• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

King motor engine parts - who's used them?

m4drx

Hi Guys,

I recently spent a fair amount with RC Modelz and built myself a 29cc engine to replace my knackered 23cc engine in my KM baja. Bar an issue with me first putting a copper head gasket in it, resulting in no compression, it is now running very well indeed now a tank and half in. It seems just as gutsy as my CY 29cc engine in my HPI baja.

I thought I was buying genuine CY at the time of purchasing all the parts but it seems all the parts stock is KM. What I wanted to know is how many of you have used the head/engine kits, bearings, oil seals and other parts and how have they worked for you?

I'll be building myself a standby engine soon which will be a 4 bolt 30.5cc with stuffed crank etc. At this stage I'm not sure whether to go with KM parts from RC Modelz or CY/Zenoah parts from elsewhere.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Edited by m4drx

Have a KM ...it does not have a KM engine.

I think that about sums up my view on them.

They are fine to get you started, and provide a cheap way to get rolling if you are on a budget.....but one thing I would NOT do is invest money building one with tuned up parts. If you want to build a higher performance engine, build it from the best components or you are basically throwing money away. You want good quality bearings, good quality oil seals, and higher quality plating than KM will give you.

I have both a fairly stock KM and a fully modified hpi mate. I love my KM. As a basher, you can't beat them for price.

I take your point regarding bearings and oil seals but is there really anything wrong with the pistons, heads or crank cases or is this just typical brand prejudice?

I can build a 30.5cc engine from KM parts for

• Like 1

My KM is strong and responsive, holds a tune and is a hoot.

It's certainly brand prejudice to a point as a lot of negative points raised come from a lot of people who have never owned said items/parts.

I've got 2 petrol clones and 3 genuine kits and can honestly say a end user wouldn't know the difference until they start to dig a bit more.

I may of been lucky etc in my experiance but I would be the first to rate the KM engines as a good cheap engine.

• Like 1

They are a CHEAP engine.... exactly.

Not something I would base a custom build on though. No point in throwing stuffed cranks etc. at one. Amstrad Syndrome IMHO. You want a solid foundation to build on....and for me, that would mean paying a bit more for a better quality base. There is a difference between 'brand prejudice' and common sense. There is brand prejudice out there...and fanboy-ism. Both sides ignore large amounts of fact to focus on their belief. I've run both ( have one of each in the shed ) dug deeper into both.

KM motors have a place, and are fine as a budget basher motor. Don't see anyone using one as the basis for a race motor though.......They survive as they are basically gardeners tools repurposed in the first place. With proper care, they can last longer....but the more you stress one, the more you will find the weaknesses.

The OP was looking at building up a motor from components and spending

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

I recently spent a fair amount with RC Modelz and built myself a 29cc engine to replace my knackered 23cc engine in my KM baja. Bar an issue with me first putting a copper head gasket in it, resulting in no compression, it is now running very well indeed now a tank and half in. It seems just as gutsy as my CY 29cc engine in my HPI baja.

That bottom end was carefully ported by me, which is why it's running so well. It's pretty much what we all said at the bash on Sunday, spend a little more and get some quality!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The KM engine is a little hit and miss. If you are going to build one be carefull and check the components carefully. Use oil seals from zenoah,bearings are all from the same manufacturer despite brand names. Make sure the two bottom halves of the engine when bolted together are flat if not rub these down until flat  or you will never get a seal on the head. The KM 4 bolt big bore kit is generally a good base to start from use zenoah gaskets and it should be a good reliable engine. I have built many KM engines and they can be reliable as long as its built properly in the first place.

• Like 1

Hi guys what's the porting like on the km engine when it arrives to you in the post,? Is it ok to bolt straight in or does it won't fettling up a bit? Or is it ok?

its fine. Honestly, the biggest difference is in the imagination of those who haven't used them. 

• Like 1

Do you think they would benefit another going over with the polishing wheel? Or do you think there definitely ready to go straight in? And on a average how long do they last? I just won't to no so i no wether to bother with porting myself or go with it already ported, i haven't done it for many of years so I think I'll go with the ported already idea lol! Dosnt say much for my porting hay! Lol! The info will be much appreciated pal thanks