily in normal use. No skate park ramping....just relatively slow speed impacts on a well secured battery, and the pack's case cracked.

I'd probably charge it and give the car a run with the shell off ( just in case ) and see if it's all OK. I would think the pack should be fine though. Running a pack through with the shell off would allow you to see any problems sooner, and get the battery out quicker if you had to.

Put in storage mode, as I have bent the front cvd and a rear shaft....so won't give it full beans till they are back in shape. But all seems just fine with and it balanced and got to their 3.8v with out issue.

Posted by me ????

Lipo fire = byebye car then. Dame gunna get some padding around my lipos as don't have hard Case type :(

P.s who the hell does that by a gas bottle and was that 2 more lipos on the floor next to the one he punctured?

This thread has made me think (for a change!). My rock crawler has the lipo mounted down between but behind the front axle. Quite easy for it to get punctured on the corner of a rock there I reckon, and then I'd have to spot it straight away and somehow get the lipo off the car before it went up in flames. I think I'm going to make an alloy guard plate for it to sit in now.

• Like 2